Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · large wedding party... wow.

sean4230
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · large wedding party... wow.

i have a wedding this sunday and the wedding party has b/g + 13 on each side!!! i've done my fair share of weddings, and had some challenging situations; this, however, is uncharted territory for me! the weather looks favorable, so we'll be outside a lot (thankfully).

does anybody have a good strategy for a wedding party this big? i've done big groups, but this is different. outside of suggesting pinterest/flickr/interwebs, etc. what are your thoughts? any and all opinions are welcome!

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:29 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · large wedding party... wow.

Draw straws for top 6 on each side, ignore the rest.

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:31 PM
thebeginning
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · large wedding party... wow.

On a serious note - I've had a few in the 8-10 range, and usually it's the same as normal, just with more time dedicated to getting bridal party photos. You'll have to stack them with the tall ones in the back or go with something more artsy, as you can't really put them all in a line for a 'normal' photo.

I've found that pairing guys and girls together makes it much easier to pose large groups as well, as the size difference between the guys and girls becomes really apparent when you split them apart on each side.

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:33 PM
sean4230
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · large wedding party... wow.

i like it.

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:33 PM
sean4230
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · large wedding party... wow.

yeah, pairing up makes it easier. i'll be avoiding the "tall people in back", or "guys on this side, gals on the other" routines, at all costs. the bride has set aside quite a bit of time for photos, so hopefully the group is as fun as she says they are!

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:47 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · large wedding party... wow.

We just did a wedding where their were 14 on one side and 13 on the other plus the bride and groom plus 3 flower girls plus 2 ring bearers plus 2 little kid handlers.

It was a certified mess x100. The bride at one point bitched the whole wedding party out because they were being obnoxious.

My advice. Just roll with whatever and use simple setups. I respect anyone who does ultra posed group shots. If you have the time and patience then go ahead but I just don't. Jackie also had a list with everyones name and she would do a roll call before each setup in each different location just so we made sure everyone was there and no one was lost.
The group photos are ok enough. Nothing life changing.

We also try to manage expectations ahead of time with the bride and groom in terms of what we will actually be able to accomplish.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:06 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · large wedding party... wow.

I have done several weddings with 12+12 plus up to 6 kids but 13 aside is a new one.
Why not get a football and start a game? They have more than enough for 2 teams!

The real fun part with bridal partys this size it at the reception.
The ones I did had the couple and the wedding party running across the elevated main table, down onto the dance floor along the side and then for good measure ( or extra stupidity,) had the parents, grandparents and god parents all next to each other on the " Table" that ran 1/4 way down the dance floor like a giant horse shoe.

Ya! One of the stupidest things I have ever seen.
The kids were given the most sensible spot, another table in front of the B&G on the normal main table.

I think people have more Dollars than Sense to have bridal parties like this. It's a Logistical nightmare transport wise and even getting everyone in and out of the cars seems to take forever when you get anywhere.

Hope I never have to do another one this size.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:17 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · large wedding party... wow.

Damn, that's a big ass wedding party. Personally, I would go for 2 tiers using chairs or benches, with some people standing and some seated. I try to pair whenever possible, putting each pair in a different pose. If there are married couples in the group, I'll put them together because they have no problem touching each other. With a group that big, it's going to be like herding cats. Hopefully you'll have enough time to wrangle them together quickly and fire off a few shots.

Jul 31, 2014 at 09:45 AM
sean4230
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · large wedding party... wow.

thanks for the input guys! i'm expecting it to be a mess. the group photos will be at her parents house, with a lot of open space. we're starting photos fairly early, so people shouldn't have too much time to drink! it'll be fine, just a bit out of my comfort zone.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:34 AM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · large wedding party... wow.

Pray?

Or hire a good second shooter, split up the bride/bridesmaid and groom/groomsmen pairings and then just grab all of the lot together and bang a few out.

As long as there's room and a bit of time, you're golden.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:02 AM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · large wedding party... wow.

Be happy you have been forewarned. Second shooting a weeding last year ( first and only time with this primary) when it was time for the formals I asked the primary about what lighting he planned on using, he said just the on camera speed light. I thought, OK it's your shoot. Then when they all piled onto the stage he says go ahead ans shoot it.

What!!!!!! You want a second you have never worked with to shoot the must have formals!!!

I would highly recommend additional OC flash. As for the posing....you guys are much better than I am.

I did what I could:

Sam
[url=http://www.samlinvillephotography.com/Galleries/Weddings/Weddings/i-hFRm57P/A]

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · large wedding party... wow.

hardlyboring wroteThe bride at one point bitched the whole wedding party out because they were being obnoxious

...and now you know what you're in for if the album isn't absolutely perfect.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:29 PM
david1234
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · large wedding party... wow.

This was an old shot of a big group i shot, honestly it was hard working with so many people, especially when you dont know any of them.

My word of advice would be, pair them, keep it simple unless you have a huge landscape and objects to get them all on.
This wedding had no tree cover that was assessable to us, so I had to stick them in a field (would shoot it differently today) but it worked I suppose.
http://f.cl.ly/items/3k11343y361L3d0C3t2u/313470_2431404067480_1748098487_n.jpg

Jul 31, 2014 at 02:04 PM
carriedaway
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · large wedding party... wow.

I would try to learn one or two of each groomsmen and bridesmaids, so then you can keep referring to them when trying to position everyone. ie: Girl next to Katie, move forward; guy two over from Mike, turn in. Or whatever. I'm terrible with names, so I find it's easier to pick out a few to learn.

Jul 31, 2014 at 02:38 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · large wedding party... wow.

My record is back from my early days. 16 on each side plus 6 ushers, 2 junior brides, 4 flower girls and ringbearers. I did not know enough back them to realize how over the top it was.

At least it was a symmetrical number.

Jul 31, 2014 at 03:49 PM
lilyphoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · large wedding party... wow.

We did a wedding a few years ago where there were 33 or 34 total including the bride and groom. Everything took longer but other than that it wasn't that big of a deal. Mixing the girls in with the guys and having them stand slightly in front of the guys rather than next to is a huge saver of space. We also used a deck and had the guys stand on the upper level and the girls stand on the grass directly beneath..it worked out really well. The photos of just the bride and her girls and the groom and his guys weren't any big deal.. I didn't do those any differently than normal.

Jul 31, 2014 at 04:25 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · large wedding party... wow.

Oh man, I was at a Bengali wedding yesterday, well rather, Gaye Holud (the first of five days), and there were 24 attendees (sort of the equivalent of bridesmaids) on the bride's side.

Sorta thankfully, they hired someone else. But I think he wished he had a 14-24 instead of his Tammy 24-70.

Aug 01, 2014 at 01:10 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.