• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma DP2 Quattro review

Aug 02, 2014 at 04:28 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma DP2 Quattro review

A little more info in the OP would be helpful to other folks here-- rather than a blind youtube link...

In any case, I'll try to fill in where the OP left off:

This is The Camera Store review of the Quattro. The main points are:

Pros
- Much better, but still weak number of shots per battery, around 200
- Much better, but still weak, high ISO performance (iso 800 is OK)
- Still produces high resolution images that look nice printed large
- Lifting shadows works well
- Pleasing colors

Cons
- Terrible ergonomics for the reviewer. I would say he gave it an F on this score
- Resolution is a little lower than the Merrills, but this is what likely allows more versatility in other places
- Weak dynamic range, particularly when it comes to the highlights
- Difficult to pack, and bulky, because of the odd shape

My own reaction: If I were in the market for one of these cameras, I'd probably just get the Merrill for half the price, better IQ, and smaller size. The reason is that if I get one of these, it's for pure IQ in a tiny package, shooting on a tripod at base ISO. So the trade-offs the Quattro introduces in order to get a little better battery life and higher ISO... just isn't worth it for me. Particularly not for paying twice the cost.

I think it was a pretty solid review, given the genre.

Aug 02, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma DP2 Quattro review

After testing this Quattro myself for five days and about 500 frames, I think this review may be a little off. For instance, he converted the raws directly to jpegs and we don't know what settings were used (which is extremely critical when dealing with Foveon raws). My raw conversions directly to Tiff - turning sharpening off and sharpening using better tools afterwards- offered better IQ and resolution compared to my Merrill files which were similarly optimized.

I saw noticeably better dynamic range compared to Merrills and did not see the issues he found in the highlights (though I never overexpose). I also did not suffer the extreme conversion times on my 2012 Macbook Pro he saw with his iMac. Given all this discrepancy, I suspect there may be an issue with the jpeg output from Sigma Photo Pro (which would not be surprising given how buggy the software is).

As far as shape/ packing is concerned, it's odd for certain but I found the Quattro is best packed vertically for most efficient use of bag space. If packed that way, I think one could actually pack three of these (vertically) in a small bag about the size of a Think Tank Retrospective 5.

This is a camera one needs to spend a decent amount of time with in order to get used to it quirks and learn how to extract the most from it. It still feels very "beta" to me but I think it shows promise.

Aug 02, 2014 at 12:37 PM
apsphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma DP2 Quattro review

I agree with Tariq, I had it too for 5 days and I think his review was a little off. I found it easy to blow out the highlights, and they were not easy to see on the histogram, but once I figured that out it was easy to compensate. All part of the learning curve for any camera. I did not see the funny colors just blown highlights.

The software does have issues but within the next 2 weeks there should be a new firmware and software releases. That was announced by the President of Sigma. Hopefully it will clear up some of the issue.

The resolution is quite nice, big prints look good. As a specialized camera with a few quirks it is good tool.

Alan

Aug 02, 2014 at 11:52 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma DP2 Quattro review

OK, sounds like the review is a bit flawed. Or at least pointing out issues that are, in part, due to the software.

But would you ever consider the Quattro over the Merrill?

It's interesting to me that both of you start your posts with (paraphrase): During my five days...

Meaning you didn't keep the camera. And I assume that if it had been impressive enough, you would have considered keeping it.

Aug 03, 2014 at 02:25 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma DP2 Quattro review

justruss wrote:
OK, sounds like the review is a bit flawed. Or at least pointing out issues that are, in part, due to the software.

But would you ever consider the Quattro over the Merrill?

It's interesting to me that both of you start your posts with (paraphrase): During my five days...

Meaning you didn't keep the camera. And I assume that if it had been impressive enough, you would have considered keeping it.

Sigma offered these Quattros to users through a completely free 5 day "Test Shoot" program. Everyone who participated had to return them. I'm sure Sigma learned/ gained as much from users through this pseudo "beta" program as users did about the camera. There is another thread here where Alan and myself recount our experience.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1303855/2

I would consider the Quattro over the Merrill once some of the bugs are ironed out (though owning the A7r, neither really interests me).

Aug 03, 2014 at 05:08 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma DP2 Quattro review

I'm aware of the Test Shoot program. I would assume it's less about beta testing as it is about getting the camera into hands they hope will want to keep the camera.

Aug 03, 2014 at 07:27 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma DP2 Quattro review

justruss wrote:
I'm aware of the Test Shoot program. I would assume it's less about beta testing as it is about getting the camera into hands they hope will want to keep the camera.

