New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Senior Series - Shana

RobWNY
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Senior Series - Shana

Back in June I spent a late afternoon/early eve with Shana. Although she's just entering her senior year she's far more mature that many people I know in their late 20's. She loves riding horses, and is a instructor at a local stable as well. She in fact is my own 9 year old daughter's riding instructor. Couldn't be more please with her as a role model.

We spent most of the shoot at the stables, and then moved to an adjoining park to finish up. The lighting was changing fairly rapidly especially toward the tail end of the shoot, so many shots vary in look. I also used speedlites to varying degrees for a number of the shots ranging from main light to subtle fill.

She and her family were very happy with the results, but I know I have a tougher and more discriminating crowd here. I always hope to learn from each new shoot, so I welcome CC if you care to offer it. I'm sure much of the feedback and nits I'll receive I've probably already called myself out on. Let see... TY

Oh, a few of these I posted on there own back in June when I first started processing, so they may be repeats to a few of you.

1 - One of the stable's tack rooms- In hind sight I could have shed a little more light on the far background.

2 - An almost silhouette shot, but wanted a hint of her face barely visible. A personal taste thing perhaps.

3 - With her favorite ride...

8 - I had her ride in loops in this area until enough dust was kicked up to play with the sun filtering through the trees.

9 - At the nearby park now... Was doing walk away shots w/over the shoulder looks, but like this semi-candid better.

12 - With her good friend and fellow "Barn Girl"... Another sweet young lady. I have a few images of her I may post later.

13 = An outtake of them being silly while I took test shots. I had a CTO that was a too much on this shot. Again was a test shot, but I like the playfulness, and so did she... this was one she printed.

14 - It was seriously getting dark by this point, so this is strobe lighted with a umbrella if I recall correctly.

15 - One more with both girls...

16 - As I was packing up we fit in one last very of the cuff shot. Not great in my eyes, but she liked it. A bit different processing too.

Aug 07, 2014 at 03:45 PM
RobWNY
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Senior Series - Shana

650+ views w/o a single viewer providing feedback. I'm not sure if I'm posting too many images, or that they're not worth commenting on in the eyes of the viewer... I can certainly take constructive criticism. A bit puzzled.

Aug 09, 2014 at 09:58 PM
wetli

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Senior Series - Shana

Rob,

I looked at your set this morning and see a number a great thoughts behind your shots.

I have a few constructive comments on my favorite shots from this series that I hope will help you.

1) I like the lighting -- I would not pop up the background since your lighting keeps the focus on Shana. I would make two changes in this situation a) I would go with a wider angle lens. This would allow you to get more of the environment (looks like you are trying to take an environmental portrait). It also can have the effect of changing her proportions like reducing the relative size of her hips if shot from the right distance and angle. b) I would have Shana turn her head more toward the camera instead of just her eyes. It would look a little more natural.

2) Looks like you have added some of camera flash to some of your other shots. If you could throw some light on just the faces of Shana and the horse that would really lock your focus on them and highlight the special bond she has with the horse.

4) Great shot straight-on portrait. In addition to adjust the tilt of her head and having her face turned more toward the lens, I would adjust the framing just a little. You cut Shana off right at her hips. The general rule I have seen (that seems to work best for me) if it bends, don't end the frame there. It is a small detail but it makes a difference in how people react to your photos.

8) My favorite from the set. I just love the effect of the light filtering through the trees. Great job of seeing this in the moment. I love the rim light on Shana and your overall composition. The only suggestion I have is to amplify the effect of the sun's rays by upping the black level or the contrast in post processing. That would make an already great picture stunning.

Keep clicking!

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:02 AM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Senior Series - Shana

I agree with wetli above. I like the lighting on most of these. 1, 5, 6 & 8 are my favorites.
A very nice set.
Greg

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:03 AM
mhayes5254
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Senior Series - Shana

4, 6, 8, 11 for me.

Edited on Aug 10, 2014 at 04:42 PM · View previous versions

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Senior Series - Shana

8 & 13 for me!

Aug 10, 2014 at 01:02 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Senior Series - Shana

Hi Rob, Just some quick, down and dirty comments !

1. Looks like she's wearing a hat I'm afraid.
2. Needs more lighting on her face - like the idea !
3. Nope doesn't work for me.
4 & 5. Lovely portraits !
6. One of my favourites - lovely !
7. Like the shot but not the too dark shadow on one side of her face.
8. Nice idea - like it.
9. Love the location and light but not the pose
10. Nice lighting but I think the better shots are when you have shot at face level or slightly down. Here she is looking down on you and I'm not feeling it.
11. The tree occupies more than 50% of the frame and she looks confined
12. The top of the tree is dominating - I'd take off about 1/3 of this frame, unfortunately that then leaves the sun in the wrong position.
13. I love this ! Only problem is the bough at the top of the tree again. Cropping below it helps a little but still .....
14. I see how you've tried to frame it but that big shadow across the frame doesn't quite work for me - which is a pity because I love her sitting in the flowers.
15. Same applies as in 14. so I'd crop this much closer focusing on the two girls and excluding the tree entirely.
16. I actually really like this - I'd just push the shadows a little more.

Some lovely shots and a lot to work with, but (IMHO) better cropping and some work in PP to be done

Aug 11, 2014 at 05:12 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Senior Series - Shana

good variety in the senior set

Aug 11, 2014 at 06:09 PM
RobWNY
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Senior Series - Shana

Thank you for the feedback and for those that offered constructive criticism. It really helps.

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:05 PM
Crimsonfrogg

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Senior Series - Shana

6 is the best!

Aug 14, 2014 at 07:38 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.