New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Westcott Apollo... Adjusting the flash

Chris Humphrey
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Westcott Apollo... Adjusting the flash

I was looking at the Westcott Apollo softbxes and they seem like an interesting system. I like that there isn't a speeding. That's pretty cool, however, I was wondering once you've got the diffusion panel attached, it seems like there isn't a great way to access the back of the flash if you need to adjust the power... Am I missing something or wouldn't this be a total pain as your dialing in your settings to keep having to take the diffusion panel on and off to change the power output on your flash.

Has anyone here used one that can provide some feedback? Am I making this out to be a bigger deal than it actually is or is it a true concern?

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Westcott Apollo... Adjusting the flash

Any monolight or speedlight is a pain for this really. For the apollo the front panel is velcro and the flash faces back into the softbox so it makes power adjustment easier since it is pointing up rather than down but it is still annoying.

I use mine with the PW TT5 and AC3 for remote power control. The CLS system also works through the apollo's material (even with the popup flash) if you are not too far away.

Jul 29, 2014 at 02:56 PM
sidefunk
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Westcott Apollo... Adjusting the flash

Its a pain. That is why I was so happy that Yongnuo released a controller (YN 560-TX) for the YN 560iii manual flashes. If you are using speedlights then this system seems to be the best bang for you buck around. That is, if you can deal with only manual flash setting and no TTL.

Jul 29, 2014 at 05:28 PM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Westcott Apollo... Adjusting the flash

Get the Phottix Odin system and you can have ttl also. And it's not too bad a price either. A lot cheaper that pocket wizard flex/mini system.

Aug 05, 2014 at 04:29 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Westcott Apollo... Adjusting the flash

Chris Humphrey wrote:
...Has anyone here used one that can provide some feedback? Am I making this out to be a bigger deal than it actually is or is it a true concern?

When I first got mine, I was using a flash (Vivitar285HV) that couldn't be adjusted remotely. It was a bit of a pain to adjust because I had to remove the diffusion panel, make the adjustment, then put it back, but it wasn't really that much more difficult than having to walk over to the soft box in the first place. I then came upon the idea of putting the Vari-Power control knob outside the box on the (rare) extension cord I had, and that eliminated moving the diffusion panel but not the walk to the box.

Later I got Canon flashes that could be adjusted remotely using the command-and-control flashes of a Master Speedlite, and that eliminated the walk. (Yes, the Speedlite inside the Apollo could usually "see" the Master's flashes through the fabric, though not 100% reliably).

Finally I got radio control modules for all my flashes (Yongnuo YN-622C), and that works even better than the Canon optical wireless. It's been 100% so far.

If you're using monolights instead of speedlights, there's a version especially for them that has an opening on the box that the monolight sticks out of, giving full access to the controls.

Aug 06, 2014 at 01:51 PM
Sid Ceaser
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Westcott Apollo... Adjusting the flash

It's not a pain. I've been using them for years and years. It's only a pain if you don't know what the hell you are doing with your flash settings.

it takes all of a few seconds to walk over, open it up, set the power to what you need and close the fabric. I've used the Apollo's for every single location or job outside of my studio. Modern technology has crippled the ability for people to do *anything* manually any more. The better you know your settings, the faster the softbox is to use

I love the hell out of my Apollo's. They rock and roll. If you are someone that has absolutely no patience, then you might not want to use these. If you are obsessed with valuing every single second of your day, then keep walking. Otherwise, these things are great portable soft boxes.

Cheers,
Sid

Aug 07, 2014 at 02:52 PM
basehorhonda
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Westcott Apollo... Adjusting the flash

For the longest time, I just adjusted my aperture and as long as I was close initially, it was all good. It was want a big deal for me to adjust my F/stop by 1/3 or 2/3.

Like someone else all ready stated, I since have upgraded to the PW flex and mini along with the AC3 controller. I love the fact that I can now control the power output on my flash, plus be able to switch to ttl if I were to ever need too. Also, I can control both my speed lights and strobes with the same equipment.

Aug 27, 2014 at 09:12 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Westcott Apollo... Adjusting the flash

The new Yongnuo 560tx transmitter with 560III flashes is amazing, I'm finally using my Apollo style softbox again since I can so easily control the flash(es) from the camera. You can get 3 flashes and a transmitter for like $250!!

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:17 PM
SpecFoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Westcott Apollo... Adjusting the flash

I have the Westcott Apollo, plus 2 others in the series, the Orb and the StripBox. The Westcott units are pretty good, folding up like an umbrella for transporting and they provide good light. I shoot manual flash though, and would not use them without having some kind of triggering system. (actually this applies softbox or not…) It IS a pain to go over and open up the diffuser to adjust the flash each time you use them, especially if you use multiple lights. Also have the Lastolite Exybox and Cheetastand Q boxes, these are pop up 24" softboxes with double diffusers where the flash is adjustable from the back without opening up the diffusion layer. There are a couple of negatives with the Apollo, it does not have a 2nd diffuser or cannot use a grid, unlike the pop up boxes. (the Orb and Stripbox both have wider velcro for mounting the diffuser and can use a grid). And, as the light stand shaft comes into the unit from the bottom, you cannot tilt the unit upward or downward beyond the zippered opening limit, maybe 5 to 10 degrees, before hitting the light stand. There are some solutions to this involving add on parts, but they can be costly to implement. ($40 to $60)

Early this year I switched to the Cheetah/Godox 360 bare bulb flash units. The Apollo is now my least efficient light modifier of the 14 I own. The Apollo is 1-2/3 stop less efficient as the Ezybox or Qbox when all are using 1 stop diffusion and still 1 stop less when the others have 2 diffusion layers. I can get f/20 with the pop up boxes at 5' 6" distance, one layer of diffusion and full power with the AD360, the Apollo is f/11. The 24" pop up boxes will help with full sun situations, the Apollo not as much. I never tested the light output with the speedlite flashes, so take this as specific to this light type only.

Aug 29, 2014 at 02:02 PM
swordfishphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Westcott Apollo... Adjusting the flash

Just get the one made for monolights.

Sep 02, 2014 at 06:58 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Westcott Apollo... Adjusting the flash

brett maxwell wrote:
The new Yongnuo 560tx transmitter with 560III flashes is amazing, I'm finally using my Apollo style softbox again since I can so easily control the flash(es) from the camera. You can get 3 flashes and a transmitter for like $250!!

Wow...don't I feel like an ass buying the Canon 600exrt 4 times over! I could've easily gotten 12yn flashes and 3 transmitters, plus some other gizmos.

Gahhh!

Sep 08, 2014 at 06:35 AM
skyraider6
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Westcott Apollo... Adjusting the flash

You can still sell those 600's, buy a dozen 560 III's + the 3 TX's and a whole bunch more or keep 2 of the 600's and still get what you want.

Sep 17, 2014 at 07:20 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.