New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Eclipse for lenses

edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Eclipse for lenses

Did anyone try to use eclipse liquid to clean finger prints off lenses? If it's safe for sensors, it should be ok for lenses too, right? Just curious.

Jul 31, 2014 at 08:14 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Eclipse for lenses

I almost use Eclipse exclusively, with Pec pads being the other part of the process, just make sure your fingers are free of oils, and I believe Eclipse was designed for optics and not sensors.

Jul 31, 2014 at 08:26 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Eclipse for lenses

Thank you Lightshow for your reply. That sounds reassuring.

Jul 31, 2014 at 08:35 AM
johnahill
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Eclipse for lenses

Yes, I've used eclipse with pec-pads but most of the time now use a lenspen or micro-fibre cloth.

Used to use a solution called opticlean which was a sort of sticky solution that you 'painted' onto the lens surface, waited for the solution to cure then attached a little sticky label to the edge of the lens to peel off the solution, neat stuff but needed practice to paint on without getting on the lens surround.

Jul 31, 2014 at 08:44 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Eclipse for lenses

Yup, multiple times. Have to be honest, I use medical alcohol to clean them too, wife brings it back from work, cleans my lenses and my pipes.

Jul 31, 2014 at 09:03 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Eclipse for lenses

Thank you John and Beni. The reason behind my question is actually because my lens cleaning solution (Zeiss) leaves some kind of iridescent layer that is very difficult to polish off. I assume eclipse, being pure alcohol, should leave no residue of any kind.

Jul 31, 2014 at 09:25 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Eclipse for lenses

That assumption would be correct....if it is pure methanol.

Jul 31, 2014 at 09:50 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Eclipse for lenses

galenapass wrote:
That assumption would be correct....if it is pure methanol.

That's what it is believed to be.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Beni
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Eclipse for lenses

Heck if it did leave any residue it would be worse on your sensor than on your lens.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:18 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Eclipse for lenses

Beni wrote:
Heck if it did leave any residue it would be worse on your sensor than on your lens.

Exactly!

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:25 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Eclipse for lenses

I rarely have to use cleaning fluid on lenses but when I do, I also use Zeiss. I haven't noticed any residue but perhaps I should look closer. I spray a very tiny amount on a microfibre cloth and gently clean the element.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:38 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Eclipse for lenses

johnahill wrote:
Yes, I've used eclipse with pec-pads but most of the time now use a lenspen or micro-fibre cloth.

I'm not a big fan of a lens pen unless you use a new pen every time you clean, the risk of scratching your lens goes up every time you use that same pen, I use a new pec pad for every lens, and more if it's really dirty, especially new lenses that have a layer of dust on them.

Oils from your finger will be sucked into the Eclipse solution, and leave a residue, so it's critical your hands are clean, nitrile gloves or nitrile finger protecters will also do the job.

ROR (Risudual Oil Remover) is good at removing oil from a lens(don't use it on a sensor) which is followed with Eclipse.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:51 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Eclipse for lenses

Gary Clennan wrote:
I rarely have to use cleaning fluid on lenses but when I do, I also use Zeiss. I haven't noticed any residue but perhaps I should look closer. I spray a very tiny amount on a microfibre cloth and gently clean the element.

I think it's the way it reacts with T* coatings. I haven't seen this happen with non Zeiss lenses.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Eclipse for lenses

Very well could be as I have yet to use it on my ZM lenses....

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:04 PM
buggz2k
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Eclipse for lenses

I have tried repeatedly to like Pec-pads.
I don't like them.
They do not absorb, at all.
All they do is smear the solution around.
I use a micro fiber cloth.

Aug 01, 2014 at 11:33 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Eclipse for lenses

Agreed about the pec-pads. I too prefer a microfiber cloth.

buggz2k wrote:
I have tried repeatedly to like Pec-pads.
I don't like them.
They do not absorb, at all.
All they do is smear the solution around.
I use a micro fiber cloth.

Aug 01, 2014 at 12:47 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Eclipse for lenses

If you keep the micro fibre cloth clean it should do just fine, I use one when out in the field.

Aug 01, 2014 at 05:53 PM
kururu
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Eclipse for lenses

I use "clarity clean it" from nanofilm for all of my zeiss, nikon lenses and camera sensor since 2010.
Some, if not all, zeiss cleaning fluid also made by nanofilm.

Aug 01, 2014 at 11:17 PM
kwalsh
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Eclipse for lenses

LightShow wrote:
I'm not a big fan of a lens pen unless you use a new pen every time you clean, the risk of scratching your lens goes up every time you use that same pen

So you are suppose to use air and the brush first to remove particulates. The pen tip is only for removing oils and films and there really shouldn't be significant particles on the lens when you use it. But yes there is a chance the tip could pick something up the air and the brush did not remove.

Lens Rentals cleans more optics than anyone on this board. They use Lens Pens in preference to ROR/Eclipse for routine cleaning of lens elements. They also say they aren't a cure all and that you can wear them out and need to pay attention to their condition. But I'm pretty comfortable with a Lens Pen despite have unused ROR, Eclipse and PEC pads laying right next to the pen.

Aug 02, 2014 at 09:29 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.