Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

I use soft cases for flying with gears, and I prefer bags that don't look like "photo bags". I stopped using roller bags because you usually have to gate-check them on the small regional jets that I often use. This after I found the 'perfect' carbon fibre roll-on bag, a few years ago.

I just returned from Utah last night with an X100s, a pair of 6D and the three f/2.8 Mk II zooms as carry-on, plus Mk III Extenders and some small primes in my checked luggage (24/2.8 IS, 40/2.8, 85/1.8). For this trip, I used a North Face Recon II day-pack [carry-on bag] and MEC courier bag ["personal items" bag]. For more gears or situations that I will "shoot from the bag", I would use my TT Airport Commuter and the MEC shoulder bag. These combinations are OK for any flights within North America and to/from Europe, but many other regions allow only one carry-on (and sometimes a relatively small one, at that).

Acceptable carry-on dimensions and max. weights vary quite a lot between different airlines. "Vacation charter" flights are especially restrictive. It's usually easy to find this data on the airline web sites. In North America, I try to ensure that I have a max. weight of 20 kg (44 lb) between the two bags, including the bags themselves and any other carry-on stuff. I often overload the backpack, but have sufficient reserve weight in the shoulder bag to "even them out", if required.

I have full insurance coverage through PPOC.

Aug 05, 2014 at 10:07 AM
JBPhotog
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

I am surprised no one has suggested what works for me, a vest and backpack.

My Gura Gear Kiboko backpack is size compliant, just not weight compliant once stuffed with all my gear. I simply wear a vest and pack it with lenses and a body to reduce the weight to their specs. Once on board, the vest gets unloaded with the gear going back into the Kiboko and I stow it. All done, no gate checks, no bags in the belly and I sleep better knowing where my gear is and that it is safe.

Aug 05, 2014 at 05:00 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

I just don't understand the appeal of Pelicans for travel photography. Their only strength is great protection against dust and water. Otherwise they are bulky, awkward to carry, and hard to open. If I was riding in the back of a dusty third world truck for a week or rafting, I'd consider a Pelican. But for anything else, a backpack is so much better. Backpacks are lighter, softer, more flexible, easier to open, and have shoulder straps. I use a Lowepro Trekker 400 AW, which is about the same size as a Pelican 1560 but so much more useful! I have removed the top pouch, laptop pouch, and waist belt to shrink the backpack. It has gone to Europe several times, and European flights have tighter space restrictions than in America.

Another thing is that the Pelican 1560 and Lowepro Trekker 400 AW are both huge bags. You shouldn't need that much gear in the Bahamas unless maybe you are doing serious underwater photography. When my Lowepro goes to Europe it is only about 2/3rds full. (I should get a smaller bag, but I can't justify it for my very few trips to Europe.)

I think the 400 AW is a great bag, but this rant isn't about the awesomeness of Lowepro. It's about the silliness of Pelicans. For all but the most extreme of conditions, Pelicans are overkill. Flying to the Bahamas and going on a cruise are not extreme conditions. Almost any old bag would do fine. Rant mode off... Have a fun trip!

Aug 06, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Taoguy
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

leftcoastlefty wrote:
I just don't understand the appeal of Pelicans for travel photography. Their only strength is great protection against dust and water. Otherwise they are bulky, awkward to carry, and hard to open. If I was riding in the back of a dusty third world truck for a week or rafting, I'd consider a Pelican. But for anything else, a backpack is so much better. Backpacks are lighter, softer, more flexible, easier to open, and have shoulder straps. I use a Lowepro Trekker 400 AW, which is about the same size as a Pelican 1560 but so much more useful! I
...Show more

My Pelicans go on the type of trip you just described. Third world trips/Alaska where my equipment will end up on one or two puddle jumpers, sometimes under a ton of gear. If not that type of trip I'll take a soft bag, Gura Gear have been my choice for the past 4 years and work very well. I would add that a Pelican adds more than dust an water protection than any soft case. I have seen my pelican get tossed about 4-5 feet onto a cart from the belly of a small plane trashing a 70-200 in a soft bag that was tossed right behind my case. In this case the soft bag was not mine. I use them where I know they can be exposed to abuse and probably only on 20% of my trips.

Aug 06, 2014 at 08:08 PM
helimat
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

Pelican 1510 + Think Tank Ultralight FTW

Aug 07, 2014 at 02:24 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

I only use the 1510 if I have my 600mm with me. This ensures the best protection I can plan for if I have to gate check my gear. It happens. Otherwise I use a simple shoulder bag or f-stop loka for carry on.

Aug 07, 2014 at 06:27 AM
rkgatteleport
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

Times they are a changin'...

Seems like every year or two I have to come up with a new bag configuration due to changes with the airlines. My old "go to" bag was my f-stop loka - you could actually get the multiple bodies/lenses/flashes/tablet or laptop, etc I always needed for paid gigs in it with no problems... Until I found I couldn't reliably get an overhead bin space even with getting to the airport early, carefully choosing seats so you boarded earlier than later, etc. And even if you get a coveted overhead bin space on the first leg, all bets are off on the connecting flights.

The last straw was United's latest changes, which I'm sure others will follow soon (I heard American already has, but YMMV). Their new maximum size for your "personal item" is - 9X10X17 inches - they also specified a size for carry ons, but that was more reasonable. the fun part is that if its too big and there's no overhead bin space, it goes in the belly .

