Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

Fast6
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

...where sometimes "modest" has a skewed definition

C&C welcome. I'll share some interiors if anyone's interested.

Aug 04, 2014 at 08:11 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

Cropped too tight IMO.

Aug 04, 2014 at 09:10 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

Thanks for your reply. I shot it with a little bit of wiggle room, but my camera alignment wasn't perfect, so I gave up almost all my wiggle room between the 0.x degrees of rotation and one click of vertical distortion correction.

Aug 04, 2014 at 09:33 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

I agree with Eskimo here. It is cropped pretty tight, and not just on the sides, but the bottom too. And it's still off just a tiny bit in terms of being straight - the left side, although there's a part of the railing on the right edge that makes it look out as well. I would straighten that separately.

The biggest problem for me is that it's too contrasty and severely unsaturated to have any mood, and I'm assuming mood is that you're going after. I did a quick laptop version that opens up the shadows somewhat and adds a ton of saturation along with darkening the sky. Of course this would be better on the original raw files, but the idea carries I think.

Remember with that lens - the 24mm TS-E II, you can shift it up and down, left and right to add to your frame, effectively making it a much wider lens, once you stitch it all to together.

Aug 04, 2014 at 10:22 PM
eskimochaos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

On second look, the pillar and stairwell are a little hot. I'd warm the white balance and tone down the highlights.

Aug 04, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

And I would probably nix the clarity control as it's giving you huge soft halos into the sky that are really apparent once you darken the sky. You can add clarity more effectively and selectively later in Ps if it's needed.

Aug 04, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

"Fast6", I agree with the above. Your redo of the building is vg except the sky.
I believe,there is a way to widen the image and add some width to the crop using existing image. But that is your choice and I am not 100% sure there is enough to work with.
Modest I wish for me!!
Nice subject though.
Dan

Aug 05, 2014 at 12:13 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

Guys-
Thanks to all of you. I'll do a little more work on it. A tiny bit of backstory before I respond individually:

I shot this for the architectural steel contractor, so the emphasis is on his work. I shot the interior of the house in a way that even more strongly emphasized his work. The interior photos don't entirely excite me, but I have to keep reminding myself that I didn't have total free reign like I have had on other projects.

I guess a question to all of you is whether the knowledge that it's for the steel guy changes your opinions with regard to WB, sky, cropping, contrast, etc.

Peter Figen wrote:
I agree with Eskimo here. It is cropped pretty tight, and not just on the sides, but the bottom too. And it's still off just a tiny bit in terms of being straight - the left side, although there's a part of the railing on the right edge that makes it look out as well. I would straighten that separately.

The biggest problem for me is that it's too contrasty and severely unsaturated to have any mood, and I'm assuming mood is that you're going after. I did a quick laptop version that opens up the shadows somewhat and
...Show more

Peter, thank you. I didn't really do anything to the sky and will play around with the adjustments you suggested/did.

I've done some bracketed and lit composites before, but I'm just so sensitive to touching the camera after it's locked down for fear of poorly registered images, especially when I'm shooting wide. You're absolutely right that I could have done some extra shifting. Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, I lost some of my extra room due to the corrections I had to make.

---------------------------------------------

eskimochaos wrote:
On second look, the pillar and stairwell are a little hot. I'd warm the white balance and tone down the highlights.

Fortunately, I've got layer-level control over every piece of light. Will play with those areas; thanks.

Peter Figen wrote:
And I would probably nix the clarity control as it's giving you huge soft halos into the sky that are really apparent once you darken the sky. You can add clarity more effectively and selectively later in Ps if it's needed.

This puzzles me. I'll double-check (and cross my fingers...) but I think these were SOOC RAW exports to 16-bit TIFF with no clarity adjustments. The only sharpening in the PS file is high-pass, but I did that globally, so perhaps that did not-so-nice things to the sky and I should apply that more locally.

Danpbphoto wrote:
"Fast6", I agree with the above. Your redo of the building is vg except the sky.
I believe,there is a way to widen the image and add some width to the crop using existing image. But that is your choice and I am not 100% sure there is enough to work with.
Modest I wish for me!!
Nice subject though.
Dan

Thanks for your thoughts. That's a level of surgery I'm a bit uncouth to do with an image like this Have you ever done transformations like that on an architectural photo? I don't mean that in an argumentative way...just curious.

Aug 05, 2014 at 06:54 PM
Mudflap
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

The "modest cabin" does have a bit of a Frank Lloyd Wright Fallingwater look to it.

Aug 05, 2014 at 07:11 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

Danpbphoto wrote:
Modest I wish for me!!
Nice subject though.
Dan

Thanks for your thoughts. That's a level of surgery I'm a bit uncouth to do with an image like this Have you ever done transformations like that on an architectural photo? I don't mean that in an argumentative way...just curious."

Short answer YES!!!
I had a bit more to work with on each side but I can give you the "jist" in a PM and you can try. I will be off line until tomorrow.
Dan

Aug 05, 2014 at 08:02 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

"This puzzles me. I'll double-check (and cross my fingers...) but I think these were SOOC RAW exports to 16-bit TIFF with no clarity adjustments. The only sharpening in the PS file is high-pass, but I did that globally, so perhaps that did not-so-nice things to the sky and I should apply that more locally."

The metadata says you've got a +15 on clarity, which probably doesn't show on the version you process, but as soon as you drastically increase the contrast or change the exposure, it starts to show. Actually, now that I look at it again, it's not too bad, but just another thing I prefer to do after the fact.

In terms of cropping in closer for this specific client, I can understand how that happens, but, if it were me, I'd try to get the whole shot in there - at least what I considered the whole shot. I know he's interested in seeing his ironwork, but I think it's even more effective if you pull back just enough and give him this killer shot that happens to have his work in it. He can always crop in if he needs to.

Aug 05, 2014 at 08:43 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

Peter Figen wrote:
The metadata says you've got a +15 on clarity, which probably doesn't show on the version you process, but as soon as you drastically increase the contrast or change the exposure, it starts to show. Actually, now that I look at it again, it's not too bad, but just another thing I prefer to do after the fact.

In terms of cropping in closer for this specific client, I can understand how that happens, but, if it were me, I'd try to get the whole shot in there - at least what I considered the whole shot. I know
...Show more

Busted by metadata! That's actually horrible, as it'll be lots of rework to replace the source image with unclaritied ones (yes, I just made that word up). Suppose I'll be mindful of that as I tweak this one...

Thanks Peter.

Aug 05, 2014 at 11:02 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

Short answer YES!!!
I had a bit more to work with on each side but I can give you the "jist" in a PM and you can try. I will be off line until tomorrow.
Dan

Please do!

Aug 05, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

I think to clarify, you should use the term - clarified.

Aug 06, 2014 at 12:06 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

Aug 06, 2014 at 09:17 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Modest cabin at Lake Tahoe...

I've been super heads-down lately, but I spent some time reworking this one. Turned down lights on pillars etc, used sky from a different exposure, warmed WB on house, less contrast, more saturation, etc.

I really appreciate the feedback from you guys.

Peter, the clarity mistake doesn't rear its ugly head when I'm editing the full-res PSB, but lesson learned. I'm just glad I didn't need to start over...

Aug 17, 2014 at 06:59 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.