New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · D4 vs d3s

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D4 vs d3s

Hey all. I'm a canon shooter and am considering going Nikon. I have many friends who have the d4 and d3s (and a few who have had both). I'm really trying to do as much homework as possible and will be on a budget (money tree is dry).

Seems I can get a used D4 for 3800-4200 and a d3s for 2600-3000. I'm well aware of the basic specs between the two cameras.

I shoot weddings and currently have a 5d3.

My simple question to you is the D4 worth $1200 to $1500 more than the D3s?

Thanks for your input!

Aug 06, 2014 at 08:54 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D4 vs d3s

If you are familiar with all the specs, then you know what it is you would be gaining, or not.

Take those items that would apply to you and your style. See if you can justify that extra costs. Although I DO have access to a D4 24/7. I never take advantage of it. I have no need for what I do here.

Until a MAJOR update come along to add extra memory types into my workflow, I'll not be upgrading from the D3s. To me it wasn't just about the body itself. It had a lot to do with adding XQD cards at a pretty heft cost to my kit.

The 100 gigs of CF cards here are fluid and move between all bodies here.

Good Luck

Aug 06, 2014 at 09:01 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D4 vs d3s

Given that you'll also be buying glass and on a budget, I can't see how the D4 makes sense. The D3s is amazing.

Seems like a brand-new D810 should be on your radar as well...

Aug 06, 2014 at 09:21 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D4 vs d3s

If you have the extra money then it's worth it especially when you put a lot of clicks on the shutter shooting weddings. You also get higher resolution, and a little better ISO performance which is worth it since you're used to a higher res body already. If you're making a profit shooting weddings you'll pay for the extra in no time.

Aug 06, 2014 at 09:24 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D4 vs d3s

Why aren't you considering a 1dx? Better than the D4 at high ISOs (and equal to the D4s), Canon (so you don't have to swap lenses), does a bit better for noise handling than the 5d3...

What is it about the 5d3 that you're not satisfied with? Everyone except me loves that camera and it's "incredible" autofocus system.

Aug 06, 2014 at 09:54 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D4 vs d3s

That makes sense but a 1DX would be another $1,000 or more. It probably depends how many Canon lenses the OP has. Another reason for a Nikon would be the superior flash technology if you're a wedding shooter. Assuming you use Speedlight's.

Aug 06, 2014 at 10:01 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D4 vs d3s

There are plenty of used 1dx models selling for just around $5k in very good condition. That's cheaper than the D4s (Nikon equivalent to 1dx) is typically selling for used...

Aug 06, 2014 at 10:13 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D4 vs d3s

But he is on a budget and can't afford a D4S or 1DX or yes that would be the no brainer answer.

Aug 06, 2014 at 10:22 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D4 vs d3s

Budget that cannot afford 1dx used doesn't seem like it could afford swapping brands either...

Aug 06, 2014 at 10:32 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D4 vs d3s

I'd really like to just stay on topic.

Is the D4 worth 1200-1500 more than the D3s?

Aug 06, 2014 at 10:45 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D4 vs d3s

To me yes. You get higher resolution, a longer life shutter, lower base ISO, and better high ISO performance. As a prefessional and in the digital world that's worth a grand to me.

Aug 06, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D4 vs d3s

I don't know if the 5d3 has illuminated buttons, but I love it on the D4, especially if you shoot dark receptions or night weddings. Compared to the D3s, 4 extra MP on the D4 is not huge, but noticeable. DR is better. Ergonomics is improved too. My answer would be yes, it's worth it (for me).

Aug 06, 2014 at 10:54 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D4 vs d3s

If D4 focus is anything like D800 focus, expect it to track very well in AF-C/Servo (especially 3D mode) but make excessive/jittery adjustments on nonmoving subjects (D810 did not jitter so much on static subjects, so this was one change in the latest models). AF-S really depends on the lens for accuracy. My 60 f/2.8g was lightning fast on the D800 and very accurate, while the 35 f/1.4g was slower and less accurate to lock (though f/2.8 vs f/1.4).

Also expect to enjoy AutoISO a lot. It's very functional and flexible on Nikon.

And expect the focus points to actually light up and tell you where they are in Servo/AF-C.

IMO, Nikon's easier and simpler to shoot with (mostly because of the very good AutoISO).

Aug 06, 2014 at 11:11 PM
mongoose777
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D4 vs d3s

My take:
I have (2) D3s bodies that were a big enough jump over the D3 body, mainly the buffer size was better and the 1 stop + helped enough to justify the price difference.
The jump to the D4 over the D3s is not enough for me to justify.
The D4 is really not much better in AF and there have been some issues with some D4 bodies regarding the lens release button getting stuck, not allowing the lens to be removed.
Cant use same batteries and xqd card is too expensive.
I personally prefer dual CF cards.
The D4 gives you an extra 4mp that will come in handy if you have to heavily crop an image from across the field as well as the 2 fps and a stop better.
The surprise is the D3s has a much better battery life 4000k vs 2500k.
However, I bought the D4s and THATS a big enough jump over my D3s as its like comparing a semi to a fully auto, with a much improved accuracy.
This camera body is a beast.
IMO and many other reports out there agree that It is better than the 1Dx overall.
There is something about the "S" version of Nikon that appears to be a much improved version in which they appeared to learn from mistakes made of the equivalent reg models.
I say get the D3s and a great lens like the 70-200 vr2 and/or a 24-70 and your ready to kick ass.

Aug 07, 2014 at 12:35 AM
Christian S
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D4 vs d3s

Agree ^ the D3s beats the D4 and D4s in high ISO. The DF beats the D3s.

Aug 07, 2014 at 12:39 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D4 vs d3s

I love shooting with my D4 bodies. Definitely the first DSLRs I've really felt a connection with. Snappy autofocus and shoot at iso6400 without hesitation. My perfect wedding camera. I tried the d3s and the d800 and the d4 was the right choice for me. Worth the price difference.

Aug 07, 2014 at 12:45 AM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D4 vs d3s

Christian S wrote:
Agree ^ the D3s beats the D4 and D4s in high ISO. The DF beats the D3s.

So, the DF beats the D4s too?

Aug 07, 2014 at 12:48 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D4 vs d3s

Ron: How's your D810? Want to sell it?

Df beats D4s slightly in high ISO noise, a little better overall. AFAIK D4s beats D3s, keeping the colors truer and more neutral with less tinting at higher ISOs.

There's no question, the best overall wedding cameras are usually the most expensive dSLRs from either brand. Others like the D800/810 have a niche and can definitely be useful - my ideal Nikon setup would be two D4s bodies for general use and a D810/etc. for formals/portraits.

Aug 07, 2014 at 12:48 AM
HibikiRush

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D4 vs d3s

Gregg Heckler wrote:
That makes sense but a 1DX would be another $1,000 or more. It probably depends how many Canon lenses the OP has. Another reason for a Nikon would be the superior flash technology if you're a wedding shooter. Assuming you use Speedlight's.

I've heard others say Nikon flash system is better, is there a particular reason why? Is it mostly the iTTL performance? I thought Canon has an interesting advantage with their built in radio 600 flash. On the other hand I occasionally hear of backfocus issues when using the AF-assist light on Nikon.

Aug 07, 2014 at 12:52 AM
HibikiRush

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D4 vs d3s

One thing that I personally like in the D4 vs D800 which doesn't have the feature is the focus point orientation recall, which D3s doesn't have. In a shooting environment such as a wedding it can sometimes save you from missing a shot when switching orientation and have your focus point to where it usually is at.

Aug 07, 2014 at 12:54 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.