FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2014 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

People usually defend what they own/use regardless of how biased they really are, it's just subconscious We also tend to downplay any advantages that are irrelevant to us. A few examples:

- GPS/Wifi is a gimmick
- Having video is stupid is a still photo camera
- Built-in flash is stupid in a pro camera
- Who shoots at more than ISO 6400
- Who needs 2 SD cards
- Live view is for P&S people
- Pro's don't use TTL
- 6D feels cheap (Pro bodies are bulky and unnecessarily heavy)
- My favorite, 12 mp is more than enough for any application

I could go on forever

Edited on Jul 30, 2014 at 11:21 AM · View previous versions

Jul 30, 2014 at 02:41 AM
melcat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

bcguy wrote:
I'm with this guy. Try finding an article pertaining to an original 5D on the internet!

I typed "canon 5d -ii -iii" into Safari's combi bar (without the quotes) and found millions of them. The whole first page of links look relevant to the original 5D, and the top hits in order are: Flickr's camera finder, 4 links from Canon at .au, Europe, .uk and the US, and a guy people don't talk about here.

You've gotta work with Google. These algorithms have limitations.

You gotta read Google's documentation, that's what ya gotta do. Go look under "advanced search".

TeamSpeed wrote:
You know what I mean if I say 5Dc, 5DI, or 5D1, you may not like it, but you are very clear about which of the 3 5D bodies I am talking about, and I don't have to waste any time coming back to clarify which.

Imagine the time sink fixing all your old posts could be if Canon brought out a 5DC specialized for cinema. It isn't even all that unlikely a scenario.

Jul 30, 2014 at 02:56 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

hijazist wrote:
People usually defend what they own/use regardless of how biased they really are, it's just subconscious We also tend to downplay any advantages that are irrelevant to us. A few examples:

- GPS/Wifi is a gimmick
- Having video is stupid is a still photo camera
- Built-in flash is stupid in a pro camera,
- Who needs shoots at more than ISO 6400
- Who needs 2 SD cards
- Live view is for P&S people
- Pro's don't use TTL
- 6D feels cheap (Pro bodies are bulky and unnecessarily heavy)

I could go on forever

I totally agree with that and those opinions should not even be taken into consideration...

Then there are those who mention the benefits of a new camera, pointing out only the benefits that work for THEM and THEIR NEEDS

Jul 30, 2014 at 04:03 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

Eric Gottesman wrote:
I wouldn't trade my 6D for a 5DII at all. It does nothing better. The 5DIII may be the 5DII successor, but the 6D also is a step ahead as well albeit a smaller step.

Lol I know the 6d is a great camera. Mine is sitting next to me with the 50L attached lol. I was just saying that because he was between the 6d and 5d so as a compromise get the camera in the middle lol 5dMII. I had a 5dmII and I preferred the files from the 5d and 1dsMii more.

Jul 30, 2014 at 07:47 AM
riotshield
• •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

I've owned the 6D as well as the 5D a few times (just bought one off here actually). The 6D to me is an upgrade in almost every respect. But for my purposes (daylight use, output mostly to 2MP or smaller for web) the results are nearly identical. Might as well save some money and use the tool that gets the job done for the least amount of money.

Jul 30, 2014 at 08:58 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

melcat wrote:

Imagine the time sink fixing all your old posts could be if Canon brought out a 5DC specialized for cinema. It isn't even all that unlikely a scenario.

... 5DC (1DxC) where the "C" is cinema is a known delimiter ... 5Dc where the "c" represents classic is also recognized as a delimiter between the other 5 series cameras.

Besides ... the later 5 series cameras have cinema (video), maybe we could call them the
5Dv or 5DV I & II ... ? .. That looks ugly ...

Now, ... I like the way 5Dc comes across ... just looks right ... it has staying power ...

... It's OK if you disagree with me ... I can't force you to be right ...

