New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sony RX100 III vs. Nikon D-80

rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony RX100 III vs. Nikon D-80

I bought a D-610 a few months ago and am wondering why I still have the D-80.

The RX-100 would solve my "easy to carry and hike with" problem. How good is the quality (landscapes mostly) relative to the D-80?

I also shoot night scenes, candids, etc. so am curious how the IQ will compare to the D-80 there too.

Jul 29, 2014 at 03:53 PM
JustinR
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony RX100 III vs. Nikon D-80

I currently shoot with an RX100 I and an EOS-6D. The RX100 III is still the same sensor as the RX100 I, so it should be pretty comparable. I used to shoot with an EOS-40D - which I think has pretty comparable image quality to your D80.

In the short time that I have both the 40D and the RX100, I found that the RX100 has very similar high ISO (noise) performance, better detail at low ISO, and slightly better dynamic range compared to the 40D; neither holds a candle to the 6D, of course. Obviously, handling is nowhere near as good as a DSLR, but that's what you get with any pocketable camera. The continuous shooting and focus tracking isn't as good either (it's not bad for a P+S, but contrast-detect focusing is never as quick as phase-shift)

I'd say that for what you want to do with it, the RX100 is very comparable, if not a little better than, the 40D/D80 era DSLRs in all areas except handling and speed.

-Justin

Jul 30, 2014 at 03:17 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony RX100 III vs. Nikon D-80

Unfortunately there was a gap of 3-4 years between when I had my D80 and when I had my RX100, so I can't give a definite verdict. However I could say that RX100 definitely has better dynamic range than D80 and I suspect it has less shadow noise at high ISO as well. D80 sensor was noisy compared to the canon 40D that I had before that - I would put at it bout 1-stop behind 40D. So it was not the cleanest APS-C sensor to begin with whereas RX100 has Sony's excellent sensor design in it.

And of course as you would expect with a 20MP sensor versus the 10MP in D80, the RX100 can give a lot more detail in good light. For landscapes I think, the added resolution and DR will easily outperform the D80.

However it is still a smaller sensor so the shallow DOF potential is not the same as you could get with your D80 and a decent fast prime. Obviously not an issue for landscapes but something to keep in mind for people shots.

Edited on Jul 31, 2014 at 12:00 PM · View previous versions

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:44 AM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony RX100 III vs. Nikon D-80

JustinR wrote:
.... The RX100 III is still the same sensor as the RX100 I, so it should be pretty comparable. ....

RX100 III sensor is actually slightly better than the RX100 sensor. RX100 II and III use a back illuminated sensor and have about 1/3rd of a stop improvement in noise performance compared to RX100. Not earth shattering but still an improvement.

While I haven't used RX100 III yet, it has been reported by various reviewers that unlike the original RX100 lens which was soft at the corners, the RX100 III lens is sharp up to the edges. Should be handy for landscapes.

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:51 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony RX100 III vs. Nikon D-80

RX100 will be better at low iso's for things like landscapes where it does have a resolution advantage.

All and all though, quite a different shooting experience between a DSLR and a high end P&S.

I don't think either can really replace the other as they do quite different things and have different strengths.

I think the RX100 can make a great landscape tool as its small and light and punches well above its weight when it comes to IQ/resolution.

For stopped down landscapes, it could work great.

A DSLR, with even the cheapest 50mm f1.8 lens, is going to of course give a totally different amount of subject isolation ability, the experience of using an optical finder etc

Kind of apples and oranges.

Have to pick what is import to you

I've got the RX100 and mkIII version and they are great pocket cameras but I don't enjoy shooting them for fun, they are simply compact tools, and do their job well, but the experience of actually shooting isn't enjoyable. Its not bad mind you, but they don't inpsire me to pick them up like other cameras, typically with more traditional controls do

DSLR's on the other hand are great for fast action and a more traditional shooting experience. There is work I wouldn't do without a DSLR, but at the same time, there are LOTS of times where I don't want to carry a DSLR, such as on vacation or when out hiking.

Horses for courses

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:17 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony RX100 III vs. Nikon D-80

Like I said, it will not replace my D610 (!) I just don't have much use for the D80 anymore, but would like to upgrade from my current pocket camera, a Canon S90.

B&H had a cond. 9 used RX100 III for sale at $660 and I couldn't pass that up... On its way now.

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:49 PM
malosify

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony RX100 III vs. Nikon D-80

rw11 wrote:
B&H had a cond. 9 used RX100 III for sale at $660 and I couldn't pass that up... On its way now.

Hah - that was probably mine. I tried to like it, but general slowness of operation and awkward setup of controls just wasn't for me. If you end up returning - I'd suggest taking a look at Panasonic GM1 and the 20/1.7 II lens. The camera is wonderfully quick and the image is much better (size is very comparable).

Aug 01, 2014 at 11:54 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony RX100 III vs. Nikon D-80

Interesting! The GM1 is too large. I expect the RX100 will feel large & heavy to me (compared to the Canon S90)...

Aug 01, 2014 at 01:12 PM
curious80
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony RX100 III vs. Nikon D-80

Here is a size comparison for S100 vs original RX100 vs RX100 III vs GM1+20mm:

http://camerasize.com/compact/#140,332,555,491.30,ha,t

In terms of width and height, GM1 is actually smaller than even the S100. However in terms of depth it is significantly deeper. The RX100 III is in the middle. Note that the RX100 III is the thickest in the RX100 family. So depending on your needs you could also consider the original RX100 instead of the Mark III.

Aug 01, 2014 at 01:43 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony RX100 III vs. Nikon D-80

yes - I'd really like something wafer-thin...

In a few days I'll see how I like having a heavy 10 oz. chunk of metal in my pocket (RX100) - the S90 was a bit heavy too (6 oz).

When they shrink a D810 to 1 oz. and a credit card, I'll be real happy...

Aug 01, 2014 at 05:20 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.