Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Scammed by eBay's Money Back Guarentee?

TMaG82
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Scammed by eBay's Money Back Guarentee?

Long story short, I bought a lens on eBay. Going against better judgement of buying exclusively here on the B&S, I bought one there. It was described to be in great condition. When I received the lens, it wasn't as described. It had scratches on the body, had a focus ring that was sticky. I contacted the seller and we went back and forth and couldn't come to a resolution. I opened a case with eBay, waited the 3 days, then got an email this morning stating that I would be covered under the Money Back Guarentee and was provided a prepaid shipping label to return the lens to the buyer. It stated that once they confirmed receipt of the lens, then they would refund me the purchase price and shipping. I thought that was all done.

Just a few minutes ago I get another email from eBay stating that my case has been resolved and they are siding with the seller in this case and that I would not be getting a refund. I'm confused by this because the first email gave me instructions to send the lens back, which I dropped off at UPS this morning. So from what it sounds like I'm not getting a refund AND the seller is getting back the lens? What recourse do I have with this?

Aug 07, 2014 at 12:25 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Scammed by eBay's Money Back Guarentee?

any chance you can get your credit card company to reverse the transaction fees?

Aug 07, 2014 at 04:56 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Scammed by eBay's Money Back Guarentee?

anthonysemone wrote:
any chance you can get your credit card company to reverse the transaction fees?

Yeah I filed a claim today. Kind of shady that they send me an email with a label to return stating that they would refund me, then a short while after I drop the package off, had the label scanned by UPS as picked up to track in their system do I get another email stating that the case is now closed and they're siding with the buyer. So it's not like I can even sell the lens for less than I paid. Also reading up in other peoples experiences the seller has to confirm that the item was received and in the condition it was sent out. Kind of makes me curious if a buyer-seller goes through a bitter dispute, don't get a resolution, the seller if they were not honorable could claim that the item was received back damaged negating any refund.

Aug 07, 2014 at 06:19 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Scammed by eBay's Money Back Guarentee?

Good luck with this.

Aug 07, 2014 at 09:43 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Scammed by eBay's Money Back Guarentee?

If it is possible, you may want to contact eBay again. I know that a lot of this dispute stuff goes through some kind of automated system and it is hard to talk with anyone. But your experience does not square with one that I had - something sounds fishy. I purchased a lens several months ago from someone who appeared to be reputable. The lens was supposed to be in perfect condition. When it arrived, it looked like grease was smeared all inside the lens. The seller sold it with no return, but when I went through eBay with a dispute on the condition of the item, the seller said that she would take it back and upon receipt, would refund my money. Here is where things diverge from your experience. There was no prepaid shipping label and I had to spend my own money to send the lens back - and it had to be insured and with a tracking number (I would have done this anyway). Once it arrived, she did refund my money, but I was out the cost of shipping it back. It seems very strange to me that, first, they sent you a shipping label (you might want to check on who actually sent the label), and two, that eBay has sided with the seller and is intimating that you will not receive a refund. Keep track of the shipment and when it arrives. Contact eBay again. Their emails can be nerve-wracking because everything seems so uncertain. If they side with the seller, try to have eBay review the case again. Usually, eBay is more concerned about pleasing the buyer (and some sellers get ripped off because of this).

Good luck. This kind of thing is incredibly frustrating.

Aug 08, 2014 at 05:10 PM
ronfronberg
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Scammed by eBay's Money Back Guarentee?

The item that I returned to the eBay seller, I got a prepaid label. This was probably because the seller had in the listing that he/she would pay for return shipping.

I would call eBay to resolve this. There is a link to contact eBay, Contact us. The link should be at the bottom of the page. This is how I have called eBay in the past.

ron

Aug 08, 2014 at 10:09 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Scammed by eBay's Money Back Guarentee?

I have heard that it gets very complicated because the seller has to confirm that they received the item back in the condition that it was sold in. So in essence you're putting a lot of faith in someone who you might be in a bitter dispute with to do you a favor. There's a tracking number to confirm receipt so they won't be able to claim they didn't receive it but nothing's stopping them from claiming that it was damaged or tampered with.

It just seems odd that it seemed like a short while after I dropped off the package and had it scanned and the shipment status uploaded into their system they had a chance of heart and decided against me. There is a section to appeal the decision but it does suggest to wait until the package has been delivered which I will wait for, then appeal. Otherwise I do have a claim open under my credit card.

Aug 09, 2014 at 05:18 AM
Herb
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Scammed by eBay's Money Back Guarentee?

Good luck! I recently went through a situation with EBay that I spent several hours on the phone over a $50 purchase I made. In the future I will just be far more careful...I believe that they count on the frustration winning for them.......in the end I was the one that was screwed. Live and learn!

Aug 11, 2014 at 05:36 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Scammed by eBay's Money Back Guarentee?

Would any of you have the phone number available? Maybe I'm just not finding it but everytime I go to contact us, it sends me in an endless loop of trying to send messages/emails, etc with no phone number to contact.

Aug 12, 2014 at 02:41 PM
ronfronberg
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Scammed by eBay's Money Back Guarentee?

TMAG82,

I sent a PM with an eBay phone number.

Please let me know if it worked.

ron

Aug 12, 2014 at 03:38 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Scammed by eBay's Money Back Guarentee?

The way it works with contacting ebay customer service: you call listed number, describe your case, then you are given a different phone number with access code, which is valid for a limited time, and for one call only.
I had much better luck resolving issues through Paypal, but it sounds like you paid with credit card.
Regarding return of the item - it is recommended taking a picture prior to shipping (to document the condition/appropriate packaging) and requesting the same from the seller upon reception.

Aug 12, 2014 at 06:28 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Scammed by eBay's Money Back Guarentee?

Good news. Even though the case was closed, they did give me an option to appeal. I stated my case using the full 2,000 character limit stating that they were the ones to tell me to ship it back, then closing the case. It took a few days but they finally relented after I stated that I would file a claim with my credit card and/or pursue legal action. They decided to give me a courtesy refund and I have the purchase price plus shipping refunded. They stated that they closed my case in error but I'm sure if I had just rolled over they wouldn't have done anything about it.

Aug 19, 2014 at 06:06 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.