New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · P&S for my wife

DaveOls
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · P&S for my wife

I've been thinking of getting a newer p&s camera for my wife as the Fuji I bought her does not take very good pictures. The one she is using is a Fuji JX 500 which I believe has a 1/2.3 sensor. I have been looking at the Fuji XF 1 which has a 1/1.7 sensor. It probably is not much larger than this one and should take better pictures. I did not find a forum topic specifically for p&s cameras, so I posted it here. Anyone have any suggestions. And don't tell me a Sony RX 100.

Aug 02, 2014 at 03:34 PM
flash
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · P&S for my wife

Why not? The RX100III seems to be the benchmark at the moment. Why have you excluded it?

Gordon

Aug 02, 2014 at 04:12 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · P&S for my wife

Micro 4/3 camera? How about the Panasonic GM1? It's tiny--that's my fiance's P&S...

Aug 02, 2014 at 04:20 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · P&S for my wife

Any small or big sensor camera have full automatic so everything is really P&S with the right setting. For small I'd suggest a 16MP NEX as they are quipped with possibly the best APS-C sized sensor around. 300-400€ for a kit with good AF-lens. Beyond good-enough for the enthusiast wanting to explore legacy lenses but also for anyone that thinks the camera is to blame for boring images. If you mean fixed-lens camera I have no idea but the RX 100 seem quite good ;-)

Aug 02, 2014 at 04:21 PM
Dr Tone
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · P&S for my wife

The kit lenses that comes with the NEX isn't as good as the lens on the RX100M3. The OP should really elaborate why the RX100 series is out of the question, I assume price.

Aug 02, 2014 at 04:45 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · P&S for my wife

DaveOls wrote:
I've been thinking of getting a newer p&s camera for my wife as the Fuji I bought her does not take very good pictures. The one she is using is a Fuji JX 500 which I believe has a 1/2.3 sensor. I have been looking at the Fuji XF 1 which has a 1/1.7 sensor. It probably is not much larger than this one and should take better pictures. I did not find a forum topic specifically for p&s cameras, so I posted it here. Anyone have any suggestions. And don't tell me a Sony RX 100.

I gave my Fuji XF1 to my wife and she has been using it happily for about a year now. Very cheap camera if you can find one now. The original price was $499 and is now well under $200. IQ from this camera is pretty good.

Aug 02, 2014 at 04:57 PM
umgrizz
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · P&S for my wife

If you want any old cheap P&S, then just pick one. If you want a very good P&S, then sorry but it's the Sony RX 100 MkIII.

Aug 02, 2014 at 06:09 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · P&S for my wife

DaveOls wrote:

The Fuji XF1 has a 2/3rds inch sensor, which is larger than 1/1.7 but a substantial amount.

Aug 02, 2014 at 07:55 PM
Geoff CB
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · P&S for my wife

Most will not agree, but I loved my Panasonic LX7. Great images I got from that camera with a good lens on the front. For a point & shoot the 10 mp is more than enough for the sensor size. A cheap good option.

Edited on Aug 05, 2014 at 08:40 AM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2014 at 08:17 PM
Flav
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · P&S for my wife

Have you considered the Canon S110, it's very small, great in low light and has maximum aperture of f2 with a good zoom on it. It also features full manual control of needed (all 4 modes: P A S M). I never had it but all reviews point to s series as the best very compact camera with P A S M. They're reasonably priced also.

Aug 02, 2014 at 08:52 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · P&S for my wife

I kind of ruled out the Sony RX 100 because of the price. The first model is selling for around $ 500 and the third model is around $ 750. My wife tends to misplace things and can not find them for months. That's not as bad if it is a $ 200 camera, but not for a camera over $ 700. I'd like to get a RX 100 for myself when my Samsung TL 350 self destructs. For a 1/2.3 sensor camera the Samsung TL 350 takes very good pictures. The flash is a little weak though.

Aug 03, 2014 at 06:51 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · P&S for my wife

I like the Canon G1X original, but the new G1X Mark II is a better camera. A new one is not cheap, but the best "large" P&S zoom images with the largest sensor. The original goes for about $300 used.

Aug 03, 2014 at 09:24 AM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · P&S for my wife

DaveOls wrote:
My wife tends to misplace things and can not find them for months.

Maybe you can get her an Iphone to make photos? You can locate it online when she lost it.

Aug 04, 2014 at 06:55 AM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · P&S for my wife

The trouble with the Iphone is that you have to pay every month to use it. After a year or two you could have bought a real camera. Maybe even an D4.

Aug 04, 2014 at 07:01 AM
krugorg
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · P&S for my wife

How about an iPod Touch? The camera is nearly as good as the iPhone and you would be able to use a bunch of photography and social media apps directly (Facebook, 500px, Flickr, Smugmug, editors, etc.) They can be had fairly inexpensively with no plan... also, Apple sells refurb models directly.

Aug 04, 2014 at 09:05 AM
roger lund
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · P&S for my wife

Loving my Canon EOS-M. I would recommend it.

want some shot examples?

Aug 04, 2014 at 09:26 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · P&S for my wife

I got a Nikon J1 for my girlfriend. It was a good swap

Aug 04, 2014 at 10:31 AM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · P&S for my wife

DaveOls wrote:
I kind of ruled out the Sony RX 100 because of the price. The first model is selling for around $ 500 and the third model is around $ 750. ....

The RX100 original sells for something like $350 in the used market I believe. $500 would be more in line for the RX100 II.

Nevertheless if you don't want to go for RX100 then also consider Canon S95/s100/s110 series. They are by far the most compact and lightest of all the "premium compacts" yet pack in a 1/1.7" sensor. The lens is of course slow on the telephoto end unlike say LX7, but other than that I actually liked my s95 quite a lot.

On the other end of the spectrum, an EOS-M+22mmf2 combo can be had for less than $300 these days and trumps any of these cameras in terms of IQ at the expense of zoom.

Aug 04, 2014 at 12:07 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.