New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

Might just be finger troubles.

Exposure compensation set to 0. Auto ISO is on. Does it in both Manual and Aperture priority.

If I set the shutter speed and aperture and just let the camera select the iso, the D810 will overexpose about 2/3rds of a stop using the viewfinder.

Live view, the image is correctly exposed with the same settings albeit, the camera chooses a lower iso for a proper exposure.

Metering is evaluative for both.

I don't understand what I'm missing. Maybe someone with a d810 can test theirs out for me as well.

Thanks!

Jul 29, 2014 at 01:03 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

Probably not the issue, but make sure that it's not set to bracket shots.

Jul 29, 2014 at 01:11 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

hijazist wrote:
Probably not the issue, but make sure that it's not set to bracket shots.

No, not set to bracket. Checked that but did find an interesting thing. I didn't think the bracketing options were different vs the d800, but they added a +2 exposure difference in the D810 so you can now bracket greater than 1 ev difference.

Jul 29, 2014 at 01:17 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

What do you have the ISO set to? Whatever ISO you have dialed in becomes the "minimum" ISO that the Auto ISO will use - the camera wont go below that ISO. Can you confirm you have the ISO set to 64.

Jul 29, 2014 at 01:53 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

Yes set to ISO 64. Camera meters fine in aperture mode with ISO selected. (No auto-ISO)

Jul 29, 2014 at 02:44 PM
plubbry
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

When shooting from LV, does the mirror drop down to permit metering and rise again for exposure? If so, is stray light entering the viewfinder during LV shooting that will cause the image to underexpose 2/3 stop? Perhaps try shooting LV with the viewfinder shutter closed?

Just some thoughts.

Jul 29, 2014 at 02:53 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

Can you verify that with Auto ISO off the camera meters -2/3EV below at the same ISO that Auto ISO selected?

Jul 29, 2014 at 02:55 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

plubbry wrote:
When shooting from LV, does the mirror drop down to permit metering and rise again for exposure? If so, is stray light entering the viewfinder during LV shooting that will cause the image to underexpose 2/3 stop? Perhaps try shooting LV with the viewfinder shutter closed?

Just some thoughts.

The camera uses the image sensor to meter in LV instead of the traditional metering sensors, so stray light wont affect the metering.

Jul 29, 2014 at 02:56 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

It depends on the scene that you are shooting. My normal running around mode with the camera is Aperture Priority, so the camera does the exposure calculation for me. But I always, have the exposure compensation set it -2/3rds of a stop. I have been shooting that way with every Nikon camera I have had.

I would suggest to set the exposure compensation to -2/3rds and leave it at that, unless you happen to be shooting a scene where it needs to be changed.

Jim

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:42 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

auto ISO -- I never use it.

Jul 29, 2014 at 05:34 PM
Doug Maclean
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

Auto Iso is the Bomb.I shoot manual with auto Iso when not using flash.If you change your shutter speed or aperture make sure you are always above iso 64 to make sure you are not over exposing.Also if you are matrix metering you should be using exposure compensation to get your subject properly exposed.
Or change your view finder brightness to match the exposures you are getting.Doug M

Jul 29, 2014 at 07:50 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

Have you tried it in other metering modes and do you see it in all conditions?

Jul 29, 2014 at 08:19 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

auto modes suck. my d800 does it too.

Jul 29, 2014 at 09:21 PM
Hardcore
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

I have to do more testing, but it seems like in some situations, it will overexpose 2/3rds over what live view exposes. I have taken all suggestions.

I for one love auto iso. I'll do more testing though to make sure it isn't just me (most of the time it is)

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:47 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

lxdesign wrote:
auto ISO -- I never use it.

auto ISO- I use it often.

i have found little use for live view.

Edited on Jul 30, 2014 at 06:34 AM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:40 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

Hardcore wrote:
I have to do more testing, but it seems like in some situations, it will overexpose 2/3rds over what live view exposes. I have taken all suggestions.

I for one love auto iso. I'll do more testing though to make sure it isn't just me (most of the time it is)

Initially as you explained it the problem was specific to Auto ISO. But based on the above I believe you're just getting a different metering/reading in LV vs non-LV, and it just happens that the different reading is reflected in the ISO because you're using Auto ISO. It's not uncommon for LV to expose differently than non-LV, since in LV metering is performed off the image sensor instead of the metering sensor. Nikon's LV metering algorithm is designed to meter as close as possible to the traditional, non-LV metering sensors but there are situations where that wont be the case. I believe that's what you're seeing. You can verify this by reproducing a scene that shows what you believed to be an Auto ISO difference and then just turn off Auto ISO and observe that it's really a metering difference.

Jul 30, 2014 at 04:42 AM
benjikan
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

JimFox wrote:
It depends on the scene that you are shooting. My normal running around mode with the camera is Aperture Priority, so the camera does the exposure calculation for me. But I always, have the exposure compensation set it -2/3rds of a stop. I have been shooting that way with every Nikon camera I have had.

I would suggest to set the exposure compensation to -2/3rds and leave it at that, unless you happen to be shooting a scene where it needs to be changed.

Jim

Exactly...my D810 systematically overexposes by 1/3rd to 2/3rds of a stop, where my D800 and D800e doesn't

Mar 21, 2019 at 01:11 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

another 4 months and this would of been a 5 year old thread resurrection

Mar 21, 2019 at 01:55 PM
bjd70
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

my D810 systematically overexposes by 1/3rd to 2/3rds of a stop, where my D800 and D800e doesn't

May not be the same thing but each of my bodies may expose differently depending on what lens is on it. Some combinations have good exposure, others are under or over. I finally tested all of the combinations and determined which ones need a bit of EC cranked in.

Mar 21, 2019 at 09:09 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D810 overexposure with Auto-ISO

The only way to be assured of a good exposure is to use the provide EV adjustment for a given scene. I get different exposures of a scene depending on the metering used, spot, CW, or matrix.

Most of the time I use CW and manual mode so I can set the aperture and shutter speed and then decide whether or not to use Auto ISO. Regardless I will often need to make an EV adjustment to get the best possible exposure.

When using flash I always turn Auto ISO off as the results are neither consistent or predictable.

Mar 22, 2019 at 12:56 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.