Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Naples pier Sunset tonight (+1 in thread)

wembley
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Naples pier Sunset tonight (+1 in thread)

Decided to use the 70-200 for tonights sunsets at the Naples pier instead of my usual choice of the 17-35 or the 28-70.

#1 70-200
http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-P2T-pglU5so/U9b8p0bym4I/AAAAAAAAazM/JTHva8RftVc/s800/D3S_2753.jpg

#2 back to the 17-35
http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Mud58U-FVxs/U9b8vBp71XI/AAAAAAAAazc/473MT0E-HeM/s800/D3S_2769.jpg

Cheers
Wembley

Edited on Jul 28, 2014 at 11:07 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2014 at 08:53 PM
GCasey
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Naples pier Sunset tonight (+1 in thread)

Excellent!

Jul 28, 2014 at 09:12 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Naples pier Sunset tonight (+1 in thread)

I like #1 best. Though I am big fan of long exposures the amount cloud blur in #2 isn't working for me. I think a much longer exposure would have worked better or a short exposure with some wave action. Also, the bit of reflection in the bottom right is distracting. Just a cropping of the reflections in #2 helps the image a lot. This is just my thoughts take as you wish.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:22 PM
wembley
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Naples pier Sunset tonight (+1 in thread)

Scott Kroeker wrote:
I like #1 best. Though I am big fan of long exposures the amount cloud blur in #2 isn't working for me. I think a much longer exposure would have worked better or a short exposure with some wave action. Also, the bit of reflection in the bottom right is distracting. Just a cropping of the reflections in #2 helps the image a lot. This is just my thoughts take as you wish.

Scott:

Thanks for the critique. Your work is unbelievable and I find myself viewing it time and time again.

My issue with #1 is the overexposure on the sun but i see and agree with you on #2. The cloud movement is strong and a twice as long exposure would really add something. Also agree about the reflection. None at all or a lot more is needed. I just have some long exposure noise issues with exposures much over 3 minutes (this was 3 minutes I believe).

What I was proud of in this image was manually using the GND. I didn't put it in the cokin holder rather jiggled it in front of the lens. I believe I'll use this method in the future (although it looks a little odd!)

My disappointment after the image was taken was the dark cloud behind the roof. If I had moved to the right and had the roof in front of the bright sky it would have helped.

Again respect your work and thanks for commenting. Attention to details are important.

Cheers
wembley

Edited on Jul 28, 2014 at 11:26 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM
wembley
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Naples pier Sunset tonight (+1 in thread)

GCasey wrote:
Excellent!

Thanks GCasey.

cheers
wembley

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM
wembley
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Naples pier Sunset tonight (+1 in thread)

Ok based on Scott's feedback I edited the next frame. Same shutter speed but the clouds were closer to the frame edge so appear to have more movement as they leave the frame. I also cropped the reflection on the sand out and this has a little more color. Also the lights in the huts on the pier are stronger, giving more contrast from the dark cloud behind.

Looking at them side by side, the clouds on this look better IMO.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VosqouajprI/U9cYbGLY3TI/AAAAAAAAazw/Ocq_10UyR9g/s800/D3S_2771.jpg

Cheers
Wembley

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:47 PM
JAUrrutia9
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Naples pier Sunset tonight (+1 in thread)

That last edit is very strong. Good revision!

Jul 29, 2014 at 09:23 AM
berenosphoto
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Naples pier Sunset tonight (+1 in thread)

The re-edited version is stellar!

Jul 29, 2014 at 09:52 AM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Naples pier Sunset tonight (+1 in thread)

wembley wrote:
Scott:

Thanks for the critique. Your work is unbelievable and I find myself viewing it time and time again.

My issue with #1 is the overexposure on the sun but i see and agree with you on #2. The cloud movement is strong and a twice as long exposure would really add something. Also agree about the reflection. None at all or a lot more is needed. I just have some long exposure noise issues with exposures much over 3 minutes (this was 3 minutes I believe).

What I was proud of in this image was manually using the GND. I didn't put
...Show more

Thank you Wembley!

Long exposures are definitely challenging. More so when you get into the 3+ minute range. Dealing with noise is never fun.

Interesting technique with the grad filter. I've head of this being done before but with just a solid black card. It would be challenge to master but would be better in certain situations. Like a mountain range with a valley in the middle. A normal grad would turn the mountain tops black but using a black card and turning it 45 degrees and just darken the valley area. Would be fun to experiment with.
---------------------------------------------

wembley wrote:

Ok based on Scott's feedback I edited the next frame. Same shutter speed but the clouds were closer to the frame edge so appear to have more movement as they leave the frame. I also cropped the reflection on the sand out and this has a little more color. Also the lights in the huts on the pier are stronger, giving more contrast from the dark cloud behind.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VosqouajprI/U9cYbGLY3TI/AAAAAAAAazw/Ocq_10UyR9g/s800/D3S_2771.jpg

Cheers
Wembley

I really like the 3rd image. Much better cloud movement.

Jul 29, 2014 at 02:34 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Naples pier Sunset tonight (+1 in thread)

first one is really cool, great light

2nd one, the long exposure bugs me, that one just flips my eyes out

Edited on Jul 29, 2014 at 04:21 PM · View previous versions

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:19 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Naples pier Sunset tonight (+1 in thread)

wembley wrote:

Cheers
Wembley

this one i like a lot better than #2, although i'm still not sure whatver exposure length it was is quite my ideal, but nice

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:20 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.