Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Tips for Open Houses and Bridal Shows?

thebeginning
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tips for Open Houses and Bridal Shows?

I've never really pursued the bridal show crowds, mostly due to laziness, but partially because I didn't feel like putting myself right in the middle of my competition.

That being said, I was just offered a [free] spot in a new venue's upcoming open house, and am trying to prepare. There will only be 1-2 other photographers, and probably 40-50 brides coming.

The kickers:

A) The show is in three days (not enough time to order any major products/pamphlets)

B) I will get a small table, nothing fancy

C) I only have one small book to show, business cards, a few larger prints, an ipad, and a mac book pro for slideshows. I do not have any type of banner/studio sign.

The questions:

A) Should I bother with some type of pricing pamphlet to pass out?

B) What approach or follow up plan have you found is most effective in getting bookings (these will mostly be mid-range brides)?

I'll wing it if I have to, as I love talking with brides and am quite comfortable with meeting new people. Regardless, I would love some insight!

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:23 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tips for Open Houses and Bridal Shows?

40 -50 brides? Never heard of a show so small. Certainly would throw a lot of my strategies out the window. Then again, the most successful show I ever did was also the smallest one. Was the cheapest, shortest, most amateurish organised event ever and yeilded me the most bookings for the over all investment and numbers of show goers than any other to this day.

I wouldn't have pricing pamphlet per se. I don't have anything with prices and never have. I don't even have a price list for myself. Every wedding is different so I price each wedding different. I take into account things like where the wedding is for travel time, how long they want me, size of the gig, what the couple want in the way of albums, enlargements, pain in the arse factor of the job etc.

That aside, putting prices on things just allows potential clients to price shop and base the decision on what they get for how much without seeing what they actually get or giving you the chance to show them in a proper presentation. People buy the person, product and price in that order so you need to properly show them the first 2 things before the 3rd.

I would suggest having someting like " Wedding coverages from $2000" or whatever your base rate is. If you put nothing, they think " He must charge $200K thats why he dosen't want to tell us".

When people ring and ask the standard question " How much do you charge for a wedding" I say " I don't have set prices, let me just ask you a few questions about your day and what you want so I can give you an estimate, Firstly, where is your wedding ceremony and whewre are you having the reception?" I ask every damn question I can, not because I'm particularly interested in what colour the bridesmaids dresses are or it makes any difference to me, I'm just building rapport and sounding a lot more into their wedding that any other vulture they are talking about.

30-45 min later when we are now talking like old friends and I have got right inside their heads and probably either asked or got a good idea of the budget they are likley to have, I'll say From what you have told me and what you are looking for, your investment in your photso with me would be around $XXXXX. IS that within the budget you were looking at? .... Knowing damn well it is because most times I have already found that out BUT, I added at least $500 to that number.
IF they have an unrealistic figure in mind, I have found out and addressed that 5-10 min into the conversation. Most of the people I get are pretty realistic and in my ball park.

From then Iget them to come into the studio and go over things again and to discuss options, show them more samples etc. I never have any trouble getting them in unless they want to pay the deposit straight off and then come in a a later date which I get pretty regularly particularly if they are a referal or saw me at a show.

I would pass something out but don't mention, let alone focus on price. Put on some killer pics and a booking Special with a cut off date.
"Book before then to get a free wall enlargement" The rest of it should be about how you can fulfill what they want, are flexible and have the word You and your in it at least 10 times more than I and we.

For the numbers you are talking about, 3 days is loads of time to put something nice together in PS, get some maybe double sided photo paper and print off 100.

B) What approach or follow up plan have you found is most effective in getting bookings (these will mostly be mid-range brides)?

Run a competition and get the people to fill out an entry form.
I go for glamour shoots because they don't mean I have to discount the wedding coverage and if they come to me for that I have built enough rapport 10 times over to get the wedding. You could do an engagement or family or whatever portrait.

Have a form they fill in with their info you can follow up on. 1 winner, everyone else is a runner up.

