Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · New to 1D Mark III - Use SD Card, Other Advice?

BobMarkey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · New to 1D Mark III - Use SD Card, Other Advice?

Wow. On my Mark I, I would sometimes get 600 shots. That's it. With the MKIIn, I can usually get through an entire basketball or football game with lots of clicking.

Not having at least two or three spares would be strange to me.

Aug 08, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · New to 1D Mark III - Use SD Card, Other Advice?

As jcowell said "Of course, it all depends on the subject, exposure, post-processing, presentation format, yadda, yadda, yadda..."

It's a nice camera. I wish it wasn't so pixel challenged, that's my only complaint.

Aug 08, 2014 at 11:01 PM
anselwannab
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · New to 1D Mark III - Use SD Card, Other Advice?

I get 1000 shots in an afternoon, little chimping. That is with 3rd party bats, forget the brand. I'd do that a couple weekends in a row with issue. The only thing is I would sometimes get a low bat/blinking H saying it was going to slow down, but it never did. That is with a bat I know is fully charged.

I actually did try the two cards type. I didn't see a big difference. I got like 23-26 raws before hitting the buffer. That was with a current udma cf and an ok ds card.

At 10fps you aren't taking pictures, you are Hoovering a swath of time...

Aug 09, 2014 at 12:34 AM
ebiggs
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · New to 1D Mark III - Use SD Card, Other Advice?

Bob
There is nothing on a Mk III that isn't better compared to the Mk II, or Mk IIn series. Everything is better. It seems to me that there is a line in camera performance and it is between the Mk IIn and the Mk III.
The Mk III is a "modern" camera and has most of the newer features that some of the newest cameras have.

Two of the biggies are no more firewire and it uses a lithium battery.

Aug 09, 2014 at 11:14 AM
BobMarkey
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · New to 1D Mark III - Use SD Card, Other Advice?

I found this old thread on this subject informative.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1281435/0

Aug 09, 2014 at 10:25 PM
BobMarkey
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · New to 1D Mark III - Use SD Card, Other Advice?

There is so little 1D series talk on here (especially about the 1DIII), but obviously there is interest.

Here is a video I found last night that was helpful in the menu and options setup of the 1D Mark III.

http://youtu.be/KGYNidLEk3I?list=FLbtdoZjqaiOOKspmCoriDFw

Aug 10, 2014 at 06:18 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · New to 1D Mark III - Use SD Card, Other Advice?

John Stuart-Clarke used to have a page of settings but I think it has gone - solid AF settings. Worth looking at the 1D Mark III BIF sites.

I buy these for mine, but try and find the ones with top LCD covers too: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131200970699?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I took mine out for a walk in the park yesterday. Batt's last forever. I shot 1800 images and ditched 1000 - 32GB card was about half full.

Aug 10, 2014 at 06:55 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · New to 1D Mark III - Use SD Card, Other Advice?

Ball!

Aug 10, 2014 at 07:23 PM
BobMarkey
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · New to 1D Mark III - Use SD Card, Other Advice?

I shot my first nighttime college football game with my new-to-me 1D Mark III last weekend. I noticed that proper exposure was around ISO 2500 to 3200 at 1/500 to 1/640 at F/2.8. BUT, on my 1D and 1D Mark IIn, I used to shoot that same stadium at ISO 1600 at 1/500 and F/2.8.

What is going on here? I doubt the lighting has changed (newish stadium). Was the IIn more sensitive than the Mark III?

I like the body, but I do notice that it will sometimes freak out when following a player on several consecutive shots (daytime). Focus will blur out and eventually recover, especially if there is any contrasty background. I don't remember having any of that problem with the original 1D and only a little of it with the IIn.

Battery life has been good, with the Canon battery and a knock-off. I can shoot an entire football game and not use up a battery.

ISO 3200 is O.K. but not as nice as I had hoped it would be. I doubt I would like 6400.

One issue I need to figure out is related to having images recorded on both the CF and SD cards. I have the images starting with a BOB on the CF card but the same images on the SD card start with _OB. Odd.

Anyway, the body is due back from CPS this week after the mirror box fix, a clean and check. My fingers are crossed.

Sep 22, 2014 at 01:30 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · New to 1D Mark III - Use SD Card, Other Advice?

The 1D III CF write speed was bad, as it does not support UDMA writes. I also found it much better to use SD card. With CF card when you took a long burst you would wait ages for it to finish writing to CF card.

Spare battery is not needed unless you plan do do insane number of shots per day IMO.

Sep 22, 2014 at 01:50 AM
BobMarkey
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · New to 1D Mark III - Use SD Card, Other Advice?

So, the SD card reader is faster in the MK III than the CF reader? In the MKIIn, it's the other way around.

Sep 22, 2014 at 02:03 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · New to 1D Mark III - Use SD Card, Other Advice?

BobMarkey wrote:
ISO 3200 is O.K. but not as nice as I had hoped it would be. I doubt I would like 6400.

Yep, I try and keep it at 1600iso at all costs - 1600iso cleans up well.

Sep 22, 2014 at 02:39 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · New to 1D Mark III - Use SD Card, Other Advice?

BobMarkey wrote:
One issue I need to figure out is related to having images recorded on both the CF and SD cards. I have the images starting with a BOB on the CF card but the same images on the SD card start with _OB. Odd.

You can set the camera to record RAW to one slot, and JPG to the other. One of the previous owners used a different naming system. I guess his name was Bob.

You can change it. Consult the manual for specifics. Page 77. http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0900008232/01/EOS-1DMarkIII_HG_EN.pdf

See also

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/windows_vista/cameras/eos_slr_camera_systems/eos_1d_mark_iii?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e0248004cd1a

Sep 22, 2014 at 03:14 AM
godfather
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · New to 1D Mark III - Use SD Card, Other Advice?

BobMarkey wrote:
There is so little 1D series talk on here (especially about the 1DIII), but obviously there is interest

You might need to click on the date range setting when searching...should be a few threads from 3-4 years ago.

Sep 22, 2014 at 03:36 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.