Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Little League Allstar Game

jonnyt5050
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Little League Allstar Game

Just a few photos from a recent USSSA all star game in the Kansas City area. These were the first real pics taken with a newly acquired Nikon D4. Stepping up from 6 FPS with Nikon D610 to 10 FPS was a great experience. I used a 200mm F2 with 1.4 teleconverter on a monopod for most of my photos.

My son was playing in the game (although not pictured here) so I was the self appointed event photographer. I managed to get plunked (more grazed than anything) taking pictures behind the catcher during warm ups. Needless to say, I was just glad the camera wasn't hurt.

C&Cs always welcome. Thanks for looking!

MoKan Allstar Game by Jaybird5050, on Flickr

Edited on Aug 06, 2014 at 10:30 PM · View previous versions

Aug 06, 2014 at 10:17 PM
jonnyt5050
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Little League Allstar Game

5 more.

7.MoKan Allstar Game by Jaybird5050, on Flickr

9. (Umpire ruining a perfectly good photo. I have plenty of these).

Aug 06, 2014 at 10:19 PM
jcnemy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Little League Allstar Game

Liking the first two and unfortunate about the ump photobombing you on #9.

Anyways - wow!!!! Nice upgrade indeed. I'm guessing you experienced other improvements going from a D610 to the D4 other than FPS Congrats on the new body and I'm sure that 200/2 and other gear worked nicely with the new addition.

Thanks for sharing

JC

Aug 06, 2014 at 10:31 PM
jonnyt5050
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Little League Allstar Game

Thanks jc.

Biggest difference between D610 and D4 was definitely the frames per second. Autofocus seemed to be a bit more snappy and accurate. Downside is that I have fewer megapixels for cropping. But on balance, the D4 is without question the best Nikon camera for this particular line of photography.

Aug 06, 2014 at 10:44 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Little League Allstar Game

Excellent!

Aug 07, 2014 at 06:26 AM
jonnyt5050
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Little League Allstar Game

Whoa. I just received an "Excellent!" comment (with the exclamation mark) from the extremely talented Paul Alesse.

I guess I should hang it up now. Nowhere to go but downhill from here.

But seriously, thank you, Paul. I've learned a great deal from your posts, reading your C&Cs, and obviously, your photo work is stellar.

Aug 07, 2014 at 10:56 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Little League Allstar Game

A great set here. Thanks for sharing. And congrats on the D4. I use 2 of them and I love them. I've never had a need for more MP, of course I mostly do journalism and the smaller file size is welcome for deadline.

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:08 AM
Frank Lauri
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Little League Allstar Game

Jonny....these are GREAT. I love the faces you got on these pitchers. And I really like #5....you caught that just at the right time. One recommendation is to be mindful of your horizons to keep them straight.

Look forward to your next set. Nice work.

Frank

Aug 08, 2014 at 07:49 AM
jonnyt5050
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Little League Allstar Game

Thanks Frank!

Good call on the horizons. It's funny how much time I can spend straightening out horizons on photos and then totally miss some shots.

Regarding shot #5. I had the shot right before this with the swing and the ball in frame. But it just didn't seem to have the same punch as this photo. The kid absolutely crushed this ball the other way and I liked his reaction at looking at the ball.

Aug 08, 2014 at 11:17 AM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Little League Allstar Game

#'s 2, 4, 5, 8 & 10 for me. Very nice. One thing though, not sure if it's the tele-converter causing some of the images to be soft and flat looking but you might want to add a little POP in your post processing if so. Just look at the difference between image 2 (which is freaking STELLAR by the way) versus images 3, 4, 6 & 7 and you'll see what I mean.
Thanks for sharing! Looks like you have a winner of a new camera on your hands. have fun with it!
Billy-

Aug 08, 2014 at 04:28 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Little League Allstar Game

Nice photos. #2 & #8 are my favorites of the bunch.

Jeff

Aug 10, 2014 at 07:54 AM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Little League Allstar Game

Great looking images. #2 is gorgeous.

Aug 10, 2014 at 05:32 PM
jonnyt5050
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Little League Allstar Game

Thanks Jeff and Tom.

Billy: I took a look at processing between #2 (the pic with great color) and the others which are more flat. It seems that they were processed nearly identically. I think the difference would probably be the changing light conditions whereas it was a bit sunnier for pic #2 and was much more overcast on the other photos.

So perhaps I should add a bit of vibrance and color to those which seem flat to compensate for the flat colors due to overcast skies?

Thank you for your comment though! Very much appreciated.

Aug 10, 2014 at 07:43 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.