Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              8       9       end

Archive 2014 · Canon to Nikon

canerino
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon to Nikon

I've shot Canon from the beginning and have always flirted with Nikon. They really opened my eyes when they came out with the d700 and d3. I played with a d700 for about an hour in a camera store once, but decided that it was just too much work to sell off my canon stuff.

Here I am again. I'm considering getting the Nikon Df. What's funny is that when the camera first came out, I bashed the price of it (and probably a few other things). Well, the price has settled to a reasonable level (in the used market) and Nikon has a very nice selection of primes.

Why change?

1) Sensor. I was pretty happy with my Canon files....still am. But I have been shooting a Sony RX1 for the past 8 months and it definitely yields better results (image quality) than my Canon. Is this any 'real' difference in the clients eyes? Probably not. But I know its there and it bothers me a bit. I also think that the Df's 16 MP is the ideal size for wedding shooters.

2) Size. While I havent held a Df, it seems smaller than the 5d3 and is lighter. Also, the Nikon G 1.8 primes are significantly smaller than my current L lenses.

3) Something new. I've always been a gearhead, however, since photography has become a 'business' for me, playing with various gear isnt a great 'business' move. I've done some math and I think I'd be just about even in the setup I would be looking at, so why not?

What is holding me back a bit:

1) Flashes. I love the 600ex rts that I have. SO intuitive and completely reliable.

2) 135L. From what I understand, there really isnt a Nikon counterpart.

What am I missing? Why should I do it? Why shouldnt I do it?

Aug 01, 2014 at 11:08 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon to Nikon

Think of me and you will immediately perceive the answer.

Change is nice.

Df probably wouldn't be able to keep up in the autofocus department (compared to a 5d3 that works "properly" by popular report). However it has a good selection of focus screens to choose from.

Df doesn't have 1/8000 ss.

Df doesn't quite have the dynamic range of the D800/D600. But it has the best high ISO noise of any Nikon dSLR, and probably on par with the 1dx.

Only 16mp.

Df shutter has no silent mode like the 5d3. Only the D810 is really quiet like the 5d3.

Expensive to switch. Less expensive to dabble first.

IMO should be supplemented with a high megapixel camera for family photos and possibly some other portraits.

It's a first-generation design. The next one will probably be significantly better (if they update it).

Only takes SD cards, only one card.

Nikon skin tones...never look natural IMO.

Edited on Aug 01, 2014 at 11:50 PM · View previous versions

Aug 01, 2014 at 11:39 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon to Nikon

You forgot to mention how much cooler the Df looks than a 5D3. That does matter :-D.

Do you have any hesitation with the Df's lack of dual memory card slots?

Aug 01, 2014 at 11:46 PM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon to Nikon

Why not rent a body and one lens and shoot it alongside your other gear at a wedding and see what you think after having a look at the resultant files. That's what I do with any gear purchase I'm considering. More often than not, after renting the gear, I decide against buying.

Aug 02, 2014 at 12:25 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon to Nikon

canerino wrote:
I've shot Canon from the beginning and have always flirted with Nikon. They really opened my eyes when they came out with the d700 and d3. I played with a d700 for about an hour in a camera store once, but decided that it was just too much work to sell off my canon stuff.

Here I am again. I'm considering getting the Nikon Df. What's funny is that when the camera first came out, I bashed the price of it (and probably a few other things). Well, the price has settled to a reasonable level (in the used market)
...Show more

1) Dont do it, rumors are that canon will soon release some interesting sensor tech, if you switch, wait till after this season.

2) The Df is stupid, the d600/610 is cheaper and has the same AF + the sensor from the RX1 that you know and love. (slightly different color filter)... ohh and dual card slots

3) Taxes / depreciation / etc come into play as a business. Buying and selling that much would be a royal pain.

--------

1) Flashes - Love my Godox ving flashes, may never go back to ttl (lithium battery, simple interface, great remote power control)

2)135L - nothing now (the nikon one sucks). Supposedly Sigma will release one soon though. I use a Sigma 150 f2.8 or 70-200 where I would use the 135L. Not the same at all.

Aug 02, 2014 at 04:01 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon to Nikon

Lots to consider, but the 1 card slot is the killer for me.

Aug 02, 2014 at 07:34 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon to Nikon

If I were switching from Canon to NIkon the df is not the body I would migrate to. They take one of the best low-light sensors and put it in a body that struggles to focus in low light. If you shot a lot of outdoor stuff I'd say go for the df or d600 Chuck. But you seem to post a lot of indoor stuff, so I'd stick to the d4 or d810.

- trr

Aug 02, 2014 at 08:11 AM
SGallant
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon to Nikon

Chuck. I don't think you would be happy moving from a 5D3 to a DF. IMHO, I don't think it would satisfy you as a working camera. Now if you were talking a used D4, I would say come to the good side and see your happiness come out! And to me 16 MP is just downright perfect, and I for one like our skin tones.

As one last side note, the DF is not considered a pro level camera by Nikon (perhaps this will change). But they don't allow it as a qualifying camera for NPS. For whatever that's worth to you.