That was certainly the "official" reason, though given the obvious issues with the Quattro (over- heating for instance) and it's software, I think it naive to think Sigma did not also intend to learn about any issues before the launch of the camera in the U.S. (hence it was used and served as a sort of beta testing). There have already been multiple updates to the software - sometimes coming a week apart- and a cameras firmware update is also due soon. Clearly, this was not a ready-for-the public, finished product at the time of the Test Shoot program.

Aug 03, 2014 at 08:34 AM
apsphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma DP2 Quattro review

I hope it did help them to tweak the camera and the software, I guess we shall see. I ended up ordering one and it will be a supplement to what I have already. It is certainly not a quick grab camera. I never used the Merrills so I do not have any notion of comparison. I have made some large prints and I have done some more work on the images I collected during the trail The large prints look really great, tons of detail, if you are careful about exposure and focus and technique. That is part of the fun of photography. I am also liking some of the black and white conversions. Overall I think it will be an interesting camera with a lot of potential, and not having to buy into another interchangeable lens system. I already have that with my Canon and Fuji gear.

Alan

Aug 04, 2014 at 12:16 AM
Chrissearle
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma DP2 Quattro review

As a long term user of a DP2M and DP3M and having seen both this Q review and his original review of the DP2M I would say there is a significant amount of bias shown in both. Lots of use of emotive terms like 'crap'. He hated the DP2M ( except the output) and he thinks that the Q is only a marginal improvement. Look, we all know there are issues, some rather overblown in my personal view. In particular I found it difficult to come to terms with the length of time taken to process the image. Like others, my MBP takes maybe 15 seconds to do this task, comparatively slow I know, but nowhere near as slow as the review made out. Bottom line, incredible IQ is available at a very reasonable cost in the M.
I'm waiting for the DP1Q myself.

Aug 04, 2014 at 03:27 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma DP2 Quattro review

Finally got my demo Q this week.... absolutely hated the grip, but after a day or two its not as bad, still sucks, but I could probably live with it.

Hood is absurdly big, compared to the nice compact DP2m hood.... Not sure why a 4" saucer shape was chosen for a 30mm lens....

The SD card slot is probably the worst design aspect. How long is that rubber hinge going to last ? That was just plain dumb design for a rubber door for something your going to access every time you use the camera.

I do really like the new LCD, worlds better than the DP2m. Its like a LED HD tv vs a 27" CRT wood panel counsel in your grandparents living.

Overall speed of operation is also pretty nice, feel more like a modern camera to me, HOWEVER, the AF has missed a few times, which my DP2m never seems to do

DP2m also seems to resolve more fine detail. Stucco wall for example has a lot more pattern than the Q, but, the Q does seem to have more accurate color in most cases. Always get color cast with the M that can be hard to deal with.

Even though I don't like all the design aspects, I do enjoy shooting with the Q more honestly.

One interesting thing I've noticed, and will need to test more, is that when processing with the monochrome option, the Q seems closer to the M in terms of detail.

I'm not sure if that is something to do with how it uses the Foveon layers or what.... I'll keep everyone posted

Aug 08, 2014 at 08:26 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma DP2 Quattro review

Wasn't there just a firmware update? Has this changed anything?

Aug 09, 2014 at 01:20 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma DP2 Quattro review

millsart wrote:
One interesting thing I've noticed, and will need to test more, is that when processing with the monochrome option, the Q seems closer to the M in terms of detail.

I'm not sure if that is something to do with how it uses the Foveon layers or what.... I'll keep everyone posted

When comparing the Q to the Merrill, try shooting some distant type landscapes (trees, foliage etc) with sharpening turned all the way down on both (-2) and sharpening afterwards in Photoshop or Lightroom. As I posted in the other thread, I saw a resolution advantage with the Q in that case.

The Merrills seem to give the illusion of detail by default through over sharpening and "contrast enhancement"( blocked up shadows..think localized S-Curve applied to toe of curve) whereas the Q does not use that trick and the output looks more natural. Because it's more difficult to "fake" detail with distant, intricate subject matter - and when the color information is removed - I suspect that is what you are seeing in the monochrome.

I'm curious if you see any hints of banding from the monochrome output of the Q in smooth areas like skies, etc. I found that in the Q I tested, which was a big dissapointment. The just released firmware update for the camera apparently made some sort of improvement with raw noise so perhaps that was addressed.

Aug 09, 2014 at 09:12 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.