Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Carl Auer, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Motion blur or out of focus

Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Motion blur or out of focus

Hi there

I'm posting here cause its about sport images.

I use the 1DX with a 300mm 2.8L USM + 1.4X extender.
I have a problem when it comes to shoot sports with my 1DX and 300mm at f4 , at 1/1000 sec, 2000 ISO + 1.4Xextender II; the images often appear OOF or with a motion blur in it.

The problem is not there when I don't use the 1.4X extender. But I used to worked with it in the past and eveything
was fine. Images were sharp. But it was with another 1DX.

Any idea what can cause this? the 1.4X extender? the 1DX?
Should I send the DX for a check-up?

thank you

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:40 PM
ian408
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Motion blur or out of focus

Looks out of focus.

Have you tried any focus tests or made micro adjustments?

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:15 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Motion blur or out of focus

It looks to be typical TC degradation. Are they playing on turf? Is it hot out?

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Motion blur or out of focus

teleconverter degradation
yes they do play on turf.
the weather was hot and it started to rain few minutes after those pics were taken

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:39 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Motion blur or out of focus

Joshua J. Ahern wrote:
teleconverter degradation
yes they do play on turf.
the weather was hot and it started to rain few minutes after those pics were taken

The longer the reach the more the images will be susceptible to "turf currents" coming off the ground. Hard to beat. It ranks right up there along with cycling lights and mosquitoes when it come to annoyances on a field. You could drop the TC and stand rather than kneel or sit, but it can still be problematic.

Jul 29, 2014 at 01:02 AM
can0nfan2379
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Motion blur or out of focus

Can't comment on the 1DX part of it but when I was using my 300 2.8L IS with a 5D3 + 1.4XII it was razor freaking sharp at f4 (420mm) with minimal loss in sharpness over the bare lens. Perhaps micro adjust the 300 + 1.4x combo??

Jul 29, 2014 at 01:28 AM
Widgic
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Motion blur or out of focus

I agree with other people, looks like a problem with the TC.

To be sure, you should try to do a control conditions experiment: shoot the same scene (something with a mix of contrasting colors and fine details) in close to ideal conditions (indoors but if not possible outdoors in a cool, clear day) with and without the TC and see the differences. Good lighting will be important to really bring in the details, so using a strobe is recommended.

If it's significantly worse with the TC, you might try to see if it's a focus shift with the TC by playing with the microfocus.

Denis
www.widgic.com

Jul 29, 2014 at 01:28 AM
Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Motion blur or out of focus

thanks for those comments guys.

I'll go with the testing as it sounds the way to find out the problem.
Of course meanwhile, other comments will still be appreciated

I'll come back to you and hopefully with good news...

thanks again

Jul 29, 2014 at 02:09 AM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Motion blur or out of focus

Couple of things as food for thought...
1. You need differ MFA with and without MFA, settings will be stored separately by camera
2. The blur doesn't look much like fringing and more like motion or defocus. Please check your Exif for shutter speed. If slower than you set, the. Your have Safety Shift on, turn it off.
3. Which TC are you using? Mk iii > Mk ii >> Mk i Canon. Kenko dGX Pro similar to Mk ii.

I hope your sort it out, let is know.

Jul 29, 2014 at 05:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Motion blur or out of focus

Josh,

There are a couple of other things that might be in the mix here as well, but difficult to determine based on what has been provided. Where was the focal point located? Were you using one or multiple focal points? Were you standing or sitting? Were you locked on to the player PRIOR to shooting? BTW: Solid black jerseys are no friends to AF Do you have other examples on higher contrasting targets that have given you similar results?

- agree with Paul, that heat waves maybe at work here, with standing up being the only help
- also agree you should AFMA your rig & I would start with the DotTune method (remember to use 50 x 300 x 1.4 for the distance ie 69ft, no wind, bright sunny day etc...) When done shoot another high contrast detailed target at approximately the same distance and review the results, it should be very sharp!

With what you've indicated I highly suspect this particular 1D-X combo needs microadjusting. I will be interested to hear how much AFMA you come up with.

Matt

Jul 29, 2014 at 02:01 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Motion blur or out of focus

I had simialr looking images until I micro adjusted my 300 and TC 1.4 together. It is now razor sharp wide open.

Jul 29, 2014 at 02:13 PM
sivrajbm
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Motion blur or out of focus

Bruce Sawle wrote:
I had simialr looking images until I micro adjusted my 300 and TC 1.4 together. It is now razor sharp wide open.

+1

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:41 PM
mikekeating

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Motion blur or out of focus

Did you guys use a software program to correct it?

Jul 29, 2014 at 07:40 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Motion blur or out of focus

Bruce Sawle wrote:

+2

I had to micro-adjust on the fly with my 1DX and 400mm combo when using a 1.4TCII. This was actually quite simple. Once it was registered, the camera remembers the combination and you do not have to set it again. I did not have to micro-adjust the focus with the 1DX, 400mm and 2XTCIII combo.

Best of luck to you. if you need help doing the micro-adjustment, drop me a PM and I will be happy to walk you through it,.

Billy-

Jul 29, 2014 at 09:14 PM
schlotz
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Motion blur or out of focus

mikekeating wrote:
Did you guys use a software program to correct it?

Mike, don't spend money unnecessarily. Try the Dot-Tune method. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1187247/0

Matt

Jul 29, 2014 at 09:34 PM
Vancouver47
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Motion blur or out of focus

I prefer to use a barbed wire fence to set MA. All the other devices and methods use a much shorter focal length than real world sports. Focus on a post in the barbed wire fence at an angle. You can see the barbs in front and behind the post and see blur well enough to even use the camera LCD to set MA.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:46 PM
Joshua J. Ahern
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Motion blur or out of focus

thanks to all of you guys.

gschlact
I have the 1.4 extender version II
Safety SHift is already OFF
My speed is always 1/1000 - 1/12500 sec for soccer

schlotz
I use the central focus point, one focus point
I don't always stand up when shooting. I will correct this.
I'll go with the DocTune method
thanks for the link

Bruce Sawle
sounds like AFMA is the way to go. thanks

BillyHurst
thanks for the offer; I will certainly pm you if I need help

Vancouver47
thanks

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:21 PM
wembley
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Motion blur or out of focus

Josh:

This was from the Timbers game correct?

Conditions were pretty tough with the heavy rain. In fact when I was viewing the posted shots on the Timbers site, the quality seemed way below par.

Looks like the image is at 100% right?

TC, turf field, high humidity and heavy rain all play a part in the image quality and it might not have been just you that night.

BTW did you get any good pictures of Jack Jewsbury of the Timbers? it was his 300th MLS game. Only the 26th player to reach that number.

Cheers
Wembley

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:34 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password