Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Need to publish a photo book in large quantities.. suggestions?

OO7MIKE
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need to publish a photo book in large quantities.. suggestions?

Hello!

I need to publish a photo book in large quantities. By large I mean 200 - 500 copies. Strangely the only publishers that are producing quality photo books I see in a book stores are wedding album publishers. Wedding album books can be super expensive and there is no way I could afford order 200 or more of those much less that anyone would want to buy them. I have no delusions of being Annie Leibovitz.

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/photography/all/02615/facts.annie_leibovitz.htm

Going the expensive wedding album route just doesn't seem like a good option, so I wanted to ask everyone here if anyone knows how I can get the beautiful photo book look and feel I see in all of these books I see at book stores?
You know the ones you pay $15-$60 for?
Can anyone recommend a publisher or an album maker that sells paperback photo books that don't look like the crappy/ blurry / washed out "my publisher" books?
The image quality is very important but price has to be right and I'm all about volume discounts. I realize this is a delicate balance but surely it must be possible.

Bottom line:
Excellent almost print quality (not the large dotted print press books)
Paper back is preferred.
Need to do 8x8 and 12x12 sizes
Must be affordable so i can sell them at $20-$40 each
Must be able to make large quantities

My searches have been exhausting, I'm hoping someone has some recommendations to share. Thanks!

Aug 06, 2014 at 02:23 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need to publish a photo book in large quantities.. suggestions?

http://www.pdnonline.com/features/9-Small-Book-Publish-8755.shtml

No personal rec's, but is there anyone in that lot?

Someone else is mentioned in this podcast - from 32:00 onwards... Ah, yes, at 36:11 he mentions http://www.triplekite.co.uk/ - high end, I think. Might be worth a look.

Aug 06, 2014 at 04:05 AM
Deezie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need to publish a photo book in large quantities.. suggestions?

Lightning Source is the primary printer for almost all books that get published. Almost every major book publisher has an account with them, and so do the book stores. They offer print on demand to everyone from Amazon and iBooks (self-publishing) to online and brick and mortar book stores. Don't go to them if you're in a rush. Once your print file is ready it takes about a week to get into the queue. They're a little more expensive than your average printer, but you get what you pay for.

Just contact them. They'll have you fill out a form and then assign you a rep who will handle your printing.

Aug 12, 2014 at 07:19 PM
techie2

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need to publish a photo book in large quantities.. suggestions?

PM sent.....might be able to help you out

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:52 AM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need to publish a photo book in large quantities.. suggestions?

Blurb.com

Nov 30, 2014 at 03:55 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need to publish a photo book in large quantities.. suggestions?

Blurb books are not affordable to sell at $20-60.

Dec 08, 2014 at 01:57 AM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need to publish a photo book in large quantities.. suggestions?

Blurb base prices:
7x7 photo book soft cover 60pgs 300 qty $17ea (301+ contact them)
12x12 doesn't come in "photo book" (according to their "bookulator")

Just contact Blurb to get options. They seem to be roughly what OO7MIKE is looking for.

Dec 08, 2014 at 03:12 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need to publish a photo book in large quantities.. suggestions?

Except he said he wanted larger than 7x7 and he wanted top quality.

So that takes him to $30 if he want the best paper used, and that is still for only 20 pages. He could want 40-50 pages in a book and I could not find out the extra cost per page. Then there are shipping charges. Plus another $3 per book if he wants end sheets. Minus 20% if he orders 300 books.

So at his cost of probably closer to $40-$50, it will be pretty hard to sell them at $20-$40 per book and make a profit.

The only option I see for getting books printed at the cost he wants is to have a few thousand copies printed by a big commercial printer.

Dec 08, 2014 at 11:57 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need to publish a photo book in large quantities.. suggestions?

Didn't mention anything about "profit" on only about sales price points.

True that a 7x7 isn't an 8x8...they do have a custom book design service which I am totally sure will put the price per book beyond his needs.

So, a few options left are:
Don't make/sell the book.
Pick a lower quality to match you sales need.
Pick a different size.
Pick a different sales price.

Dec 09, 2014 at 05:39 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need to publish a photo book in large quantities.. suggestions?

And extra pages are 40 cents each, so if he wants to take his 20 pages to 50 pages, add another $12 per book.

Dec 09, 2014 at 12:25 PM
alondon
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need to publish a photo book in large quantities.. suggestions?

A friend of mine just published a book I want to say 500 copies or more and he found the best quality and most cost effective was Jostens - they are the people who do school yearbooks. I saw one of the copies and they did a great job. real quality item. I was very very impressed.

Al

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:07 PM
pchaplo
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need to publish a photo book in large quantities.. suggestions?

I chose a university press. You have to do a prospectus, and pass muster with reviews, etc. but if accepted you get expert editorial and design team to ensure quality. They print your book (at no cost to you) and handle the marketing and distribution. Not sure if that fits your vision; it does mine. My 11 x 11" art book sells for $29.95 and that includes their margin.

Many university presses are now sending their printing to China.

Dec 20, 2014 at 02:45 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.