New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Capture One and Canon 5D3

denlex
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Capture One and Canon 5D3

Question..I do a lot of events where i do not have time or the situation doesn't lend itself to doing a custom white balance..and I rely on Capture One to be able to adjust the white balance.

Now when i import files into Capture One, I use the base characteristics for the 5D3, as it is already loaded into CO7.

However, the files are generally too warm for my taste, especially with regards to skin tones...
is anyone using a different base characteristic setting...?

Thanks,

Stan

Aug 03, 2014 at 10:06 AM
keithreeder
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Capture One and Canon 5D3

The more "recent" Capture One profiles are all too warm, in my opinion - from around the 7D onwards, every Canon profile has had a decided bias towards orange.

I use the old 1D Mk III profile myself - much more natural. I've renamed the default profiles for my cameras from within my computer's file system, and created new defaults by copying and renaming the Mk III's profile to suit my bodies.

Aug 03, 2014 at 04:38 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Capture One and Canon 5D3

I don't agree at all that the recent profiles are too warm. They are, in my experience, pretty phenomenal right out of the box. But - if you find they aren't quite to your liking, Capture One provides a really easy way to tweak the profiles and re-save them as a new ICC input camera profile using the Color Editor, which is in the same tab as your white balance control. Before going down that road, I would make sure that you're using the correct white balance and tint for your images. That's usually where people get off base, and there are both "correct" numerically, and then a wholly different set of parameters that might look better for your images.

Capture One makes it very easy to both modify an existing profile and then copy all of the parameters of your raw adjustments and paste them to one or all of your other raw files.

If you choose the "wrong" camera profile, it will also completely alter the default noise reduction settings, as those defaults are based on test Phase has done for each camera at each ISO. The default "50" setting that comes up is not the same for each camera. It's what Phase feels is the best starting point for that camera model. Not that you can't re-do those all yourself, but why.

Aug 04, 2014 at 02:44 AM
jstaylor
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Capture One and Canon 5D3

Try using the built in Color Balance presets installed by default. Might be an easy fix to the issue.

Aug 07, 2014 at 08:54 PM
Snead
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Capture One and Canon 5D3

I didn't like the Capture One film profiles and switched to using Linear Response. This enables to create settings that I prefer without other influences. Then I save the settings as the default profile.

Aug 08, 2014 at 02:27 PM
keithreeder
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Capture One and Canon 5D3

I don't agree at all that the recent profiles are too warm. They are, in my experience, pretty phenomenal right out of the box.

And you're entitled to your opinion, Peter: but Phase One has confirmed to me - in writing - on their forum - that their profiles are intended be pleasing, not accurate; and that the bias towards warmth is an intentional step in achieving that.

If you choose the "wrong" camera profile, it will also completely alter the default noise reduction settings

Simply - and observably - incorrect. The profiles we're talking about are only colour profiles; the NR applied is based on the Raw file's Exif.

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:44 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.