Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Synology users

http://www.neowin.net/news/cryptolocker-deviation-attacks-synology-nas-devices

Aug 04, 2014 at 11:13 PM
RyanGphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Synology users

Thanks man. I use one and haven't updated my Synology yet.. Looks like tomorrow I will be.

Ryan G

Aug 04, 2014 at 11:35 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Synology users

I had updated to 5.0 quite some time ago and it seems that we may be safe with the most recent firmware. However, I have shut my Syno down until Synology makes a definitive statement concerning this. They have been somewhat delinquent in their response to this crisis and I'm hearing that it is tearing through Europe and Asia right now. Very bad stuff and another reason to make sure that you have a good back-up plan.

Aug 05, 2014 at 02:32 PM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Synology users

Thanks for the heads-up! Checking and updating mine now.

Aug 07, 2014 at 04:57 PM
Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Synology users

What is really ridiculous about this whole thing is that I finally got the email from Synology about this serious threat yesterday! It is true that the synolocker only effects DSM versions DSM 4.3-3810 or earlier; DSM 4.2-3236 or earlier; DSM 4.1-2851 or earlier and DSM 4.0-2257 or earlier. A patch issued in December 2013 would have helped users avoid this threat but the auto-update function of the DSM firmware update utility never worked right and many users were caught with their pants down. There were also many other reasons why users failed to update but you'd have to read the Synology fora to get the many reasons listed for that.

It is very hard for us non-Linux pro's to keep ourselves protected from the many things that can happen with a home server based on that kernel and this was just another of the many things that we usually learn about after the fact. Just very sad that Synology did not get the word out faster and warn the many people that might not have been affected by this extortionware if they had.

Aug 08, 2014 at 12:37 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Synology users

Interesting that Linux-based systems are now becoming viable targets. News articles are a little light on details of the exploit, but i guess this is a problem with Synology's code rather than a bug in Linux.

It also highlights two really important issues:
- the value of offline, non-writable backups
- the wisdom of having your primary data storage accessible to the outside world

Aug 11, 2014 at 05:29 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Synology users

15Bit wrote:
- the wisdom of having your primary data storage accessible to the outside world

Absolutely correct.

Aug 12, 2014 at 04:39 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Synology users

15Bit wrote:
Interesting that Linux-based systems are now becoming viable targets. News articles are a little light on details of the exploit, but i guess this is a problem with Synology's code rather than a bug in Linux.

That was done years ago. Files were hand carried from one computer to another. Probably a good idea in an age where hackers are getting into everything.

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:18 PM
beach bum

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Synology users

Thanks for the news. BB

Aug 17, 2014 at 04:01 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.