New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · P&S Choices

alfarmer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · P&S Choices

Hi, everyone.

I'm in the market for a new P&S for vacations, etc. but no rush. So I'm wondering if I should wait for fall release announcements, if any, or pick something already for sale. Since it's usually September/October for new product announcements, I'm leaning towards what's available now.

Of what's available now, these are the ones that have piqued my interest the most:

* Sony RX-100 I
- Cheaper and not much different than the II model
* Sony RX-100 III
- Best of the three, but essentially double the price
- Seems much snappier in operation overall

* Fujifilm XF1
- Nice & compact
- Weird operational characteristics
- Least expensive on the list
- Spotty reviews
* Fujifilm XQ1
- Much older model
- Same price as the RX-100 I, but not a match in specs
- Lots of nice, comfy mechanical controls

So my questions for das groupe are:

1. Anything missing from the above list?
- IQ is very important
- Low light & high ISO performance are critical
- Video file format is important (been burned by both
Motion JPEG and AVCHD in the past)
- Pocketability is a must
- Auto lens cap is a must
- Optical lens stabilization preferred
- Viewfinder isn't a big deal, but nice if there

2. Anything on the list that should definitely be removed?

Thanks!

Jul 29, 2014 at 02:28 AM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · P&S Choices

I've been there before and honestly after so much research I couldn't find anything that comes close to the RX100 (I only tried the first one). I would also buy used here at the B&S since these cameras drop down in price very quickly.

If your budget is unlimited then I couldn't recommend the RX1 enough

Jul 29, 2014 at 02:59 AM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · P&S Choices

Are RX1 images THAT much better?

Jul 29, 2014 at 05:42 AM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · P&S Choices

I have not shot or really compared the images from any of the RX100 cams to the RX1. But the RX1 has a higher performing lens and a full frame sensor instead of a 1" (2.7x crop) sensor. So I would be willing to bet that the RX1 is much better in low light, for high dynamic range, larger print/viewing size, sharper lens, better for shallower depth of field shots. The RX100 series will do great (comparitivly speaking) in good light if you want greater depth of field and aren't planning on printing too large.

I am also looking for a small P&S for an upcoming europe trip. My list that I am looking at: RX100, RX100 III, yet to be announced Panasonic LX8 and yet to be announced Nikon P8000. All of which either use or are rumored to use a 1" sensor. Problem for me is that the LX8 and P8000 likely won't be announced let alone available before I leave in early September.

Right now the RX100 III is the more interesting option over the original RX100. For me there are three compelling upgrades. Wider lens at 24mm vice 28mm, articulated LCD, and popup EVF. Downside being that it is much pricier and its value will drop fairly quickly. So I still haven't decided.

Also, if you're also looking at earlier cameras as well you could also look at a Panasonic LX7. It has a smaller sensor (lower resolution, less dynamic range and poorer high iso performance) than the RX100 cameras but is very well regarded for its controls and operations. It is also cheaper (though a little larger) than the RX100.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:32 AM
hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · P&S Choices

The RX1 is on another level IMHO. The sensor/lens combination is very well executed and the output can be compared to the best systems in the market. The RX1 is Full Frame which means much better ISO, better control of DOF, better IQ, etc... It's a fixed lens (35mm) so you should keep that in mind when deciding. It's also much more expensive.

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:55 PM
alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · P&S Choices

Yeah I like the Panasonic LX line. I had the LX3 and LX5, but they lost me with the LX7 because there's no way to attach the removable lens cover. For P&S purposes I don't like having a lens cover at all, but at least prior to the LX7 it was attachable.

FWIW I highly doubt the LX8 or P8000 will have FF sensors. Probably 4:3 or 1.6x at best. Just IMHO of course.

I really liked the new Ricoh too, but fixed 28mm was just too limiting. But oh man what great controls, etc.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:56 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.