1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2014 · Using Canon glass with Sony A7r

retrofocus
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Using Canon glass with Sony A7r

Fred Miranda wrote:
In my opinion Sony implemented a great compression algorithm. Since the A7R release, we have been trying to find noticeable flaws in the compressed raw files but in real world images, there is nothing to criticize. I was able to find some artifacts but it's very difficult to replicate these conditions as you need terrible lighting and push the shadows to unrealistic levels.
I would like to see more compression options in future models but to me, this is not an issue and I would be comfortable using the current compression when shooting landscape.

I'm very glad to have the A7R
...Show more

I agree with this - the only artefacts which I am sometimes seeing by not pushing shadows severely in my A7R files are all caused by my own post processing procedures (contrast changes etc).

Aug 06, 2014 at 12:40 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Using Canon glass with Sony A7r

I only wish I had discovered how bad the shadow banding artifacts are in the A7R in time to return it for a refund. Now I'm stuck dealing with Sony Canda's virtually non-existent customer service.

Aug 06, 2014 at 01:34 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Using Canon glass with Sony A7r

molson wrote:
I only wish I had discovered how bad the shadow banding artifacts are in the A7R in time to return it for a refund. Now I'm stuck dealing with Sony Canda's virtually non-existent customer service.

The overwhelming consensus on the A7R is that banding in shadows is not bad at all, an in fact is probably among the best of any camera around right now.

Presumably you're still within the warranty period, I would seriously consider sending it in for warranty repair as it may be there's some shielding missing and the sensor is picking up interference. It would be really helpful if you know someone with an A7R so you could do some direct comparisons.

Aug 06, 2014 at 02:05 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Using Canon glass with Sony A7r

Matt Grum wrote:
The overwhelming consensus on the A7R is that banding in shadows is not bad at all, an in fact is probably among the best of any camera around right now.

A consensus of opinion does not establish a fact - and so far, the only established fact is the shadow banding on the A7R is quite bad.

Aug 06, 2014 at 02:43 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Using Canon glass with Sony A7r

Molson, you mean your A7R copy. Canon sensor banding signatures does not seem bothering you all these years why suddenly you are so alert with your own A7R version now

Aug 06, 2014 at 03:02 PM
artd
• • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Using Canon glass with Sony A7r

molson wrote:
A consensus of opinion does not establish a fact - and so far, the only established fact is the shadow banding on the A7R is quite bad.

Ok, c'mon man. I mean, that is just a silly statement. Just how was this "fact" established?

Others have tried to offer explanations and suggestions for your issues in the other A7r thread. Also, others have tried and failed to duplicate the banding you have seen. So, let's take a step back and look at the situation logically.

Which is a more plausible scenario?

A) The A7r does not have bad shadow banding. For whatever reason your copy may have something wrong with it.

B) The A7r does have bad shadow banding, it's just that everyone else who owns the camera besides you who have pushed the shadows and tried to get the banding to show up must all have copies of the camera that miraculously do not show the issue.

I am sorry the camera does not function for you the way you expected. But, in the face of all the data, yours is the outlier.

Aug 06, 2014 at 04:01 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Using Canon glass with Sony A7r

Cameras with the 36mp Exmor sensor (D800, D800E, D810, A7R) have the best low ISO shadows in the market.
Hopefully Canon will change that in a future body release.

Aug 06, 2014 at 04:06 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.