Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Interested in the Nikon D810 DSLR Filmmaker's Kit, thoughts?

TMaG82
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Interested in the Nikon D810 DSLR Filmmaker's Kit, thoughts?

I'm migrating away from my mirrorless camera system and evaluating different DSLR options. I briefly had the D600 when it was released but ended up sending it back because of the oil issue and since then I've been shooting mirrorless. My current camera system is the a7, which I love for the IQ but still has some compromises that I don't want to live with. AF is still not up what I'm looking for, continuous shooting is subpar, and battery life is still lacking. It's small and compact which I like but I felt like I need to carry it around in a camera bag because of the other lenses. At that point if I'm going to carry around a camera bag full of lenses I might as well get something that will meet my needs (as stated above, fast/accurate AF, better battery, etc). Also I have a Ricoh GR which I love for light weight, simple shooting, so the DSLR will be for vacations, planned shooting, etc so a light weight FF kit is not a requirement.

Since I don't have any Nikon lenses I was thinking of getting the D810 Filmmaker's Kit. It has the 35/50/85 which would be a nice starting point in terms of prime lenses. I would most likely sell the external recorder since I don't anticipate ever using it. Everything else I could see being used, the ND filters would be a nice addition, and an extra battery is nice. That would bring the cost down to hopefully $4,500 (figuring that the $700 recorder could be sold for $500). So that would put the 35/50/85 at around $1,200 for the set. I would most likey start there and just slowly build up the holes in my shooting. But are the 1.8's optically up to par with the D810/800 sensor? Or should I go with body only and aim for the 1.4's? I could also start with the 1.8's and slowly upgrade as I see fit.

Jul 31, 2014 at 04:38 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Interested in the Nikon D810 DSLR Filmmaker's Kit, thoughts?

Just looking at the Amazon prices, you are barely saving anything over buying those lenses new.

The 85 is $500, the 35 is $600, and the 50 is $216, for a total of $1356. In other words, you get about $156 for the hassle of selling the recorder.

As far as sharpness, the 50 f/1.8 is usually regarded as as-good-as or better-than the 50 f/1.4. I have one, and it is decently sharp, especially stopped down, but it is not amazing like my Sigma 35 Art.

I've heard that the 85 f/1.8 is very sharp and generally great, but I haven't used it myself.

I've heard that the 35 f/1.8 is decent but not amazing. In that price range, I'd consider a used Sigma 35 Art for about $100 more which, if you can get one without focus issues (and if you don't mind the size/weight), is a wonderful lens.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:35 PM
matthewo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Interested in the Nikon D810 DSLR Filmmaker's Kit, thoughts?

if you are serious about DSLR Filmmaking. which I dont really know if it is your main consern or what percentage it weights into how lens choices. but if you are planing to shoot mostly video and can do with out the autofocus for still (ie not shooting many stills).

I would look into the rokinon cine lens kit. they have clickless aperture which can be very useful. where-as nikon g lenses you cannot even control aperture on the lenes. also the rokinon lenses have well dampened long focus rings. in other words that are much more geared towards video then the cheaper nikon prime lenses

Aug 01, 2014 at 07:38 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Interested in the Nikon D810 DSLR Filmmaker's Kit, thoughts?

TMaG82 wrote:
But are the 1.8's optically up to par with the D810/800 sensor? Or should I go with body only and aim for the 1.4's? I could also start with the 1.8's and slowly upgrade as I see fit.

Nikon's 85's are there, but at 35mm and 50mm Sigma is far closer to taking advantage of the 36MP Exmors. Just keep in mind that the Sigma's are so well corrected that many complain that they lack the 'character' that they're used to.

Aug 01, 2014 at 08:48 AM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Interested in the Nikon D810 DSLR Filmmaker's Kit, thoughts?

I saw that kit when the D810 was announced and was pretty blown away by the cost!!

Instead of tgat kit, i would buy exactly what you need used here at half the cost of new.

I will sometimes "impulse buy" things that are a great deal and make them work, even if they aren't exactly what I planned on buying. Something at 40% off, where I can resell everything later for about what I paid for it.

In this case the savings are pretty small unless it is an **exact** fit for what you need.

Good luck!
Michael

Aug 01, 2014 at 10:21 AM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Interested in the Nikon D810 DSLR Filmmaker's Kit, thoughts?

If filmmaking is your thing, I wouldn't touch those 35/50/85 G's. Instead, I'd look for Manual Focus Nikon Glass, which will give you manual aperture control and smoother, more accurate manual focusing. For that amount of money, you can build up your kit with 20 3.5, 35/2, 50 1.4, 85/2, and 105 2.5 and still have some money left over.

To answer your question about the 1.8G's, yes they are good enough for the D800E/D810 sensor.

Aug 01, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Interested in the Nikon D810 DSLR Filmmaker's Kit, thoughts?

I would get the Sigma f/1.4 equivalents for each of those focal lengths. Better faster lenses for only a little more money. I already use the Sigma 85 and 35 on a D800.

Aug 01, 2014 at 02:04 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Interested in the Nikon D810 DSLR Filmmaker's Kit, thoughts?

matthewo wrote:
I would look into the rokinon cine lens kit. they have clickless aperture which can be very useful. where-as nikon g lenses you cannot even control aperture on the lenes. also the rokinon lenses have well dampened long focus rings. in other words that are much more geared towards video then the cheaper nikon prime lenses

This.

For manual focus and video work, the Rokinon/Samyang cine lenses are really awesome.

Aug 01, 2014 at 02:27 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Interested in the Nikon D810 DSLR Filmmaker's Kit, thoughts?

Thanks for the advice. I'm not seriously into video work, I sold a GH4 because it was overkill for what I was shooting. At first the kit looked good because of the savings, but that's in an ideal world where everything would sell. I think if I decide to go the D810 route I would pick up the body, possibly the 24-120 and a couple of 1.8 primes to get started and see where that takes me before I would leap to the 1.4's. You're right though, a new body and some good used glass from the B&S forums would be much cheaper in the long run.

Aug 01, 2014 at 05:09 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.