New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Going to Southeast Utah in late Sept. looking for assistance

ckcarr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Going to Southeast Utah in late Sept. looking for assistance

Time of day is as important at almost any ruin as a natural landscape.

Aug 30, 2014 at 12:00 PM
gordon l
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Going to Southeast Utah in late Sept. looking for assistance

stanparker wrote:
I hear you, but after many visits out there, months at a time, this is what I would strongly recommend: Spend your entire trip in Moab. More to do/see than you can imagine and the time saved by not driving can be put to good use. In Arches, do Delicate Arch, Double O (and all those along the trail or not far off it) and Dark Angel, Windows Section, Park Avenue, etc. Other arches are also worthwhile. Remember, it may take more than one trip to Delicate Arch or Balanced Rock to get that great sunset.

In Island In The Sky:
...Show more

All great suggestions here and many of the same things I've been researching for my trip next month.

Aug 31, 2014 at 11:46 AM
johnsarra
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Going to Southeast Utah in late Sept. looking for assistance

Not far from Mexican Hat, driving the Moki (Mokee, Mokey) Dugway should be on anyone's bucket list. http://bluffutah.org/mokey-dugway-muley-point/

+1 However, not a good idea to try for the first time after dark!

Although most of the Dugway is gravel, the switchback turns are now paved (sort of).

There is a good vantage point of the rest of the Dugway (with parking space) at the first switchback beyond the first (maintained) turnout on the way down.

Also watch out for cattle west and south of Blanding where you see the Open Range signs, especially if traveling at night. [No cattle on the Dugway, however]

Edited on Aug 31, 2014 at 07:43 PM · View previous versions

Aug 31, 2014 at 07:25 PM
johnsarra
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Going to Southeast Utah in late Sept. looking for assistance

In between Blanding and MV, I'd recommend the short hike to House on Fire. It's not a sunrise or sunset location, so it is easier to build into an itinerary. IIRC, it's about a 30-40 minute easy hike in.

This time of year, HOF is a mid-morning shot as the sun will reflect off the opposite wall on to the ruin and overhang. Later in the day, the sun may shine directly on the ruin, possibly ruining (pun intended) the fire effect. As you are hiking upstream, there will be a small cairn marking the trail up to the overhang the HOF is under. Shoot several different exposure values and choose the effect you like best and/or adjust in post. No need for a filter to achieve the red-yellow fire effect.

John

Aug 31, 2014 at 07:41 PM
Bob Altic
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Going to Southeast Utah in late Sept. looking for assistance

Hi Greg,
I can second everything said so far. A group of us long distance motorcycle riders did your route in 8 days last summer. Travel with a trailer and carry all my photo gear safely. Best way to combine two of my favorite hobbies. Dead Horse is great for dark photography, and NB is in the middle of nowhere!! Definitely do Moki Dugway!! Did Monument Valley as a photographer's tour, worth every penny. Had a thunderstorm in the evening (missed the sunset), and the guide did a sunrise the next day, outstanding. You could spend a lifetime in the southwest taking photos and barely scratch the surface. Had a great trip....Best, Bob

Sep 09, 2014 at 08:54 AM
subgenius
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Going to Southeast Utah in late Sept. looking for assistance

Don't know whether anyone has mentioned it but you may want to consider spending 2 days in Monument Valley.

Sep 20, 2014 at 07:59 PM
domino1

p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Going to Southeast Utah in late Sept. looking for assistance

I actually did consider the 2 days in MV but I think I will have enough time as it is as i plan on getting ther mid day and will have the late day and early morning shoot the next day. depending on how things go i may stick around to enjoy the pace before heading back North. I appreciate all the suggestions passed on in this tread and I how to be able to post some images worthy of this forum. I will be getting there this Tuesday hoping for some nice partly cloudy skys or even some thunderstorms to roll in during my week there.

thanks,

Greg

Sep 21, 2014 at 08:37 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Going to Southeast Utah in late Sept. looking for assistance

stanparker wrote:
I hear you, but after many visits out there, months at a time, this is what I would strongly recommend: Spend your entire trip in Moab. More to do/see than you can imagine and the time saved by not driving can be put to good use. In Arches, do Delicate Arch, Double O (and all those along the trail or not far off it) and Dark Angel, Windows Section, Park Avenue, etc. Other arches are also worthwhile. Remember, it may take more than one trip to Delicate Arch or Balanced Rock to get that great sunset.

In Island In The Sky:
...Show more

This is good advice.

Sep 21, 2014 at 09:37 PM
       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.