Jefferson

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:51 AM
dysenterygary

p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if I'm allowed back in this convo... I didn't mean to start a thread on proper camera nick-naming techniques.

ANYWAY, after a bunch more testing through all iso's relevent and with almost every lens I own (for FF) and using only remote shutter release, etc... I can finally confirm that the 6d is definitely better in basically every aspect. Phwew, that was a lot of work.

Here is one more question: every test shot I did was on a tripod and I actually measured the distance from the end of lens to the test subject (that was a hallmark card on a shelf) in every single instance the 6d images are a bit more zoomed in. I don't know how to measure exactly what percent, but I'd guess maybe 10%? Or something. I will try to include a link of a screen shot.

Edited on Jul 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM · View previous versions

Jul 30, 2014 at 09:47 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

dysenterygary wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm not sure if I'm allowed back in this convo... I didn't mean to start a thread on proper camera nick-naming techniques.

ANYWAY, after a bunch more testing through all iso's relevent and with almost every lens I own (for FF) and using only remote shutter release, etc... I can finally confirm that the 6d is definitely better in basically every aspect. Phwew, that was a lot of work.

Here is one more question: every test shot I did was on a tripod and I actually measured the distance from the end of lens to the test subject (that
...Show more
You're viewing in Lightroom compare mode at 4:1? Actually, regardless of the magnification you choose, it will be the same for each pic, which means the same number of pixels from each will be included in the area shown. Because the 6D has higher pixel density than the 5D, a region of, e.g., 800x800 pixels will represent a smaller portion of the total picture. This makes it look "zoomed in". I assume when you view the complete images they match up quite closely? If they actually varied as much as 10% that would be very surprising. Both bodies have 24x36mm sensors.

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:08 PM
dysenterygary

p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

Photon.... that is exactly right. I didn't know that lightroom did that. I feel like I've made myself the Jester of FM these last few days, but I've learned a lot. And that is why I'm here. Thanks for the help, everyone!

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:19 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

This thread got me started comparing a 5d3 (borrowed from a friend) with my current 5Dc.

Not scientific tests, just same picture shot handheld with roughly the same framing

set same WB on both cameras, same ISO , same shutter speed, same aperture on the lens.

So Yashica ML 50mm 1.7 lens used
Shot at 6000K (WB), 1/640, F5.6, ISO 3200 on both cameras

focus done manually (didn't nail it identical in the shots,as hoped)

5D3: https://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianbaltariu/14792796755/

5Dc: https://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianbaltariu/14812635043/

I may not have a scientific eye,but i'm blown away how similar the images look (in terms of color, noise, etc), especially that the 5D is maxed out at ISO 3200...

Jul 31, 2014 at 04:31 AM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

I did not own a 5D. I entered into the 5 series when 5D MK II appeared. But I used 5D a couple of times and it was/is a great tool. Although I did/do not do video the 5D II seemed to be the better solution in all aspects ranging from resolution over higher ISO capabilities to IQ. Half a year ago I went the step uo (yes, up) to 6d. Which is better in any aspect compared to 5D II concerning my needs (again higher ISO capabilities, better IQ, much more reliable AF system).

If one is happy with 5D it will be a great choice for few(er) money. If somebody has a need for twice the res, silent shutter mode, better IQ in much higher ISO settings, uses the center AF mainly and the screen to controll sharpness, EOS 6D is a mile away above 5D. Of course a new one is about 3 times more expensive. But that is quite normal compared to a (minimum) 5 year old used camera, in my opinion. 6D will be available at about the same or less in 5 years.

Jul 31, 2014 at 06:37 AM
alexandre
• • • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

Hi, long time no see. I used to post in the Alt Gear threads but this interests me.
I like Canon FF and use a couple EF lenses. I love my 92K-clicks-5D. Next year I'll travel to Orlando and might buy a 6D. If one has the money, it's a no-brainer IMO. If you're on a budget, like me, I might buy another 5D because mine can die any minute (and shutter replacement in Brazil costs more than a 5D body). Budget apart, like, it's pointless. I hope 6D (or 5D2?) prices decrease substantially in the next 6 months or so.
Cheers

Sep 07, 2014 at 10:44 PM
e.aland
• •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

yesss.

played with 5d, used 5D2 and 5D3 - and sold all 1D bodies...
and you guess that the only camera I kept is the - 6D !

