Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · What do I need to assemble a macro set up? (micro four thirds)

t3nchi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What do I need to assemble a macro set up? (micro four thirds)

Got an OMD E-M10. Got my macro 60 mm. A third party flash is on the way. I will make my own diffuser.

Can I just put my flash on the hotshoe, attach a diffuser, and I'm good to go? I see some ppl with hotshoe extensions but my question is, what do you sit the flash on? I don't know what those things are called.

Jul 30, 2014 at 01:41 PM
12monkeys
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What do I need to assemble a macro set up? (micro four thirds)

Flash brackets.

For a macro set-up, you need a camera and a lens. If you're going down the flash route, I'm not sure you'd gain much by using a bracket on your camera/lens combi. With large SLRs and longer macro lenses, you use a flash bracket to bring the flash closer to the subject so that you can shorten the duration of the flash, giving you a higher effective shutter speed (for example, if you half the distance, you only need the shutter open for a quarter of the time). I don't think you could get the flash much closer without it overtaking the lens, certainly not with a diffuser on.

Jul 30, 2014 at 01:57 PM
t3nchi
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What do I need to assemble a macro set up? (micro four thirds)

Thanks!

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:45 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What do I need to assemble a macro set up? (micro four thirds)

A lot of excellent images here are produced with a diffused flash on the hot shoe. The best are where the diffuser reaches over the subject and acts much like the sky on a bright overcast day.

I find I get best results with a softbox but is is cumbersome and intimidating to the subjects.

With my E-M1 I am now using the pop-up flash which came with the camera as a radio trigger for two other system units.

One is out to the left side, on an L-bracket. Until it broke, I was using a little tilt flash shoe between the bracket and the gun. I then swung the bracket in towards the midline for very close shots. I now have a small shoe with a built-in ball swivel, so that the L-bracket can remain parallel with the camera, maintaining a more secure grip. (The hand grip on the L-bracket gives a useful alternative means of supporting the setup).

The other flash gun is on another small, ball swivel bracket, in turn mounted on a circular bracket meant to clamp a lens to a tripod, in this case clamping the flash to the lens barrel.

I am still trying to get the light output balanced between the two guns.

The biggest problem is that the pop-up flash pops down again at the slightest touch and then no flash fires.

The above works TTL with the camera in manual mode with a high sychro shutter speed (at least 1/160) and the flash in fill mode.

Harold

Jul 31, 2014 at 02:15 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.