New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Lead-Gel Battery Life

StanOPhoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Lead-Gel Battery Life

I've had my Quadras for about six months (bought used) and have had some lead-gel battery woes since the beginning. 3 batteries were included and 2 were purchased new from a local retainer.

During my headshot sessions, it appears that the batteries kick into Slow Recharge mode within about 20-25 minutes of shooting or about 100 frames at 87 Watt/sec.

I swapped batteries and plugged the spent battery into my charger and it only took about 20 minutes before the yellow light turned green.

Is this normal? Based on my power settings, I would assume the batteries would last me a lot longer. Maybe I'm not following the proper charging procedure? If it helps, all of my batteries act the same.

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:13 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Lead-Gel Battery Life

Buying them used their is really know way to know if the previous owner took care of them (kept them charged) or not. Are you saying the new ones are only lasting 100 shots at 87 WS also? That wouldn't be normal. The new ones could have sit on the retailers shelf for a long time also. Those I would take back if they are bad.

Then, are you running the modeling lamp full time? It may not be the batteries but something wrong with the pack. You should probably send it in for a tune-up since you bought it used. Or, try a new battery, full power, no modeling lamp. You should get about 125 to 150 pops. It's a bit of a pain but if you got at least a 100 you could probably stop.

Jul 29, 2014 at 09:15 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Lead-Gel Battery Life

Note, I decided to run my Quadra SLA battery down and recharge it. Mine is about 1 and 1/2 years old with about 2,000 pops on it. Just so you know, I got 117 full power pops at fast recycle before it shut itself off.

Aug 01, 2014 at 12:48 PM
StanOPhoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Lead-Gel Battery Life

Gregg Heckler wrote:
Note, I decided to run my Quadra SLA battery down and recharge it. Mine is about 1 and 1/2 years old with about 2,000 pops on it. Just so you know, I got 117 full power pops at fast recycle before it shut itself off.

Thanks for the response on this. I think I narrowed down the problem to one of my packs. I just shot an editorial assignment and did close to 500 frames at ~100watt/sec on one battery (let's call this Pack A). Pack B on the other hand was used at ~25 watt/sec for about 40 frames and another 30 frames at 130 watt/sec. Within this time frame, Pack B went into SLOW mode on two batteries.

I've done similar tests with both packs and all of my batteries, and I've come to the conclusion that Pack B needs to be repaired. Even after SLOW mode is engaged, the batteries recharge within 20 minutes.

Do you have any recommendations on where to send this pack for repair?

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:34 AM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Lead-Gel Battery Life

I'm happy to hear you figured it out. I've never had to send any if my Elinchrom gear in for repair. But I did drop an RX-600 from about 6' and cracked a case. I'll called Manfrotto the U.S. Importer of Elinchrom and bought a case from them and replaced it. They took good care of me. I believe their Elinchrom repair location is in Arizona if you Google them.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:14 PM
StanOPhoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Lead-Gel Battery Life

***To update the thread***

I ended up sending the pack into CRIS Camera (the official Elinchrom repair facility). 4 weeks and $200 later, the pack is back, good as new. They replaced the main circuit board but wouldn't explain what exactly was wrong.

My pack went from firing 10 full power pops to 65ish, which is a huge jump. This seems to be on par with my other Hybrid pack, as they kick into Slow mode within about 10 pops on the same battery.

Sep 24, 2014 at 07:12 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Lead-Gel Battery Life

I'm glad you got it taken care of.

Good Shooting

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:16 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.