Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              11       12       end

New macro shooters Post pics here .

Geert Koning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

When is a photograph a macro photograph? Photographs of butterflies, flowers etc are also nature photographs but I do not see those in nature and wildlife forum. In that forum it is 90% birds and some mammels. Is this macro?

Dec 07, 2014 at 09:59 PM
Habs Fan

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Recently I acquired a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro, the original style non-USM one, and have been learning and its capabilities. With the recent rains in the SF area water droplets and other small subjects make for a great photography experience. Camera used- Canon 1D MkIV.

Comments and feedback welcome, Thanks.
Francois

FSC-141202-9009.jpg by FrancoisClement, on Flickr

FSC-141202-8999.jpg by FrancoisClement, on Flickr

Edited on Jan 24, 2015 at 02:18 AM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2014 at 04:49 PM
jongatmosfera

p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

What's the aperture in these shots?

Dec 12, 2014 at 05:26 AM
Habs Fan

p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Both of the water droplet shots were done at f/5.6.

Dec 12, 2014 at 05:33 AM
4G63
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Praying Mantis by Joey_porma, on Flickr

Jan 23, 2015 at 04:10 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

That's a good result. If you crop off the right quarter it would take out that distracting background diagonal and put the head in about optimal position.

Harold

Jan 23, 2015 at 04:27 PM
ThomasCantwell
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

I was able to get this shot in Panama at night with a reversed 18-55 kit lens and a flash w/ headlamp on it. It was really a lot of fun and I want to do more macro.

Tiny Spider at Alto Chiquero by Thomas Cantwell, on Flickr

I'm not satisfied with that set up though, very inefficient and imprecise. I have a good idea of what I want to do with the flash set up, but I'm not sure what lens to get. Something cheap and relatively light, since it's not my main genre, but also decent quality. I'm looking at the Sigma 50 2.8 macro, but I kind of want something with a tripod mount so I can support my flash in a much more compact and lightweight way. I figure with the 50 I would use one or two extension tubes. Also, I'm not sure how much magnification I really want. What does 2:1 look like, 3:1, etc.?

For info, I currently use a D7000 and only have that kit lens and a Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC. I'm going to get the new 300 f4 VR and a 1.4x tc also.

Jan 24, 2015 at 01:54 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

ThomasCantwell wrote:
I was able to get this shot in Panama at night with a reversed 18-55 kit lens and a flash w/ headlamp on it. It was really a lot of fun and I want to do more macro.

I'm not satisfied with that set up though, very inefficient and imprecise. I have a good idea of what I want to do with the flash set up, but I'm not sure what lens to get. Something cheap and relatively light, since it's not my main genre, but also decent quality. I'm looking at the Sigma 50 2.8 macro, but I kind of
...Show more

I'm not clear as to why you want a tripod mount.

"Two tubes" doesn't tell us much. I have tubes from 7mm to over 30mm, and others which extend to much longer. Magnification = total extension (including any internal in the lens)/focal length.

x3 is about the field in which a blowfly fills the frame. Look around the topics here and see what people use.

I strongly recommend that you first get some practice at x1 or so, before going up the magnifications. apart from anything else, you have to develop stalking skills to get close enough to active subjects.

Harold

Jan 24, 2015 at 06:45 AM
ThomasCantwell
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

e6filmuser wrote:
I'm not clear as to why you want a tripod mount.

"Two tubes" doesn't tell us much. I have tubes from 7mm to over 30mm, and others which extend to much longer. Magnification = total extension (including any internal in the lens)/focal length.

x3 is about the field in which a blowfly fills the frame. Look around the topics here and see what people use.

I strongly recommend that you first get some practice at x1 or so, before going up the magnifications. apart from anything else, you have to develop stalking skills to get close enough to active subjects.

Harold

The tripod mount is just for an easier flash set-up. I would mount a mini ball-head on it and the flash on that. I could also mount the ballhead on the hotshoe, it would just be a little further from my subject. I would get the Kenko set of tubes (12, 24, 36). Getting close is not an issue, as I'll mainly be doing this in the tropics at night, where there's lots of critters. I found with the reversed kit lens, I had to get a bit closer than I was comfortable with for some of the more intimidating insects/ spiders. Looking through images online I think anywhere from 2:1 to 3:1 is what I want. What's the right amount for jumping spiders? The spider in my pic above was ultra tiny, but I don't remember what zoom setting my kit lens was set at.

Jan 24, 2015 at 02:12 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

ThomasCantwell wrote:
The tripod mount is just for an easier flash set-up. I would mount a mini ball-head on it and the flash on that. I could also mount the ballhead on the hotshoe, it would just be a little further from my subject. I would get the Kenko set of tubes (12, 24, 36). Getting close is not an issue, as I'll mainly be doing this in the tropics at night, where there's lots of critters. I found with the reversed kit lens, I had to get a bit closer than I was comfortable with for some of the more intimidating
...Show more

The "mount" left me in doubt. Yes, I use one of those on an L-Bracket and another on a tripod clamp on the lens barrel. By varying the powers/diffusion of two flash guns there is a very flexible set-up. My are remotely controlled via the hotshoe unit. From experience, those mounts take quite a strain and a metal shoe is advisable, if your electronics permit.

It's an unusual twist for the subject to be a potential threat to the photographer but not many of us operate in the tropics.

