New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · mentor, hero, role model...dad

rdphotos

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · mentor, hero, role model...dad

finally got to do some images of my mentor, hero, role model and friend...my dad

a very proud Vietnam vet that is still probably one of the hardest working men I know at almost 70 years old

shot with a 22" beauty dish camera left...can't remember if I used a reflector for fill on this shot or not

as always, any pointers for me to improve on are always appreciated!

Thanks, Ron

http://ppcdn.500px.org/78144295/4ccf71d1f6cc1ac570628f6ce1959bc747bf292c/4.jpg

Jul 30, 2014 at 07:00 AM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · mentor, hero, role model...dad

Great image and thank you to your Dad for serving. It shows that you really wanted to show him in his best light. To improve I would lose the headroom at the top of the image. I think the lighting is good for a BW image but maybe a little contrasty for a color image. If it was me I would give it a bit more fill and try to even it out. It's a little hotter at the top than the bottom. He looks good and youthful, you captured a great expression.

Jul 30, 2014 at 08:37 AM
rdphotos

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · mentor, hero, role model...dad

Thanks Eric and I will definitely relay your appreciation to him!

I see what you mean about the dead space above the head, I guess I didn't want it to feel cramped, but scrolling down using the monitor to crop it, I do like it cropped tighter.

I guess the contrasty is where you and I differ, for male images I tend to prefer harsher light and more contrast than I would if it were a portrait of a female. I think there are to many male images out there that make men look soft...just my opinion

I do agree it could use a little more fill, I should have used a reflector camera right or backed up my light a bit so the fall off wouldn't be so extreme.

Thanks for helping me get better!

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:15 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.