New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Drone crashed into Grand Prismatic Spring

ryanpfleger
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Drone crashed into Grand Prismatic Spring

I am sure like a lot of you, I have been salivating at the possibilities that drones give for cheap high quality aerial photography. But there are definitely still a lot of practical and ethical considerations. Now this is not the first piece of detritus to find its way into a Yellowstone spring, nor will it be the last. Still, there are plenty of reasons to be concerned about drone usage, whether in National Parks, or elsewhere. Personally, I think they need to iron out some regulation on these things, but I'm not sure an outright ban is the best answer. In other loosely related news, they're talking about banning running in the Grand Canyon, as there have incidence in which Rim to Rim to Rim ultra runners have run into trouble on the trail. Surely there are ways to work around these things besides bans?

http://petapixel.com/2014/08/06/tourist-crashes-drone-into-yellowstone-hot-spring-or-this-is-why-we-cant-have-nice-things/

Aug 06, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Drone crashed into Grand Prismatic Spring

I bet he was starving for some positive feedback on flickr and couldn't help himself out of desperation for some garish HDR shots.

Aug 07, 2014 at 01:19 AM
Savas K
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Drone crashed into Grand Prismatic Spring

Of course, the photographer stepped forward and admitted it was his drone, right?

Aug 07, 2014 at 05:04 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Drone crashed into Grand Prismatic Spring

3 incidents here inWestern Maryland where drones were flying over public swimming places and dressing rooms. 2 were shot down by "locals" and the other downed by a beach umbrella!
Word is that they are replacing the clay disks at skeet shoots with captured photo drones!(this is a joke, the above is not)

The "Big Brother" mentality is alive and well here in the hills and hollars after all the privacy incursions of late.

Edited on Aug 07, 2014 at 02:38 PM · View previous versions

Aug 07, 2014 at 08:38 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Drone crashed into Grand Prismatic Spring

but I'm not sure an outright ban is the best answer.

An outright ban is absolutely the best answer. And as more of the incidents described in the link occur, movement towards an outright ban is inevitable.

John

Aug 07, 2014 at 11:32 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.