Aug 02, 2014 at 08:12 AM
John Tran
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon to Nikon

Grass always greener on the other side.

Aug 02, 2014 at 10:41 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon to Nikon

I personally think the switch will be a nice change.
I think without a doubt just about everything Nikon offers is smoking anything Canon offers these days with the exception of maybe the longest lenses. For general wedding work you have a plethora of ultra sharp lenses that are both 1.4 and 1.8 if you want something cheaper. Nothing (besides a 135) is really left out.

Flash is whatever. Nikon CLS is great and I think that you could also get some Cheetah flashes that will essentially work the same as your Canon flashes and cost like 1/4 the price.

As for the Df vs whatever else.
Probably just have to try it. I used the Df for a few minutes and didn't mind the autofocus. I thought some of the other controls were kinda weird but whatever on that.
The d800/d810 are way to much sensor for weddings. The 36mp no matter what will be subject to motion blur unless shot at high SS.

The d600 is also no different than the Df IMO.

I know you do not want a bigger body but I would look at the D3s/D4. You will get over the fact that they are huge once you see that it works 2x better than any other camera you have ever held. They are seriously beasts that have no match.

Aug 02, 2014 at 11:21 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon to Nikon

I have seen people move from a D800 to a Df and love it. I also know someone that added one to his 5D3 kit with a 58 1.4 and this person also likes it a lot.

I just switched out my sb-900's with SU-800 for Einsteins to use on location. The power these give is really nice and I only had to switch from a big backpack to a rolling case to carry them.

I wouldn't switch immediately, but would take the Df and 2 nice lenses as an add-on until you are familliar with it.

Aug 02, 2014 at 11:34 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon to Nikon

Regarding DR, the Df/D4/D4s feature superior dynamic range at ISO 800 and above. So yes, the D800 has better DR until you hit 800.

Would you be happy with the Df in low light? I know there are photographers getting great results in these conditions, probably due to AF-S with an SB-910. But that doesn't negate the fact that you'd be sacrificing Nikon's pro AF system. Which truly is a wonder.

600ex...well you could do what we do. Velcro some radio poppers to SB-910s. So there are definitely some work arounds. But Canon has the advantage there, don't they?

Keep in mind, the Df isn't a pro body and you won't qualify for NPS. I know because I requested a Df for evaluation and NPS said they don't offer them for evaluation because they're just not pro level.

Are your hands large? I've read some complaints from men with large hands that the ergonomics are a little frustrating. People with smaller hands love the Df layout though, so it just depends.

Anyway, the answer to your quandary is rent. Then you'll know. Personally, I think the second generation Df, D900, and D5, at this point, are worth waiting for.

Aug 02, 2014 at 11:36 AM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon to Nikon

canerino wrote:

Well if you liked those two bodies then you would love the D3s, D4 and D4s. All of which have significantly better low light auto-focus. I don't use AF assist with any of my Nikon bodies never have, I've owned and shot extensively with the D700, D3, D3s and D4. The D3s and D4 and most likely the new 4s, although I've never shot with the later, are killer good in low light reception shooting. But there is a caveat, they work best with Nikon's 'G' series zooms, the 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200. It is the weirdest thing, the Nikon zooms hunt less and acquire focus faster than their best primes, 35 1.4G, 85 1.4G ( although I have not shot with the new 58 1.4) in really low light. I just recently rented the new 28 1.8 and 85 1.8 and they are better than the 35 1.4G and 85 1.4 G but still not as fast as their zooms.

canerino wrote:
Why change?

1) Sensor. I was pretty happy with my Canon files....still am. But I have been shooting a Sony RX1 for the past 8 months and it definitely yields better results (image quality) than my Canon. Is this any 'real' difference in the clients eyes? Probably not. But I know its there and it bothers me a bit. I also think that the Df's 16 MP is the ideal size for wedding shooters.

Personally I would not recommend switching to Nikon at all even though I love my D3s, D4 combo I would recommend that you look at a mirror less system. To me that is where is it at and where it is going. It is the future of photography. Wether that be FF, 4/3 or m4/3 you have lots of choices. I love the EVF and the tilt/swivel screens I would go with one of these long before a Df.

canerino wrote:
2) Size. While I havent held a Df, it seems smaller than the 5d3 and is lighter. Also, the Nikon G 1.8 primes are significantly smaller than my current L lenses.

If size and weight are a primary reason for wanting to switch then a minor less system wins hands down in that department.

canerino wrote:
What is holding me back a bit:

1) Flashes. I love the 600ex rts that I have. SO intuitive and completely reliable.

Well Nikon does not have anything like the Canon and as of now it does not look like they are even looking at adding this. So you have to go third party. Even with 3rd party there is nothing as good as the Canon but there are system that are close enough that it would not be any issue for an experienced off camera lighting shooter to make it work. Phottix Mitros + for Nikon has a very good, very reliable radio system but it has a caveat, the on-board TTL is very inconsistent. So if on-camera TTL for fill is an important feature then this can be a draw back. But the radio system is very good mine never misfire and they are very easy to use.

canerino wrote:
2) 135L. From what I understand, there really isnt a Nikon counterpart.

