Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2014 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

leetmode
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

Bluffer wrote:
So if we had:

1. IR cut mode;

2. True monochrome mode;

3. 14-bit colour mode;

4. Low light mode where the pixels group to form bigger photosites or something so an A7r becomes an A7s.

. . . all in the one sensor!

. . . which can use RF lenses!

Good?

Don't forget:

7. Less than $1,800!

Aug 03, 2014 at 08:38 AM
Bluffer
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

leetmode wrote:
Don't forget:

7. Less than $1,800!

If the AF is the same as the A6000 and perhaps has in-body stabilization I'll go $3000+.

Because now we have a camera that beats all but the biggest fastest DSLR's, beats the rangefinders at their own game and is still near pocket size (if the shake reduction can be done electronically).

Aug 03, 2014 at 08:48 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

I voted no, even though I shoot a lot of b&w. For me, half of the reason I shoot b&w is to use the old lenses. Using modern lenses does not have the same look. Digital always seems to have a "digital" look to it. It's just not what I'm after. I have had two 19th century lenses put into F-mount and I shoot those on my D7100. I like them, but they still don't give quite the look I'm after. I'm not sure I see the point of a monchrome digital camera since it's so easy to simply convert and process.

Kent in SD
FP4 film, 1905 Velostigmat, 1905 Century No.46 (4x5):

Canadian Pacific SD-40, Huron SD

Aug 03, 2014 at 09:51 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

Two23 wrote:
I voted no, even though I shoot a lot of b&w. For me, half of the reason I shoot b&w is to use the old lenses. Using modern lenses does not have the same look. Digital always seems to have a "digital" look to it. It's just not what I'm after. I have had two 19th century lenses put into F-mount and I shoot those on my D7100. I like them, but they still don't give quite the look I'm after.

you're aware that many people here would use old lenses on this, right?

i'm not surprised that your 19th century lenses don't give the same look on your d7100, they weren't designed for an aps-c sensor.

there are lots of mid 20th century lenses designed for 35mm film that give a unique look on FF digital cameras that is nearly identical to the look they had 35mm film.

Aug 03, 2014 at 10:07 AM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

I'll buy it in a heart beat, the minset for using one is a truly unique experience, having owned the leica MM in the past, it was the best camera I have ever owned because it made me think in B and W not color to B and W

It's very important that your shooting style changes to B and W, not just your PP skills

Yes Silver FX pro, etc..... exist but it is total different scenario when taking into account how you shoot as well, it's fun! At least for me

Aug 03, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Bluffer
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

jojomon11 wrote:
I'll buy it in a heart beat, the minset for using one is a truly unique experience, having owned the leica MM in the past, it was the best camera I have ever owned because it made me think in B and W not color to B and W

It's very important that your shooting style changes to B and W, not just your PP skills

Yes Silver FX pro, etc..... exist but it is total different scenario when taking into account how you shoot as well, it's fun! At least for me

This is my take on it. Thinking in black and white. Ideally, sometime this century, it would be great to have an A7/r/s/m/A6000 all combined into one.

Aug 03, 2014 at 10:46 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

jojomon11 wrote:

for thinking in b&w i find that setting my mirrorless camera to b&w jpegs and LR to automatically apply my standard b&w raw conversion on import works as good or better than shooting with b&w film in a camera did.

just takes a tiny bit of discipline.

Aug 03, 2014 at 10:50 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

I only fancy a true "M" shooting sony FF of A7 size or preferably smaller. I.E. one that shoots M glass well.

Or maybe they should just call it the "L" for legacy.

make it tougher and simpler and lighter. For this version, who needs AF at all?

Main thing: cut the sensor cover thickness from the current 1.7mm to .6 or so, and adjust auto WB accordingly.

It just kills me how easy this would be for sony, what an impact it would have, and how very unlikely it is to happen.

Zeiss should step up and give us a digital body for their zm line--I doubt sony would object, since they would be selling the sensors in raw form.

I like the enthusiasm of MM owners, and I see many gorgeous shots from the MM, and I don't even think it's that overpriced when you look at say...mountain bikes.

But for my own shooting B&W is a last resort, so I'd not be buying the sony monochrome.

Aug 03, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

Would buy it, if..

36 mpix at least
true 16-bit output (puny 14-bits? hah.. if it at least had those 14-bits in color mode)
no filters at all

Thats pretty much it. Tho I think for example RX1 is better handled as camera than is A7. A7x are bit awkward in look and use.

Aug 03, 2014 at 01:31 PM
Bluffer
• •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

Mescalamba wrote:
Would buy it, if..

