New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · I need help trying to compare 70-200 F4 and F2.8 with OOF

sritri
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · I need help trying to compare 70-200 F4 and F2.8 with OOF

Another screen grab of an image unprocessed @ f/2.8 SOOC (5D Mark II )

http://www.shreenirao.com/Nature/CaptureLR.JPG

Aug 04, 2014 at 09:50 PM
Sophievb

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · I need help trying to compare 70-200 F4 and F2.8 with OOF

Thank you SLD. I took these with a tripod though!

Aug 04, 2014 at 09:53 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · I need help trying to compare 70-200 F4 and F2.8 with OOF

Another SOOC @ f/2.8

http://www.shreenirao.com/Nature/CaptureLR2.JPG

Aug 04, 2014 at 10:13 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · I need help trying to compare 70-200 F4 and F2.8 with OOF

What are the latest 2 photos supposed to demonstrate? Looks like there was motion blur in both of them to my eyes. Also looks like the camera focused on the microphone in the first photo. Make sure you are shooting at a shutter speed fast enough to stop motion - something like 1/320-1/500 of a second depending on the motion should be decent enough for light action. If someone is sprinting around you may even need to go up to 1/800 or 1/1000 of a second.

As for the tennis shoes, the increased depth of field you are perceiving in the f4 IS may be due to the less smooth bokeh (out of focus portions) that makes it appear as if more is in focus but the focal planes appear to be the same in both.

Having owned the f/4 non-IS, the f/2.8 non-IS, and now the f/2.8 IS II I can personally attest to the rather large jump in quality that the IS II had over previous lenses. It is subtle in some situations but make no mistake, the MK II IS is the best 70-200 ever made for a 35mm camera.

Aug 04, 2014 at 10:21 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · I need help trying to compare 70-200 F4 and F2.8 with OOF

In the first screen shot I was trying to point out the loss in DOF at 2.8 from the focus point and in the second there is some motion blur as it was fast paced dance performance but I was trying to demonstrate that at 2.8 it is possible to get a larger area in critical sharpness.

This (second) photo was printed as a 4' x 6' banner at the venue and looked stunning.

Aug 04, 2014 at 10:36 PM
sritri
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · I need help trying to compare 70-200 F4 and F2.8 with OOF

Here is an unprocessed 100% crop of the above. It is noisy at 1600 ISO no doubt but it is perfectly sharp even at a slow SS of 1/130 handheld. The IS on this lens is just amazing

http://www.shreenirao.com/Nature/CaptureLR3.JPG

Aug 04, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · I need help trying to compare 70-200 F4 and F2.8 with OOF

Sophievb wrote:
OK I guess! The jpeg pics don't show as much but if you look at the text on top of the page, the F4 is more defined and more black than the f2.8 . I did not think it should be the case with a glass that costs twice as much! My focus was in the blue star on the ! and I agree, that area looks sharp; what I am talking about is the rest of the image.

I'm not sure what you are complaining about. Both lenses are doing a fine job.

What you might be seeing here is that the f/2.8 lens goes out of focus faster (outside the region of DoF) than the f/4 lens, so the text is a bit blurred. Also you are shooting these lenses close to mfd and DoF is small and it appears these are hand held shots, so a minor change in position can result in a noticeable change in what appears in focus. Try some macro shooting to see what I mean.

You don't buy the f/2.8 zoom expecting it to be any different in IQ to the f/4 IS version, you buy it because you want to shoot at f/2.8 and/or shoot in lower light where the AF should be faster with the larger aperture lens. Wide open the f/2.8 lens will provide much nicer separation of subject and background in many cases, but of course you have to be more careful due to the smaller DoF and choose your composition carefully.

Aug 04, 2014 at 10:52 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · I need help trying to compare 70-200 F4 and F2.8 with OOF

Here's a suggestion- try adding some vignetting to the f/2.8 shots that were taken at f/4, and see if it isn't similar to what you were expecting from the f/4 lens wide-open.

Aug 04, 2014 at 11:00 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · I need help trying to compare 70-200 F4 and F2.8 with OOF

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I'm not sure what you are complaining about. Both lenses are doing a fine job.

What you might be seeing here is that the f/2.8 lens goes out of focus faster (outside the region of DoF) than the f/4 lens, so the text is a bit blurred. Also you are shooting these lenses close to mfd and DoF is small and it appears these are hand held shots, so a minor change in position can result in a noticeable change in what appears in focus. Try some macro shooting to see what I mean.

You don't buy the f/2.8 zoom expecting
...Show more

+1 Pixel Perfect.

In addition, in my experience, different lenses with different maximum apertures will render out of focus areas differently at the same comparable aperture settings. Usually the difference is so small it may only be seen in side by side comparisons as appears to be the case for the OP. Without exact side by side testing you may not be able to tell the two lenses apart.

The OP’s examples from the f/2.8 lens appear to be slightly lighter which can be adjusted darker in post processing.

Aug 05, 2014 at 06:33 PM
Fred Bruche
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · I need help trying to compare 70-200 F4 and F2.8 with OOF

I am guessing when you wrote that you were mostly doing 'portrait work', you didn't mean 'close-up shoe portrait' work... Maybe you should use the new lens for your usual work and then see whether it makes sense for you to choose one lens over the other. Like other's have said, there's nothing wrong with the pictures you posted so far.

Sophievb wrote:
OK I guess! The jpeg pics don't show as much but if you look at the text on top of the page, the F4 is more defined and more black than the f2.8 . I did not think it should be the case with a glass that costs twice as much! My focus was in the blue star on the ! and I agree, that area looks sharp; what I am talking about is the rest of the image.

Aug 05, 2014 at 10:22 PM
Jon_Doh
• •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · I need help trying to compare 70-200 F4 and F2.8 with OOF

Hard to say from the photos you've posted. The shoes look like you have a slight back focusing issue, but the portraits look fine. You could always test for front/back focusing and make the necessary microadjustment, but it may be nothing more than the aperture you're shooting at.

Aug 06, 2014 at 09:56 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.