New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · LR Question

IndyFab
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR Question

I am presently using LR 5.6, my question is, I have just about run out of HD space on internal HD. I have 3 external mirrowed copies of my images.

I would like to begin using one of my 3 mirrowed external HD as my working HD, as it has lots of storage. and then mirrow to the other two for backup.

From what I read and understand, all I have to do is right click on my entire photo library (parent folder) and.click on Update Folder location.

Is this correct?

Also at any time can I repeat this if I want to return to my internal HD to access pictures there.

Thanks for your time.

Aug 05, 2014 at 10:25 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR Question

I believe you are correct.

Aug 06, 2014 at 08:40 AM
Hillrg`
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR Question

I believe you are correct also. Backup your library first so you can revert if things do not go well.

Aug 06, 2014 at 09:05 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR Question

Alternatively, assuming that the mirror really is an exact mirror of your data, you could just mount that drive to the same drive letter / mount point as the old one and it will work without any fuss at all.

Aug 06, 2014 at 10:00 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · LR Question

Hillrg` wrote:
I believe you are correct also. Backup your library first so you can revert if things do not go well.

^^My present Library is mirrored on three external drives as backups.

Thanks to all who replied.

Not sure if my other question was answered, once I begin using my external HD as my working photo library, can I at anytime revert back to internal HD for images if I choose to do so, assuming I didn't remove them ?

Aug 06, 2014 at 11:04 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · LR Question

15Bit wrote:
Alternatively, assuming that the mirror really is an exact mirror of your data, you could just mount that drive to the same drive letter / mount point as the old one and it will work without any fuss at all.

Can I mount an external HD (in hard plastic cover) to an internal HD slot ?.. Two different kinds of HD's..

Aug 06, 2014 at 11:13 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · LR Question

IndyFab wrote:
Can I mount an external HD (in hard plastic cover) to an internal HD slot ?.. Two different kinds of HD's..

You should be able to - What operating system are you using?

Aug 06, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · LR Question

IndyFab wrote:

Are you talking about a 3.5" Sata drive? More than likely. 2.5" or 3.5" they are both the same when installing internally - both requiring a sata power and a sata data cable. Yes, you can crack open the case and remove the drive and easily install in it your desktop without issue - find a bay, a sata power connector, and a sata cable to connect it to a spare header.

Aug 07, 2014 at 01:12 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · LR Question

IndyFab wrote:
Not sure if my other question was answered, once I begin using my external HD as my working photo library, can I at anytime revert back to internal HD for images if I choose to do so, assuming I didn't remove them ?

Absolutely maybe.

You can definitely do it but.... Chances are that by the time you want to revert back to the internal drive you will have added new images to the external drive that are not on the internal drive. If they are on it then you probably aren't really running out of drive space and don't need to use the external drive at all.

Also, if you have allowed Lr to use .xmp sidecar files whenever you make changes (not an approach that I recommend if speed matters to you) then the files on your internal drive will be out of date because Lr only updates sidecar files where it thinks the image files live. If you edit jpg and dng files then Lr will probably update them with the .xmp file data anyway even without creating new sidecar files.

If you are truly low on space then a better option may be to upgrade the internal drive to a bigger one so that you can get the best speed from it. Most external options are slower than most internal options.

Another alternative is to split your library so that what you edit or view most often is on the internal drive and what you rarely use is moved to the external storage. Then you will have more space and better performance from the internal drive where you need it most. You can use some of that freed up space to hold smart previews of the external files so that you can "edit them" even when the external storage is not connected. Lr will sync the changes automatically when you do connect the external storage.

- Alan

Aug 08, 2014 at 11:57 AM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · LR Question

Alan321 wrote:
Absolutely maybe.

You can definitely do it but.... Chances are that by the time you want to revert back to the internal drive you will have added new images to the external drive that are not on the internal drive. If they are on it then you probably aren't really running out of drive space and don't need to use the external drive at all.

Also, if you have allowed Lr to use .xmp sidecar files whenever you make changes (not an approach that I recommend if speed matters to you) then the files on your internal drive will be out
...Show more

Alan, first thanks for taking the time to respond.

Does this make sense, delete the photo library from my internal HD since I already have three mirrored copies on external HD's The internal HD makes it 4. This way I will keep the speed of the internal HD, and as new images come in to the cleared space on the internal HD, I will continue backing up to the three external HD.

Just need to know if I can revert back and forth from internal HD to external HD by simply clicking on Update Folder Location.

Say for example, I need some old images on the external HD, as I will have cleared them from the internal HD, it would be just a matter of right clicking on parent folder and then click on Update Folder location to get to them

Trying to be overly cautious before I click, and problems arise.

Aug 08, 2014 at 02:44 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.