Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland twilight seascape

SLandsman

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland twilight seascape

Recently visited Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland, Canada. Not sure how many here on FM have visited, but if you haven't and have ever had the desire to see The Rock do it! For those that are experienced in the backcountry, there's a 3-5 day hike with no established campsites (i.e., wilderness) that is ranked as one of the most challenging in North America given the navigation challenge the weather (fog) and terrain (dense "tuckamore," which can push you off course) pose. It surely won't be my last time here (I'm living on Prince Edward Island, Canada which isn't far away).

There are a few trails here that have primitive backcountry campsites. This is the view from one of them along the Green Gardens trail. This was one of the best comps I could find in the three days we were in Gros Morne. The weather has been uncharacteristically warm and bringing with it lots of haze. I needed to wait until the sun went down to allow conditions to clear, but as you can see in the very background there was still some haze left (and still some lingering clouds in the top left, which I'm not a huge fan of and didn't see at the time).

This is three exposures blended: base layer (should have focus stacked in hindsight), twilight glow, and stars. Base was f8, 14mm (APS-C), ISO 200, 25 sec; twilight same settings except 5 sec; stars ISO 800, f3.2, 20 sec. C&C welcome. One question that I have for you PS gurus with more experience concerns some of the stars (may be imperceptible viewed on screen) appear red in color. Seems it might have happened when blending the star exposure using the lighten blend mode. Any way to remedy this? It doesn't look too bad, but is a little bothersome to me. I'm considering cloning out all of the worst offenders.

Also, this is only my 2nd post here on FM; I've been a lurker for quite some time now. Love the quality of work and information exchange that I've been seeing. Hope to offer my $0.02 cents as well!

Aug 01, 2014 at 08:35 PM
roguecoolman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland twilight seascape

Very nice photo. Very calm and peaceful feel as I would expect at that hour. I just hear about that park recently from Scott Kroeker as he dreams of moving there . so it's so cool that you posted this. Must be a sign.

Are you sure the red stars are not hot pixels? Do they appear in the raw file?

Jason

Aug 01, 2014 at 09:21 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland twilight seascape

Lovely! Should have been focus stacked? It all looks sharp on my screen.
Gros Morne is definitely on my bucket list!
Dave

Aug 01, 2014 at 10:32 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland twilight seascape

Nice shot. Spent more than a month on "The Rock" in 2006 and loved it. Needed more time to enjoy it all.

Aug 02, 2014 at 08:30 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.