About a year and half ago there was some stirrings on the rumor boards that Nikon was going to release an update to their 135 f2, I think they may have even filled a new patent registration but so far nothing has happened. But if you love primes, lots of them then the mirror less systems have lots of choices far more than Nikon or Canon and they are half the weight and cost 1/3 to 1/2 the price of CaNikon equivalent.

canerino wrote:
What am I missing? Why should I do it? Why shouldnt I do it?

I would not recommend it to anyone personally even though I love my Nikons I just don't think the Df is worth the money. I know you can reduce your weight by half by going mirror less and get more gear for your money.

To me the biggest draw back of the Df and mirror less system is that they are all single card bodies. That, more than anything, makes me nervous about using them.

Edited on Aug 02, 2014 at 08:33 PM · View previous versions

Aug 02, 2014 at 01:58 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon to Nikon

ohsnaphappy wrote:
Regarding DR, the Df/D4/D4s feature superior dynamic range at ISO 800 and above. So yes, the D800 has better DR until you hit 800.

Would you be happy with the Df in low light? I know there are photographers getting great results in these conditions, probably due to AF-S with an SB-910. But that doesn't negate the fact that you'd be sacrificing Nikon's pro AF system. Which truly is a wonder.

600ex...well you could do what we do. Velcro some radio poppers to SB-910s. So there are definitely some work arounds. But Canon has the advantage there, don't they?

Keep in mind, the
...Show more

actually, the d800 has better dynamic range up to iso 3200....

don't get a DF. it's a novelty item that's seriously lacking in the AF department. It's not a professional level camera.

Aug 02, 2014 at 08:25 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon to Nikon

1. Prosumer autofocus
  2. One card slot
  3. (looks to be) terrible ergonomics

Those kill it for me. I have a D600 with the same autofocus and it's pretty good, but I wouldn't use it as my main camera, it struggles too much at receptions.

But if you really want to go for it, you can overcome missing your 600RT flashes by getting the new Mitros+ flashes, they're basically the exact same thing, but from a third party. There is no replacing the 135L, it's the one and only lens I really miss from my Canon days. All the Nikon people have been hoping for years for Nikon to update theirs, or Sigma to make a good one.

Aug 02, 2014 at 10:21 PM
mineymole
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon to Nikon

Everyone who says that the DF struggles in low light, have you used the camera at weddings?

I have three DF's coming from Canon 5DIII's. My DF does not struggle any more to focus than my 5DIII did.

The sensor on the DF is great. The auto white balance is brilliant. I love the file size as well.

The only thing I don't like: 1 card, and 1/4000 shutter speed (though I have found that this doesn't really matter most of the time at weddings and I shoot a lot of mid day sunny weddings outside).

Yes you lose the Canon flash system which, right now, is hard to beat. Nikon is behind with theirs. But I've gone back to using manual flashes off camera and couldn't be happier.

The dynamic range of the DF beats the 5DIII hands down. I also owned the D800 and personally I like the files from the DF better because it handles high ISOs better especially colorwise.

The ergonomics is not horrible - just different. It reminds me of holding an old 35mm film camera rather than the modern beefed up DSLR. The loss in weight makes up the difference IMO.

As to the 135 - I quite like Nikon's 135. My copy is really sharp and produces beautiful images.

Just my 2 cents. Oh and I am a professional photographer so to me the camera handles my needs quite well for those of you who don't think it's professional.....

Aug 02, 2014 at 10:44 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon to Nikon

mineymole wrote:
As to the 135 - I quite like Nikon's 135. My copy is really sharp and produces beautiful images.

Yes they do make nice images and they are sharp but those old D series lenses have lots of purple fringing issues with high contrast subjects. When comparing them with new newer lenses especially the Nikor zooms they are dogs in low light, not unusable but certainly not very efficient,

Aug 02, 2014 at 11:25 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon to Nikon

jamesmorophoto wrote:
actually, the d800 has better dynamic range up to iso 3200....

don't get a DF. it's a novelty item that's seriously lacking in the AF department. It's not a professional level camera.

I'm just going by the DXO DR charts. You can see them here: https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1252274/0

If the charts are wrong so be it.

Either way though, coming from Canon, the DR will blow away the OP.

Aug 02, 2014 at 11:41 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon to Nikon

Considering how bad my 5d3 is in low light (tracking basically never locks during most receptions, One Shot takes forever plus another two days to lock if me or the subject moves more than 1mm), that would mean the Df is pretty bad at low light locking. I would hope that's not the case at all.

Aug 03, 2014 at 10:30 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon to Nikon

mineymole wrote:
I have three DF's coming from Canon 5DIII's. My DF does not struggle any more to focus than my 5DIII did.

Compared to the 5d3 the focus is comparable, compared to the upper-level Nikons the focus isn't very good...

- trr

Aug 03, 2014 at 11:09 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.