I would NOT buy a 5D today as the 6D exists.

putting aside some shortcomings (missing buffer power, missing joystick, missing a modern AF module) this body renewed my joy to shoot prime lenses.

outlawyer wrote:
I have both, and I still use the 5D quite a bit. After all these years the images still wow me.
But the 6D is simply fantastic, and IMO the true spiritual successor to the 5D.
(yeah I have a religious devotion to the 5D

Sep 08, 2014 at 01:33 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

alexandre wrote:
Hi, long time no see. I used to post in the Alt Gear threads but this interests me.
I like Canon FF and use a couple EF lenses. I love my 92K-clicks-5D. Next year I'll travel to Orlando and might buy a 6D. If one has the money, it's a no-brainer IMO. If you're on a budget, like me, I might buy another 5D because mine can die any minute (and shutter replacement in Brazil costs more than a 5D body). Budget apart, like, it's pointless. I hope 6D (or 5D2?) prices decrease substantially in the next 6 months or so.
...Show more

I had a 5D (my first 5D, 3 years ago) with 381.000 clicks. When I bought it, it had 381.000. I used it for a year and so, and then sold it (and got the 5D II). That I sold to a friend, when it had 80.000 clicks, and then got it back from him at 240.000 clicks and after 2 months I sold it to somebody else (probably had 255.000 clicks)

Here too, the price to replace the shutter is probably 80% of the price of a used 5D...

It's a top notch camera, I cannot believe how much it costs now....

Sep 10, 2014 at 02:46 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

e.aland wrote:
yesss.

played with 5d, used 5D2 and 5D3 - and sold all 1D bodies...
and you guess that the only camera I kept is the - 6D !

I would NOT buy a 5D today as the 6D exists.

putting aside some shortcomings (missing buffer power, missing joystick, missing a modern AF module) this body renewed my joy to shoot prime lenses.

If you shoot high ISO and depend on clean results at high ISO, then yes, it's a no brainer: 6D is the tool for you.

But if you don't need ISO 3200+, then 5D is capable of very good results....

Sep 10, 2014 at 02:51 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

I had two 5D and a 5DII. Now I have two 6D. There's nothing wrong with the 5D and 5DII (well, one of my 5D was water damaged), but the 6D are better in every way.

Sep 10, 2014 at 02:54 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

by the way, since we're talking about the 6D.

I'm thinking of getting one my self, to complement my existing 5D.

I have one question. In terms of pure IQ, is there a difference between 6D and 5D3? and if it is, how big? and in regards to what exactly?

I've had a chance to shoot regularly on a borrowed 5D3 (with my 400 5.6L) and it's a very good camera, but ultimately,i'm interested in the IQ, and if it's on par with the 6D, then I'll go for the 6D in a heartbeat (since the 5D3 is too expensive for me).

Sep 12, 2014 at 02:28 AM
vin14
• •
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

I have both.

What I like about the 6D:

The LCD
You can push the shadows more if required
it's lighter / smaller
It's great at High ISO
Higher resolution, should I need to print really big
cleans its own sensor

What I prefer with the 5D
It works better with my 580EX
I think there may be a bit more scope to rescue blown highlights
The joystick

Sep 12, 2014 at 07:08 AM
dalite
• • • • •
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Canon 5dc vs 6d

Jefferson wrote:
... Why ... ? ..

Shakespeare said something about naming’s other than the generic …

Now what was that he said … ? …

Oh … I remember … Yea, Shakespeare would be fine with 5Dc …

_______

"A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet?" --Shakespeare.

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:25 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.