FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · More Icefields - Kluane

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · More Icefields - Kluane

Last week, I took a break from work and flew to Whitehorse and then drove to Kluane. Kluane is just north of Skagway on the east side of Alaska, located in the extreme southwestern corner of Yukon, Canada.

I posted some shots a few days ago. I am just going to post 4 more from the ice field but it was amazing and I can't decide which I like most.

Comments and feedback are appreciated. Scott

5 - 8 of 8 from same series https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1310549 earlier post

I won't bore you with more but if you want to see more http://stoness.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Kluane/43367494_jtzLsq#!i=3438935719&k=pB8DZ3T

5 The ice fields merge and exit into a Lake

6 Same Icefields with a late Evening Ligth

7 Same Icefields but with a late Evening Light

8Huge Iceberg in the Lake from the Icefields

Aug 07, 2014 at 06:43 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · More Icefields - Kluane

Scott, I am loving these! My preferences are number 7, then 5, then 6. The third image really stands out to me. It seems more balanced to me. The glacial arc at the bottom makes you wonder what else is all around this area! What a magnificent area. Thanks for sharing these.
Keith W.

Aug 07, 2014 at 07:12 PM
NCAndy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · More Icefields - Kluane

What is so amazing is the scale and scope of these glaciers. When I passed by them on the river they seemed huge but didn't seem very long. But flying out over the same glaciers we rafted by, they were so immense, 20, 30 even 40 miles long. Scott, you should get a finders fee from these outfitters because your pictures make everyone want hire a plane to go there. They bring back recent memories and I'll be going again for sure.

Aug 07, 2014 at 10:22 PM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · More Icefields - Kluane

I think #7 might work pretty nice in a BW version. Nice shots!!

Aug 07, 2014 at 11:08 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · More Icefields - Kluane

kwilliam8: Glad you like 7. The glacial flow is such a sight to see. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

NCAndy: I look forward to helping the outfitters out, even though it will just cause me to have an even harder time finding a hotel. There are only two small good hotels in Haines Junction and very limited groceries and restaurants. I stayed at a $75/night place because the others were full (Gold Dust Motel) which was clean and adequate and friendly but I know my wife would not have enjoyed it. Cars were almost impossible to rent from Whitehorse. If you go, rent the car first, then hotel, then airfare. Sadly, Canadians don't seem aware of the Yukon whereas the Europeans fly in direct from Frankfurt and enjoy. A hidden gem of an area. Glad they helped you remember. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

can0nfan2379: I shall try it in B/W. I rarely do b/w because thats all I could afford and do when I had a dark room as a kid, back when the dinosaurs were wandering the land. Thanks for the suggestion. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:48 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · More Icefields - Kluane

I'm normally not impressed with aerial shots but these (and your earlier post) really capture something special. Thanks for sharing!
Dave

Aug 08, 2014 at 08:48 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · More Icefields - Kluane

dbehrens wrote:
I'm normally not impressed with aerial shots but these (and your earlier post) really capture something special. Thanks for sharing!
Dave

The glaciers flows in Kluane are really a wonder to see. And the portal to stick my lens out the side improved it considerably. Glad you like aerial shots. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 08, 2014 at 09:41 AM
dwa652
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · More Icefields - Kluane

I cannot decide if I like 6 or 7 best. Both fantastic. 8 is very cool too - it would be interesting to see it in various types of light.

Great stuff!
Don

Aug 08, 2014 at 02:25 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · More Icefields - Kluane

dwa652 wrote:
I cannot decide if I like 6 or 7 best. Both fantastic. 8 is very cool too - it would be interesting to see it in various types of light.

Great stuff!
Don

Glad you like 6,7. The challenge is finding a nice day and then choosing earlier or late for light. Maybe next time I will try mid day with a circular polarizer. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 09, 2014 at 12:27 AM
B Landau
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · More Icefields - Kluane

I prefer #6 from this second batch. I think the tighter framing produces a more pleasing composition compared to #7. The lines created by the single glacier create a nice "S" curve that leads your eye from mountains to foreground.

Aug 09, 2014 at 12:41 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · More Icefields - Kluane

B Landau wrote:
I prefer #6 from this second batch. I think the tighter framing produces a more pleasing composition compared to #7. The lines created by the single glacier create a nice "S" curve that leads your eye from mountains to foreground.

Glad you like 6. Thanks for the detailed feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 09, 2014 at 12:59 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.