36 mpix at least
true 16-bit output (puny 14-bits? hah.. if it at least had those 14-bits in color mode)
no filters at all

Thats pretty much it. Tho I think for example RX1 is better handled as camera than is A7. A7x are bit awkward in look and use.

It's only the front control wheel which is a poor design on the A7 cameras. It needs to be vertical rather than horizontal. I thought I was going to hate the A7 ergonomics being a Pentax K-3 shooter (which is the finest ever camera with regard to ergonomics), but no. Apart from the front wheel I love it!!!

Aug 03, 2014 at 01:49 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

The C2 button is also atrocious, and there are manual controls missing for ISO (like X-T1, not the too-easy-to-change wheel), Format (see Nikon), and some other niggles. The X-T1 is pretty much perfect for control layout, save the missing Format without menu diving.

Aug 03, 2014 at 01:52 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

This is certainly a subjective matter, but on the a7/a7R, I abhorred the very light to the touch feel of the rear control dial and that it also combined the function of a 4-way rocker switch. I found I had to pay extra attention while turning it to ensure I reached the desired endpoint and without accidentally pressing too hard to activate one of the rocker positions. Naturally, this distracted from concentrating on what I was photographing. Wearing thin gloves made this an even more delicate matter. More than once I found myself having changed a setting without realizing it, then wondering how to get out of it (due to some unfamiliarity with the camera at the time). Also, the shutter release would have been much more comfortably positioned above the grip extension rather than on the top plate of the camera... Sorry for rehashing pet peeves that others may have read too often already.

Aug 03, 2014 at 01:59 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

carstenw wrote:
The C2 button is also atrocious, and there are manual controls missing for ISO (like X-T1, not the too-easy-to-change wheel), Format (see Nikon), and some other niggles. The X-T1 is pretty much perfect for control layout, save the missing Format without menu diving.

all those are true, but i find similar but different niggles with everybody else too (nikon and pentax included). it's only the flaccid shutter that really bugs me about the a7.

Aug 03, 2014 at 02:01 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

Yes using color and importing to B and W and using sliders is another great way to do B and W. I tried this at a recent paid event and it did the job, they wanted 90% plus to be in B and W, I can see in a fast moving event where any AF camera would be pretty good. They loved them, but to my style and eye, I def. did not prefer it over shooting pure B and W. Maybe I just hate to PP from color to B and W

I think it's pretty obvious which is from a MM and which is from a dslr below....

Again just my style and preference, and it is not changing , come on Sony A7m!!!!!!

Aug 03, 2014 at 02:42 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

jojomon11 wrote:
Yes using color and importing to B and W and using sliders is another great way to do B and W. I tried this at a recent paid event and it did the job, they wanted 90% plus to be in B and W, I can see in a fast moving event where any AF camera would be pretty good. They loved them, but to my style and eye, I def. did not prefer it over shooting pure B and W. Maybe I just hate to PP from color to B and W

I think it's pretty obvious which if
...Show more

i have b&w presets that i'm happy with and i never see the color files so it doesn't feel like processing color files. i start with a b&w file and i process it further in b&w. it's just like b&w film scans except i have a lot more file latitude. i really do like having the b&w evf too.

Aug 03, 2014 at 02:52 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

sebboh wrote:
all those are true, but i find similar but different niggles with everybody else too (nikon and pentax included). it's only the flaccid shutter that really bugs me about the a7.

Have you tried the X-T1? I spent some time playing with one today, and was surprised how great the controls were.

Aug 03, 2014 at 03:17 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

carstenw wrote:
Have you tried the X-T1? I spent some time playing with one today, and was surprised how great the controls were.

no, just the x-e series. i've kinda lost interest in aps-c mirrorless cameras since i can get FF ones now. the addition of an iso dial doesn't do much for me. are there any other substantive ergonomic improvements other than the evf?

Aug 03, 2014 at 03:47 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · I fancy an A7m (monochrome). Do you?

Everything is just right with that camera, all the manual controls, for those who appreciate them, a button for zooming to 100% for focusing, easy (button) switching between the full EVF and the split EVF, and the location of everything is just right. It is amazing how small differences can add up. No need for the menu, after the initial setup, other than formatting cards.

I am also not going to APS-C, because the lenses I like most are FF, but if I were, that would be the camera, and I truly hope that Sony engineers take a look at how that camera was done before making the A8/9, so that they can get the ergonomics right next time. I put up with the A7, and like it, but it could be so much better.

Aug 03, 2014 at 04:01 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.