New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Canon 16-35 mmF4L-Slim or regular CP filter

Kohala
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 16-35 mmF4L-Slim or regular CP filter

I know this is an old topic. I searched the Canon forum and could find no mention of it. I just purchased a Canon 16-35f/4.0 IS lens and want to know whether it is preferable to use a slim or regular CP filter. I saw a rancorous discussion on another website and the opinions varied. Also, someone recommended a Nikon 77mm wide CPII filter.

I would appreciate any suggestion concerning with to purchase.

Thanks

Aug 01, 2014 at 12:15 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 16-35 mmF4L-Slim or regular CP filter

Kohala wrote:
I know this is an old topic. I searched the Canon forum and could find no mention of it. I just purchased a Canon 16-35f/4.0 IS lens and want to know whether it is preferable to use a slim or regular CP filter. I saw a rancorous discussion on another website and the opinions varied. Also, someone recommended a Nikon 77mm wide CPII filter.

I would appreciate any suggestion concerning with to purchase.

Thanks

Slim all the way for 16mm. I had the 17-40L and it required slim and I've just replaced it with the 16-35. You can get slim CPL with threaded front ring so a normal lens cap still sits on the filter. Also say you want to put on a Cokin square filter hold and also use an ND, you will definitely get vignetting with a regular filter and might still @ 16mm, but nowhere near as severe.

Just my 2c

Aug 01, 2014 at 01:16 AM
Kohala
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 16-35 mmF4L-Slim or regular CP filter

Thanks for the response. I purchased a B+W 77mm XS-Pro Kaesemann CP filter, which is a slim filter with a threaded front ring.

Aug 01, 2014 at 12:53 PM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 16-35 mmF4L-Slim or regular CP filter

Slim, but also be aware that at very wide angles the effect of a polarizer can sometimes be a bit weird because light varies much more across a wide FoV.

Aug 01, 2014 at 04:36 PM
drewmey
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 16-35 mmF4L-Slim or regular CP filter

Not trying to hijack an old thread. However, I came across this thread while searching for my own questions (didn't want to start a new topic on something that had been answered and this seems close enough to continue the discussion).

Anyway, I just acquired the Canon 16-35 f4. I am guessing slim would be recommended for a 6-stop and 10-stop ND filter as well? I would occasionally use it on the wide end but stopped down for sure. Not sure if there would be vignetting difference from CP to 6 stop ND to 10 stop ND.

Dec 02, 2014 at 01:48 PM
Kohala
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 16-35 mmF4L-Slim or regular CP filter

I recently acquired the Canon 16-35 f4 and am using the filter on the lens.

Sorry.

Dennis (Kohala)

Dec 02, 2014 at 02:17 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 16-35 mmF4L-Slim or regular CP filter

I highly recommend a thin ring filter. I use a 77mm Nikon thin ring CP on my 16-35 f/4L IS and it displays absolutely no vignetting on full frame even at f/22.

Dec 02, 2014 at 05:50 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.