Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

Last week, I took a break from work and flew to Whitehorse and then drove to Kluane. Kluane is just north of Skagway on the east side of Alaska, located in the extreme southwestern corner of Yukon, Canada.

Mount Logan is the highest mountain in Canada and the second-highest peak in North America, after Mount McKinley (Denali). Logan is believed to have the largest base circumference of any non-volcanic mountain on Earth , with the massif containing eleven peaks over 5,000 metres (16,400 ft).

I hired a plane to fly over the glacier late one night but was not fond of the light so I went back in the morning. They were great. They had portals for unubstructed pictures. http://www.kluaneglacierairtours.com/

Here are some shots I like of the views. It is a very large park with fantastic views.

Comments and feedback are appreciated. Scott

1-4 of 4

1 Mount Logan - the largest and 2nd tallest Mountain in North America - from 11,000 ft

2 Mount St Elias ( I think) - Almost on the Alaska border to the West

3 Glacier - Leading into the Icefield

4 Glacier - Another shot leading into the Icefield

Edited on Aug 05, 2014 at 12:02 PM · View previous versions

Aug 04, 2014 at 11:48 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

Stunning shots!

Aug 04, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

Man, these so so great. 4 is phenomenal but 3 keeps me looking longer!

Aug 05, 2014 at 12:17 AM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

Very nice set, I hope to visit Kluane one day

Aug 05, 2014 at 12:46 AM
berenosphoto
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

Some superb shots of a very impressibve and remote location!

Aug 05, 2014 at 03:17 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

Wow, these are really great. I flew over the area on my way off the Alsek River last year but only had my cell phone available in the plane. These make me wish I had a planned better. Very nice.

Aug 05, 2014 at 04:42 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

Awe inspiring landscapes wow. The rivers of ice, the seemingly endless "seas" of ice and snow and almost vertical mountains of rock and ice are impressive. Must be a rare sight to have such clear and expansive views given that with the amount of snow seen there the area probably has long stretches of bad weather.

Edited on Aug 05, 2014 at 08:23 AM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2014 at 07:14 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

nice views Scott.

David

Aug 05, 2014 at 08:16 AM
nwadventurer7
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

beautiful images..of such immense icefields scott...amazing...i havent flown that area in 35 years...a friend flew me from seattle to glac ier bay, then north through the malaspina glacier and east to mt st elias and mt logan. we had headaches from the altitude flying at14,000 feet...nice work

Edited on Aug 05, 2014 at 05:36 PM · View previous versions

Aug 05, 2014 at 09:20 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

savingspaces: Glad you like the shots. The ice and mountains and expanse are stunning. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Scott Kroeker: It is amazing to see 40-50km of ice flowing down a mountainside and then you throw in the split from two - its a fantastic place. Glad you like 3,4. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

can0nfan2379: Kluane is worth visiting. Just book a hotel, unlike me, and make a plan (unlike me). Glad you like the set. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

berenosphoto: It is remote but I understand that "Condor" flys direct from Frankfurt to Whitehorse every Wednesday and then its just a 2 hour drive. Just make sure you line up cars and hotels first because they are limited. Glad you like the shots. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 05, 2014 at 09:38 AM
bktools
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

Wow! Superb mountain landscapes at their finest. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Aug 05, 2014 at 09:46 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

NCAndy:Its worth going back to and its easy. 2 hours from whitehorse and whitehorse has great connections. Or 2 hours drive up from Haines, AK. Glad yo ulike the pictures. I had a hard time choosing which to post. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Sneakyracer: The views are inspiring and I have not done them justice. I would like to land on them and walk a bit. And what beautiful days. I am sure the winter is rough though. Glad you like the views. Thanks or the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

dgdg: Glad you like the views. Thanks or the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

nwadventurer7: We stopped at 11,000' without the headaches but it was impressive. I will have to follow your route some time. It sounds great. Glad you like the views. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 05, 2014 at 09:48 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

bktools wrote:
Wow! Superb mountain landscapes at their finest. Thanks for sharing.

Bob

Glad you like them. The airplane had several ports that permitted sticky my lens through the window. It made the difference. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 05, 2014 at 09:49 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

These are awe inspiring Scott, I keep scrolling up and down. I am thoroughly enjoying these. Wow.

Tim

Aug 05, 2014 at 10:31 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

A very cool and unique perspective Scott!
Did you rent the plane solely to do photography?

What about animals, did you see anything down there? Looks pretty barren!

Aug 05, 2014 at 10:41 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

Super good shots of those beautiful mountains. I was there in 2004 and very disappointed that those mountains were socked in the entire time I was nearby. You've helped make up for it.

Aug 05, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

Tim Kuhn: It is a wow place. I am glad you like the pictures. I have never seen such length of glaciation. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

ckcarr: There are multiple airplane trips out of Haines Junction - helicopter, land on the glacier planes and this one I took. I am glad I took them. They have portals that you can stick you lens though to avoid the dreaded yellow cast and reflections. I used my 100-400/7d and 5diii/24-105 at iso 320 to force a fast shutter speed. I rented the long flight around Logan but they found some people to join to keep the cost down to $600 or so. The pictures were good but I did not like the light on the ones of the streaming ice above so I went out again on a shorter ride at 7am, also about $600. So yes just rented for pictures and it was worth it. I highly recommend. I did not see any animals, except dall sheep, because it was mostly over the ice. I did see a few grizzlies, a wolf, and a moose while I was there but they are skittish because the First Nations are allowed to harvest in the park. So just butt shots. But I would go back for wildlife too. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

stanparker: Glad the shots helped you with seeing what you missed. You should go back. Whitehorse is easy to get to. And a fantastic spot. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 05, 2014 at 11:59 AM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

Scott, fantastic images! I was at Kluane Lake in late May, and again in late June, hoping to do a similar flight (with a different flyer, www.icefielddiscovery.com). But the weather did not cooperate either time. That is not unusual, apparently. So thanks for posting these. It just confirms to me that I need to go back.
Keith W.

Aug 05, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

kwilliam8 wrote:
Scott, fantastic images! I was at Kluane Lake in late May, and again in late June, hoping to do a similar flight (with a different flyer, www.icefielddiscovery.com). But the weather did not cooperate either time. That is not unusual, apparently. So thanks for posting these. It just confirms to me that I need to go back.
Keith W.

That flight looks good too. I saw the advertising. But ultimately the portholes on the tour I took won me over. Usually I do doors off tours from helicopter to avoid the glass. If you go back wait for a good weather forecast. Its worth the return. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Aug 05, 2014 at 03:51 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Kluane National Park - Ice and Mountains

Love those views. I'm always a sucker for mountain shots like these.

Aug 05, 2014 at 04:19 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.