Jumping spiders are one of the few popular subjects I rarely see but that seems about the correct size range. (The one I did see last year was quite a bit larger but that was an exception). At that magnification, unless your flash is of very short duration, you can get motion blur from camera movement.

Harold

Jan 24, 2015 at 02:23 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ThomasCantwell
• •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Thanks, I'll be using an SB800 or Yongnuo 560 iii so I think it's powerful enough to use at a fast duration. The subjects weren't necessarily threats, but wolf spiders are pretty scary-looking and especially with my finger in the front of the lens operating the aperture lever... no thanks.

Still unsure of what the right lens for me to get is, though. I'd like to keep the viewfinder decently bright so no reversing. Is the Sigma 50 2.8 a good choice? I have some trouble finding many sample pics. And the 300 f4 with the tubes for larger subjects such as wolf spiders and beetles?

Jan 24, 2015 at 03:01 PM
e6filmuser
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

ThomasCantwell wrote:
Thanks, I'll be using an SB800 or Yongnuo 560 iii so I think it's powerful enough to use at a fast duration. The subjects weren't necessarily threats, but wolf spiders are pretty scary-looking and especially with my finger in the front of the lens operating the aperture lever... no thanks.

Still unsure of what the right lens for me to get is, though. I'd like to keep the viewfinder decently bright so no reversing. Is the Sigma 50 2.8 a good choice? I have some trouble finding many sample pics. And the 300 f4 with the tubes for larger subjects
...Show more

I use, almost exclusively legacy manual lenses stopped down and live view, with boost, gives me bright enough screens.

I can't comment on any Sigma lenses but some are very good. However, I think a FL of more like 100mm is preferred by users.

Harold

Jan 24, 2015 at 05:01 PM
Jessika Englan

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Tom Hicks wrote:
For all of those new to the world of macro you can post your pics here if you feel you need critique , advice on tech, or any other question you may have . Please don't be shy , we are all here to help.

Tom

I am new to photography all together and I have always found Macro so interesting and amazing, until FM I didn't think that Macro was possible without a 20k dollar camera, now that I've learned that its possible for someone like me to do great macro work I am very excited. Really amazing images here I am in ahh of how great they are. Here is my contribution, I'm not sure if this is considered macro, but I saw this flower in the drive-thru at Starbucks. I didn't know there was a term for close up photography at the time. I am posting 2 images, let me know which you prefer and what I could do better etc. I am not sensitive so give me the truth. I would love any recommendations on macro lens

Starbucks flower #1

Canon EOS 70D    EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens    200mm    f/7.1    1/400s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 70D    EF-S55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens    200mm    f/7.1    1/400s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 29, 2015 at 05:21 AM
itsallart

p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Brand new to this forum and new to macro but not photography in general. I have a Canon 6d and a Canon EF 100mm macro f2.8 not the L series....I wish...and some extension tubes. I've been playing with my macro lens for a while but still no idea how you get your images so beautifully bright etc. I would like to learn as much as possible The world of macro is so intriguing and fascinating. Please feel free to CC every aspect of my shots. Thank you

Piano key with tassel

Canon EOS 6D    EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens    100mm    f/4.5    1/125s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Inside my freezer

Canon EOS 6D    EF100mm f/2.8 Macro USM lens    100mm    f/18.0    1/160s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 20, 2015 at 09:37 PM
Charlie N
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

dont really consider myself a macro shooter, however started taking macro shots, and enjoying it

Side view of moth by charlie617, on Flickr

7/365 Fern growth by charlie617, on Flickr

11/365 Sunset by charlie617, on Flickr

Feb 21, 2015 at 08:38 PM
xremii

p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Messing with macro this weekend on a plant I had on my window sill that had a bit of sap:

Sap on Passion Fruit Plant , on Flickr

Sap on Passion Fruit Plant , on Flickr

both shot on a600 with minolta 50mm macro 3.5 (minolta adapter to e mount)

I bought this lens a while back but never really played with it. It's definitely neat in good light.

Feb 23, 2015 at 07:37 PM
dannytphoto

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Love that ant picture, terrifyingly real!

Feb 23, 2015 at 08:19 PM
Carl Doghouse

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Hi

New here hoping to learn

I've only started with macro

The first image I took to few images to stack and ended with blurry gaps
But with the second image I took quite a few more and got a better result

I am hoping to get crisper clear pictures in the future

At the moment I'm shooting with the sony A7 and a 50mm macro lens

Thank you
Carl

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:14 PM
aboulenein
• •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

Hello, All - here is my first not-so-terrible attempt at a focus-stacked macro photo. Any and all C&C welcome and actively solicited

Photo was taken using a Canon 7D + 100mm F/2.8 Macro IS lens. I used a Velbon Super Mag slider rail.

Focus-stacked using Photoshop CC.

Thanks!

Canon EOS 7D    EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM lens    100mm    f/2.8    1/8s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Feb 25, 2015 at 06:42 PM
Squirrely Eyed
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · New macro shooters Post pics here .

I would have liked to have gotten the spider in better focus but I had a lot of challenge due to high winds. For some reason every time I want to shoot macro stuff I end up with high winds and unstable objects.

100mm f/8 1/400s

Feb 25, 2015 at 07:16 PM
1       2      

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password