Sounds like they aren't enforcing this strictly -yet-, but I've had check in personnel ask me to stuff my bags in the templates before, and... (the loka was fun that way - it -always- fit with space to spare, much to the bag nazi's chagrin).

Apparently they are also looking at charging for gate checked stuff in some cases, so I can see them being motivated to enforce these rules more diligently in the future.

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/travel/Pages/BaggageCarry-On.aspx

I've used the 20 pound coat trick before when flying international. while it works great to get around the weight restrictions, the trouble is that it doesn't help you with the volume. With no overhead bin space by the time you get on the plane, you have this tiny carry on that goes under the seat in front of you which will probably already be full and a long coat full of batteries, flashes, lenses, chargers, etc. that you will probably end up with riding on your lap the whole flight. That sucks.

As I really fear checking stuff I need to have working at the other end other than tripods/the odd light stand (rant about old samsonite ad being depressingly close to the truth about what can happen to your bags deleted), my new strategy is to plan on shipping/renting/borrowing all my redundant gear to/at the destination. Pelican bags are great, but you really can't put much in them if you're putting in enough padding so your lenses will survive a fall from the loading hatch on the plane to the pavement (it happens), etc.

While I have a number of bags that complied to the old carry on recommended sizes/ were smaller than this new size, I also went and found a bag whose worst case dimensions are 9X10X17 - there aren't many -the most reasonable ones I found were a thinktank glass taxi and an old kata 3n1-20, FWIW.

Good Luck with your choice,

rkg
(Richard George)

Aug 09, 2014 at 12:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

I just did a quick market survey of shoulder bags that fit the combined requirements of Air Canada and United Airlines for a "personal item", which is 16" x 10" x 6.3" (43cm x 25cm x 16cm). The MEC shoulder bag that I've been using for years is too big, now.

Here's the summary of both "carry-on" and "personal item" bags. Not all of the data fields are complete, but it's sufficient for me to make up my mind. I just ordered a Timbuk2 Informant Camera Sling (M).

Aug 10, 2014 at 06:46 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

wow, what a detailed eval!
Curiously, I looked at the timbuk2 site
http://www.timbuk2.com/informant-dslr-camera-case-sling-bag/450.html
On this page looks like the largest dimension (M) is 18.1 inches wide at the top, and 15.7 at the bottom.

David

Aug 10, 2014 at 07:56 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

The average of 18.1" and 15.7" is 16.9". I think it'll fit.

Aug 10, 2014 at 08:09 AM
eric hagemann
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

Only airline I have ever had problems with was British Air. They told you at check in whether the carry on would fit or not -- no arguing.........

Given that your carry on is not excessive -- love my 1510 -- only other worry is a late boarding, esp on a connection where the bins are full.

In most cases if you explain to the attendant whats in the case they will most often find a way to make it fit. A friendly smile goes a long way. If that does not help, tell them you are getting off the flight (whats in your bag will exceed the cost of a trip 3 to 10x)........ which means they also have to pull you checked bag (if you have any) and they get even more helpful......

Aug 10, 2014 at 08:22 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

eric hagemann wrote:
... If that does not help, tell them you are getting off the flight (whats in your bag will exceed the cost of a trip 3 to 10x)........ which means they also have to pull you checked bag (if you have any) and they get even more helpful......

I wouldn't be surprised if you'd get on "the list" if you did this.

Aug 10, 2014 at 08:48 AM
eric hagemann
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

seriously doubt that.

if the door of the aircraft is still open its your choice. once they close the door then its another matter......

Aug 10, 2014 at 09:05 AM
ELinder
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

Apparently the airlines are still changing things. My mom got back from Europe last night, and Lufthansa was weighing all the carry on bags and making people check everything that weighed more than 8kg, regardless of the bag size.

Erich

Aug 10, 2014 at 09:56 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

ELinder wrote:
Apparently the airlines are still changing things. My mom got back from Europe last night, and Lufthansa was weighing all the carry on bags and making people check everything that weighed more than 8kg, regardless of the bag size.

Erich

Do you know if Lufthansa allowed only one carry-on per person, or was two OK (i.e. carry-on and "personal item")?

I just checked their site, and the 8kg is stated there. You can have one carry-on and one "personal" bag, at 40 x 30 x 10 cm, which is maybe a bit too small for the 43cm Timbuk2 Informant (average max. dimension). OTOH if weight is the key and the bag will fit in their template (being soft and not crammed full), then it might be OK.

Lufthansa, United, and Air Canada are all members of the Star Alliance, and so I expect they'll soon standardize on the smallest size and lightest weight limits.

Swiss Air has the same limits as Lufthansa (also in Star Alliance). I'll be flying Swiss Air next month with my "travel light" kit: one small bag at about 4kg.

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:22 AM
ELinder
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

Lufthansa was still allowing the carry-on and a personal item, but no matter what size either was, if it was over 8kg it had to be checked. They weren't charging for that new checked bag, but still. There's no way my photo bag will be under 8kg if I'm flying to a photo destination, and no way in hell I'd trust the luggage handlers not to either throw it around or steal something. Either way, this stinks.

Erich

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:16 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Taking My Equipment On a Plane?

I generally use both the carry-on bag and personal item bag for camera gear, plus phone and headphones. As long as the bags aren't over size or overweight (2x 8kg), I'll be OK.

Aug 10, 2014 at 08:18 PM
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.