You contact them ( for so few I'd definately do it by phone) tell them they won the runners up prize of whatever and go from there. Ask if they have booked a shooter yet, and if not tell them you can show them what you do when they come in for their portrait shoot or when they come to see their pics.

You can also use the data base from these entry forms for other things like say glamour portrait specials for christmas and valentines day and send them out 3 years after the date for baby portrait specials!

I'll wing it if I have to, as I love talking with brides and am quite comfortable with meeting new people.

What's the most effective way of getting bookings? THIS ^^^^^^
Be a people person. Ask lots about them. Forget about telling them all about what you do and how great you are and cheap your prices. Just talk about them and their day. They will be plenty interested in you and your product when they conclude what I nice guy you are and see you getting excited about THEIR day.

If you can and have the space, I'd substiture the computer monitor for a 40"+ TV and do a slide show with music. That gets more senses going and creates more emotional involvement. I use pro show and you can throw a bunch of pics at it, tell it to fit everything to fit the music and do random transitions and effects and you are 90% done. A few tweaks here and there and you can knock out a show in 15 min flat that will bring a tear to the eye or a smile to the face, whatever emotion you are after.

If you are in a booth type thing or have a background to hang your pics, cover the walls with fabric. Do not have the carpet or whatever the same as everyone else showing. ALso cover the table. If you have room, have a bowl of wrapped sweets on the table as well. If there is anywhere to hang or mount lights, Light up where you are like an airport runway.
These make you look professional and attract a lot of attention to your stand.

Good luck with it.

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:12 AM
NYstyles
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tips for Open Houses and Bridal Shows?

I dont bring anything with pricing. I also brought a collection of all my work as I do portraits and boudoir. I did not book one wedding from the show I did! Dropped a nice chunk of cash for it as well... Its a Huge show in my area but its filled with brides wanting the free stuff and rock bottom deals. Im priced high for that base of people even though I sit mid range on pricing for my area...

That said shows work well for some, and hey its free so go for it. It is an opportunity to mingle and connect with real brides. I did have fun doing the show in the hanging out and talking to people aspect.

One thing, make your display pimp. Less is more. So many vendors at the show I did the display was cluttered, wrinkled table cloths, wires hanging out, etc. I personally didnt connect with the messy vendors... I dont want to recommend someone with wrinkled table cloths and messy display! lol It made me not want to reach out and meet them, it tells me they dont pay enough attention to detail...

Jul 31, 2014 at 06:54 AM
jefferies1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tips for Open Houses and Bridal Shows?

I feel at most events the brides can't keep up with all they see. A pamphlet gets lost with all the stuff they pick up. I would try to collect emails and send out your philosophy and style shooting weddings in a email.need to get attention first and have the bride make a connection to what she sees before hitting them with money. Have at least one other person there to talk about you to brides. Half will have a photographer and not care to look, half of those will have a 'friend' do the photos so concentrate on the few that want to learn more. If you are tied up then they might not remember to stop back. At least your help can fill them in until you get free.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Chris Fawkes
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tips for Open Houses and Bridal Shows?

Forget having too much of a display. Run a competition for couples to win something like an engagement session then have some giveaway that you use to offer those walking past as an ice breaker. I have a friend who uses little bags of candy. Use your space for entry forms and for the giveaways.

Take a ton of pens, people will take them.

Officemax should be able to print entry forms and pad them in a day.

The goal is not to book anyone on the day but to get a list of names you can follow up for an appointment with later. As most photographers don't do this or don't follow up all the leads you will find you book a good percentage of those you meet with later. I like Jeffries post but calling will be more effective than emailing. doing both would not hurt but entice them to spend time with you. Once people like you it is hard to go with someone they don't know.

A friend of mine was in a similar situation in 09. She had no product to speak of so was pretty intimidated. The photographer two stalls over had 20 of the largest wedding albums I have ever seen. Anyway my friend booked 20 weddings from that show after shooting 25 e sessions with most spending close to $1000 of pics from the engagement session as well.

It means more work following up leads but if you need the work then it is cheaper than throwing cash at advertising and hoping for a call.

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:10 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.