Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sigma 120-300 with 1.4 issue.....

photomedic4321
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 120-300 with 1.4 issue.....

I am renting a Sigma 120-300 from Roger and I have put a Sigma 1.4 TC on it to shoot a boat race this weekend and I have to ask anybody who owns this lens, I am seeing A LOT of vignetting with this lens at F4 on a FF body. Some of the vignetting also looks like it has banding it it. Anybody else notice this?

Aug 02, 2014 at 04:46 PM
mikepmcs
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 120-300 with 1.4 issue.....

I didn't like the TC when I threw it on during hockey games. Made the lens all but unusable IMO. I really didn't notice a horrible vignetting issue without a TC though.
I didn't return the TC cause it was cheap and I figured bright sunny days it might have a use or 2.
I will now take it outside tomorrow or Monday if it isn't raining and put the TC on it and shoot something to see if I can duplicate what you're saying to give you at least some feedback.

I'm a Nikon dude so what body are you using it on? If it's Nikon, I can put it on the same FF body to compare apples to apples.

Aug 02, 2014 at 05:05 PM
photomedic4321
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 120-300 with 1.4 issue.....

Thank you. I figured out the banding, that was my bad. I was just seeing it on the preview of the NEF file! The vignetting is still pretty harsh though. The 1.4 is not bad, we will see tomorrow. I will try and post some pics later. Thanks.

Aug 02, 2014 at 05:09 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 120-300 with 1.4 issue.....

Perhaps the TC was just exaggerating the vignetting of that lens wide open? I have used a Sigma TC without issue. The 120-300 is my dream lens when I hit the lottery.

Aug 02, 2014 at 08:54 PM
thegame81
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 120-300 with 1.4 issue.....

This is one of those lenses that goes really well with both the sigma TCs. It's unbelievable especially how well it works with the 2x. Even if you get some vignetting, it's easily fixed in post. You have to stop down atleast by 1 stop to get good results with either of the TCs. I have owned 2 different copies of the lens and the TCs, and the results were consistent.

with 1.4x

with 2x

with 2x zoomed all the way out

Aug 03, 2014 at 01:10 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.