Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · state hospital hdrs for c&c (abandoned)

ATurturro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · state hospital hdrs for c&c (abandoned)

hi all,

a few days ago i posted some photos here- and keeping everyones comments in mind i went back and shot some more, trying to get some more varied compositions.

all comments and critiques are welcome and greatly appreciated.

if you want to see more, the full set is on flickr.

thanks,
ana

Aug 06, 2014 at 09:23 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · state hospital hdrs for c&c (abandoned)

I really like the HDR here!! The stair shot could be a tad wider(IMHO) to show the crescent window in full.
Man this place is a paradise for you!!
Take advantage of it best you can!
Dan

Aug 06, 2014 at 09:43 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · state hospital hdrs for c&c (abandoned)

Great to see more variety! Much more interesting.

There are a few in your flickr set that I like even more...shelves, long rows of columns, ivy on the patio, etc.

Thanks for sharing.

Aug 06, 2014 at 11:03 AM
ATurturro
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · state hospital hdrs for c&c (abandoned)

Danpbphoto wrote:
I really like the HDR here!! The stair shot could be a tad wider(IMHO) to show the crescent window in full.
Man this place is a paradise for you!!
Take advantage of it best you can!
Dan

thanks so much for the comments. im saving up to buy a 17-40. even with my tripod all the way against the wall my 24-70 isnt wide enough.

Aug 06, 2014 at 03:55 PM
ATurturro
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · state hospital hdrs for c&c (abandoned)

Fast6 wrote:
Great to see more variety! Much more interesting.

There are a few in your flickr set that I like even more...shelves, long rows of columns, ivy on the patio, etc.

Thanks for sharing.

thanks for the response. i had a tough time picking out what to post here. thanks for checking out my flickr!

Aug 06, 2014 at 03:56 PM
stringfolk

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · state hospital hdrs for c&c (abandoned)

I think the indoor/outdoor combo shots could benefit from a bit of re-balancing. In #3 (my favorite of the set) for example, the bright green trees through the window at the end of the hall is pretty jarring. I understand the appeal of the juxtaposition, but the small portion of the frame that is occupied by the window throws it off balance. Some options to deal with this:

1) Shoot with a longer focal length and stand a bit further back in the hall to compress the perspective. The window at the end of the hall will appear larger relative to the foreground elements.

2) Blow out the highlights on the window. I feel like this changes the message significantly (and kind of defeats the purpose of the HDR), but it's a possibility.

3) Convert to B&W. Personally, I prefer black and white when color adds little to, or even detracts from the message. In this case, the message I see is better in black and white.

I'm pretty new at all this, so take it all with a big grain of salt! This critique is probably more helpful for me than for you!

Aug 07, 2014 at 12:25 AM
Ritalin

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · state hospital hdrs for c&c (abandoned)

Nicely done Ana! Much better as far as perspective. #1 and #3 are great, I would just check out what it would look if you fixed your verticals. Some times it helps and some times it's better to have them slightly curved.

Be careful with #2. The inside of the room is HDR while the outside seems 'normal'. My eye drew right to the window and I ignored the inside. I mean I don't know what 'feel' your going for in the pictures, but with an abandoned building I think 'dark and gloomy' and then outside it's 'bright and cheery'.

Aug 07, 2014 at 07:44 AM
ATurturro
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · state hospital hdrs for c&c (abandoned)

stringfolk wrote:
I think the indoor/outdoor combo shots could benefit from a bit of re-balancing. In #3 (my favorite of the set) for example, the bright green trees through the window at the end of the hall is pretty jarring. I understand the appeal of the juxtaposition, but the small portion of the frame that is occupied by the window throws it off balance. Some options to deal with this:

1) Shoot with a longer focal length and stand a bit further back in the hall to compress the perspective. The window at the end of the hall will appear larger relative to
...Show more

thanks for the response. i'll keep in mind your suggestions for shoots in the future.

Aug 08, 2014 at 01:35 PM
ATurturro
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · state hospital hdrs for c&c (abandoned)

Ritalin wrote:
Nicely done Ana! Much better as far as perspective. #1 and #3 are great, I would just check out what it would look if you fixed your verticals. Some times it helps and some times it's better to have them slightly curved.

Be careful with #2. The inside of the room is HDR while the outside seems 'normal'. My eye drew right to the window and I ignored the inside. I mean I don't know what 'feel' your going for in the pictures, but with an abandoned building I think 'dark and gloomy' and then outside it's 'bright and cheery'.

thanks so much for the response. i'll look into doing some perspective correction.

with #2, i was thinking that maybe i could convey some sort of message about inside the building being lonely and abandoned- but that outside life is still going on like normal... im not sure if it was clear enough though...

thanks again.

Aug 08, 2014 at 01:39 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.