Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Nikon R1C1 on Canon T3i

traveler582

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon R1C1 on Canon T3i

I've mounted my Nikon R1C1 flash to my Canon T3i using a Seagull 'Nikon flash to Canon hotshoe adapter' and attached Nikon SC-30 TTL cables to photograph with Canon's MP-E 65mm f/2.8 lens.

It does fire using Manual mode on the SU-800 speed light Commander, yet it turns off after about 20 seconds and I keep having to turn it on, again and again.

I'm still trying to master this thing, anyone have any suggestions?

That MP-E 65mm has a big learning curve..

Aug 01, 2014 at 06:16 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon R1C1 on Canon T3i

Is there a standby timer setting in the R1C1 / su-800 menus ? I no nothing about the R1C1 or SU (I used an mt24 when I had the mpe) but I'm using Yongnuo yn560's these days on d700 and you can set the time after which it goes into standby mode and more importantly you can turn it off. Uses more battery I presume but it's always ready to take a picture.

Andy

Aug 01, 2014 at 06:51 PM
traveler582

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon R1C1 on Canon T3i

I think you're right, it's just going in standby mode, and it doesn't appear that I can control it.

Thanks!

Aug 01, 2014 at 07:40 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon R1C1 on Canon T3i

Hmmm, I think you are correct. I believe it is because they used the lithium 3V batteries in the SU so it goes into standby mode very quickly unless being used. There is no mention of being able to change the duration in the manual. Does it stay on if you keep half pressing the shutter button say every 10 seconds ? Does it come back on when you fire the shutter ie fire shutter, no flash (but flash wakes up) then fire it again for the flash to work ? That was how my sb800 worked and it annoyed the crap out of me until i figured it out.

Aug 02, 2014 at 12:02 AM
traveler582

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon R1C1 on Canon T3i

Cadman,

You say you used the Canon MT24 EX Macro twin light flash. I have a question, every picture I see of it shows cables attaching the twin flashes to the Control unit, must you use those cables? Isn't it wireless?

The Nikon R1C1 has no cables attaching them. True wireless

Thanks

Aug 04, 2014 at 06:29 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon R1C1 on Canon T3i

No mate, the MT24 isn't wireless. While looking up the info about the R1C1 I found out that it was not only wireless but that you could add more SBR200s to it. Very cool.
Pity Nikon don't do an mpe65 equivalent

On the subject of the SU-800 going into standby mode all the time, can you use on-board flash to trigger the flashes ? or a remote trigger mounted on the hot shoe ?

Aug 04, 2014 at 07:41 PM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.