Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
11
       end
  

Zeiss vs Other lenses
  
 
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #1 · p.11 #1 · Zeiss vs Other lenses


sebboh wrote:
I'd definitely be interested to see that. on the whole though, I've been much more interested in what non-photographers think. whether people who don't care or know anything about camera equipment have any equipment preferences.


I do think it is worth knowing what photographers think, since they are likely better able to note and assess things that others might miss. On the other hand, it would be interesting to see what the sort of people you describe can see. (I like to think of them as potential clients!)

Dan



Aug 21, 2014 at 01:03 AM
e.aland
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #2 · p.11 #2 · Zeiss vs Other lenses


thanks for responding.
the 135L is THE lens I never sold - my oldest lens in my bag. that says all.

what I could do is to post a sonnar image here, but I dont know how to do it. never done it. do I need an account ??


jcolwell wrote:
I'd be happy to post a detailed comparison of images from my (sharp) 135/2L and your brother's Sonnar.

In fact, I'll be changing flights in Zurich in late September. Maybe you could throw it over the fence...





Aug 21, 2014 at 04:48 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #3 · p.11 #3 · Zeiss vs Other lenses


e.aland wrote:
...what I could do is to post a sonnar image here, but I dont know how to do it. never done it. do I need an account ??


You don't need to pay the FM Upload & Sell membership feel (which allows you to upload images that are hosted at FM), but you do need somwhere online to host the photo. The FM FAQ tells you how to do it,

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/faqforum.php?Action=Viewfaqforum&id=34#faqforumid34



Aug 21, 2014 at 04:55 PM
e.aland
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #4 · p.11 #4 · Zeiss vs Other lenses


Carl Zeiss 135 f2 Sonnar, f71

http://visionandsoul.zenfolio.com/p722591180/h267d7063#h267d7063Carl Zeiss 135 f2 Sonnar, f7.1



Aug 21, 2014 at 06:43 PM
dhphoto
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #5 · p.11 #5 · Zeiss vs Other lenses


e.aland wrote:
http://visionandsoul.zenfolio.com/p722591180/h267d7063#h267d7063Carl Zeiss 135 f2 Sonnar, f7.1


I don't mean to be rude but that looks terribly soft


Edited on Aug 21, 2014 at 06:46 PM · View previous versions



Aug 21, 2014 at 06:45 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



e.aland
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #6 · p.11 #6 · Zeiss vs Other lenses


the thing is, if you go inside the in the full res pictures.
you could print them superlarge.
I dont need that, but the Zeiss-resolution is stunning...



Aug 21, 2014 at 06:46 PM
e.aland
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #7 · p.11 #7 · Zeiss vs Other lenses


on my screen its good. i can zoom in and its supersharp.
maybe a display problem - dont mind.
the best is to try out such a lens.
I myself am a canon L prime fan (even I owned good L zooms - sold them all to "go light").
now i am enjoyed with 2 small zeiss f2 lenses (50 mp and 25 distagon). love them.


dhphoto wrote:
I don't mean to be rude but that looks terribly soft





Aug 21, 2014 at 06:49 PM
jcolwell
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.11 #8 · p.11 #8 · Zeiss vs Other lenses


I know what David (dhphoto) is saying. Zenfolio only lets me see an image of about 970 x 650 px, and so there's no detail to zoom in on.

I'm confident that the CZ Sonnar 135/2 ZE is a very fine lens, but I'm leaning towards an SMC Pentax-A* 135/1.8. Unfortunately, a used -A* 135/1.8 costs about $1000 more than a new CZ 135/2 ZE. OTOH, it is faster...



Aug 21, 2014 at 07:54 PM
sebboh
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #9 · p.11 #9 · Zeiss vs Other lenses


gdanmitchell wrote:
I do think it is worth knowing what photographers think, since they are likely better able to note and assess things that others might miss. On the other hand, it would be interesting to see what the sort of people you describe can see. (I like to think of them as potential clients!)

Dan


yeah, i'm interested in non-photographers view because they tend not to care about the technical details of the picture at all and an effect has to be big for them to notice. photographers have the tendency to obsess over minor stuff and be unnaturally fixated on a specific (mostly unimportant) technical aspect. i have had non-photographers notice something was different in the images when i switched to a zeiss lens midway through the day from a rokkor (all images were processed to my taste individually first), they preferred the rokkor though. zeiss isn't always friendly to people. it would be easy to argue that i have specific looks in mind for my different lenses and shoot differently with them and that this bias makes the shots from different lenses obviously different.






Aug 22, 2014 at 02:17 AM
e.aland
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.11 #10 · p.11 #10 · Zeiss vs Other lenses


thanks for clearing up.
I can only reconfirm the good IQ of the 2 zeiss lenses I use and what I have seen from the 135 sonnar.

I could imagine to own both the 135L and 135 sonnar.

good luck with your evergreen pentax 135 f1.8 !
(i checked pictures from this lens on the net and it seems to be an optical bijou)


jcolwell wrote:
I know what David (dhphoto) is saying. Zenfolio only lets me see an image of about 970 x 650 px, and so there's no detail to zoom in on.

I'm confident that the CZ Sonnar 135/2 ZE is a very fine lens, but I'm leaning towards an SMC Pentax-A* 135/1.8. Unfortunately, a used -A* 135/1.8 costs about $1000 more than a new CZ 135/2 ZE. OTOH, it is faster...





Aug 22, 2014 at 06:19 PM
1       2       3              10      
11
       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              10      
11
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password