Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · My pet Red Tailed Hawk

cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · My pet Red Tailed Hawk

Great shot, and glad to hear that the bird has returned to its roots. He/she will probably start nabbing titleists in punishment to the freindly members!

Our course has tons of wildlife as well, but none of them are this friendly which is a good thing. I've been tempted to bring my camera gear instead of my sticks, maybe in the fall.

Aug 02, 2014 at 02:18 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · My pet Red Tailed Hawk

As an ophthalmologist and father I have a duty to remind everyone, "It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye".....
Seriously, this is a wonderful opportunity for those that have had a chance to interact with the hawk. I don't remember whether you mentioned how soon after the bird hatched was it seen, approached and cared for by people. I assume it wasn't immediately as it has learned to hunt and that isn't something even a scratch golfer with lots of experience with eagles can teach this guy ...But I did wonder about imprinting...that usually has to occur very soon after hatching rather than weeks later. I do think many have had experiences with young hawks being much much less skittish than adults and then one day....poof....they acquire adult tendencies and are gone. Enjoy your time with the hawk and as long as its finding food for itself and not chicken nuggets from the halfway house it should be just fine.
Now how about petting the local coyote family....maybe not such a good idea, eh?
By the way, I'm available to caddie tomorrow as long as I don't have to carry a bag, rake traps and can bring my camera (jk of course....)
Eric

Aug 02, 2014 at 02:24 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · My pet Red Tailed Hawk

cohenfive wrote:
Great shot, and glad to hear that the bird has returned to its roots. He/she will probably start nabbing titleists in punishment to the freindly members!

Our course has tons of wildlife as well, but none of them are this friendly which is a good thing. I've been tempted to bring my camera gear instead of my sticks, maybe in the fall.

I think he/she will be fine. There is plenty of critters on the course for hawk snacks.

Al

Aug 02, 2014 at 06:59 PM
Doug Maclean
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · My pet Red Tailed Hawk

Red tails in general seem not to scared of humans.I have been miles into the woods and had them fly on a branch a few feet from my head.They were fine with me and I had to back away to get any shots.I have had them also fly a few feet from me and stalk a mouse without a care about me.Doug M

Aug 02, 2014 at 07:05 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · My pet Red Tailed Hawk

eyelaser wrote:
As an ophthalmologist and father I have a duty to remind everyone, "It's all fun and games till someone loses an eye".....
Seriously, this is a wonderful opportunity for those that have had a chance to interact with the hawk. I don't remember whether you mentioned how soon after the bird hatched was it seen, approached and cared for by people. I assume it wasn't immediately as it has learned to hunt and that isn't something even a scratch golfer with lots of experience with eagles can teach this guy ...But I did wonder about imprinting...that usually has to occur very
...Show more

Eric;
Most of time, I'm on the course in the early morning. The superintendent, Scott is a close friend. I enjoy going out with him when no one is around. It clears my head and I get to see a ton of wildlife. We first saw this hawk out of the nest after it first fledged. At first it was just walking around as if it couldn't fly. We later saw it flying from tree to tree. The members knew enough not to feed it and it always seemed to be hunting. I really think it will be fine.
The coyotes are doing fine. We think there are as many as five. This winter I'm going to spend some time on the course and try to get some coyote shots.
I'll. let you know about the caddying thing. I see some income potential if the ophthalmology think doesn't work out.
BTW. My friend Scott was the head super on the east course at that place Baltusrol. I think you may have heard of it.

Al

Aug 02, 2014 at 07:18 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · My pet Red Tailed Hawk

Doug Maclean wrote:
Red tails in general seem not to scared of humans.I have been miles into the woods and had them fly on a branch a few feet from my head.They were fine with me and I had to back away to get any shots.I have had them also fly a few feet from me and stalk a mouse without a care about me.Doug M

Doug

I agree. They will let you get close. This one however liked being petted. Go figure!

Al

Aug 02, 2014 at 07:49 PM
bs kite
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · My pet Red Tailed Hawk

Cool, real cool

Robert

Aug 15, 2014 at 11:12 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · My pet Red Tailed Hawk

Robert
It was cool, but it was even cooler when the Hawk returned to acting like a wild Bird.

Al

Aug 16, 2014 at 02:51 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · My pet Red Tailed Hawk

Nature is amazing . Very nice shots .

Birdie

Aug 16, 2014 at 03:34 PM
kbarrera
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · My pet Red Tailed Hawk

birdied wrote:
Nature is amazing . Very nice shots .

Birdie

Thanks Birdie

Al

Aug 17, 2014 at 04:46 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · My pet Red Tailed Hawk

Just wait till it starts to talk

Aug 17, 2014 at 07:08 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.