Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

Andrew Welsh
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

Most / all of the best "PJ" style photos I see of preparation photos have extremely clean, simple uncluttered rooms, where it's just the subjects.

I walked into this at my last wedding:
http://www.welsh-house.net/images/temp/clutter.jpg

Note: I am standing over a pile of at least 10 bags, and off to my left is a queen sized bed covered in clutter, with the little bench in front of it covered with sub sandwiches. You can't see it, but the makeup artist by the mirror has all her stuff strewn over that little table.

I, for one, am of the mind to just leave it alone and embrace the chaos-- it is the most accurate depiction of the day-- but am left wondering if I am to propel myself further, do I request people clean it up? Is it a function of the type of client I attract... are bridal preparations at super expen$ive weddings done in spacious, clean rooms with gorgeous light?

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

We get this a lot too...
Sometimes the best weddings get ready in the crappiest places and sometimes the worst weddings get ready in the best places.
IMO unless something is really in the way or looks hideous I generally do not move anything. However, I will reposition make up chairs etc. so that the best light is hitting them. I love pure documentary but honestly these days you have to help yourself out a little bit.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

I've seen crazy expensive weddings get ready in a crappy conference room, complete with a podium and tables and much cheaper weddings in beautiful rooms. In a perfect scenario I'd love to shoot every room as is, but I don't think that always is the best way to serve the client. It just depends on the situation...

Last winter we had a couple that requested almost all documentary coverage but she got ready in a very challenging room. I ended up lighting all of her getting ready shots and I think it worked out well: http://hofferphotography.com/2014/01/23/natalie-greg-union-league/

That's very rare though. Usually I'll just shoot with what's there and direct people towards good light sources if I need to. In a perfect world I'd give no direction, but in most cases I feel that clients would prefer direction if (and only if) it helps the photo. That's more of a result of reading the client than anything, in my opinion. Most of the videographers we work with are shocked at how hands off we are, so I think we're an exception compared to most.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:42 AM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

I know it doesnt really help the PJ aspect in the wide shots, but there was this thread.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1243822/0

Jul 28, 2014 at 06:56 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

like, tony, i prefer not to get involved and sometimes i dont. i work with what i'm given to the best of my abilities.

for this particular wedding, the room was your standard hotel room. messy...stuff everywhere (MUA and bridesmaids stuff). i didnt move anything of theirs, but suggested (along with the videographer) where the makeup should be put on...other than that, no direction or involvement from me.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1308985/

Jul 28, 2014 at 07:04 PM
Andrew Welsh
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

Thanks for your input Chuck. Stick 'em in good light and the clutter will melt away. Unfortunately in my situation above, I walked into prep already underway and had no say in where things were set up :/ Good to know for next time.

Jul 29, 2014 at 03:10 PM
myam203
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

For whatever reason, I actually don't even shoot a lot of getting ready stuff, and I'm definitely not there before the makeup person (if I were, I might make a suggestion), so I tend to just go with it. If the room is ugly, chances are I'll be shooting tighter to show less of the surroundings.

Jul 29, 2014 at 03:51 PM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

shit like this kinda annoys me....well...not so much this, but when the entire mess is the result of the make-up artist throwing her junk everywhere...

I'll make a point to enlist a few people to help clean it up and/or nuke the ambient with flash or ask the bride to get her make-up done by a large light source so that the fall-off renders all the clutter in shadow.

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:02 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

jamesmorophoto wrote:
I'll make a point to enlist a few people to help clean it up and/or nuke the ambient with flash or ask the bride to get her make-up done by a large light source so that the fall-off renders all the clutter in shadow.

interesting. do you have any examples where you 'nuked the ambient with flash' in a getting ready scenario? I'd like to see how that looks.

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:05 PM
Sodonn
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

right there with ya, and you are not the only one.
http://www.photographybysteveodonnell.com/MF/Client-Proofing/Weddings/Kayla-Robert/PreCeremony/i-Kkd2CWs/0/XL/KRS_069-XL.jpg

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:12 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

I too rarely ask people to move or clean things up, if it is bad like this I just shoot tight and no wide room views. Also try to shoot angles that are parallel to the floor or shoot up ever so slightly to minimize stuff on the floors and table tops.

Jul 29, 2014 at 04:35 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

Note to self... start telling brides that not only is good light better for their photos, but getting your makeup done under crappy tungsten or fluorescent (or both) in a conference room is not going to be ideal to achieve the look they liked during their makeup test.

Jul 29, 2014 at 05:07 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

Andrew Welsh wrote:
I walked into this at my last wedding:
http://www.welsh-house.net/images/temp/clutter.jpg

I, for one, am of the mind to just leave it alone and embrace the chaos-- it is the most accurate depiction of the day-- but am left wondering if I am to propel myself further, do I request people clean it up? Is it a function of the type of client I attract... are bridal preparations at super expen$ive weddings done in spacious, clean rooms with gorgeous light?

hahahahahahaha That's EVERY wedding for me. Seriously. I just embrace the chaos.

Jul 29, 2014 at 05:09 PM
mirrorrim
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

I move underwear if I cant avoid it in a shot. Or if something really sticks out in the background. Although I did leave a deodorant sitting out recently and now it really bugs me looking at those photos.

The only time I clean up the room is for the "bride putting on dress" shots.

Jul 29, 2014 at 06:12 PM
heikoM
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

canerino wrote:
interesting. do you have any examples where you 'nuked the ambient with flash' in a getting ready scenario? I'd like to see how that looks.

nuke-nuke-nuke (0:

heiko

Jul 29, 2014 at 06:13 PM
Jim Heine
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

TTLKurtis wrote:
Note to self... start telling brides that not only is good light better for their photos, but getting your makeup done under crappy tungsten or fluorescent (or both) in a conference room is not going to be ideal to achieve the look they liked during their makeup test.

I'm surprised MUAs don't go over this. Maybe some do? But then again, some MUAs stick the bride in the corner next to the fluorescent light or in the bathroom when there is a beautiful north facing window in the same room.

Jul 29, 2014 at 06:51 PM
ogerisg321
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

That last stylist is HOT!!!!!

Jul 30, 2014 at 09:14 AM
Brian Virts
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

I direct very little, but I do suggest quite a lot.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:16 PM
asparkes
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

I try to make suggestions too, but with larger parties and more drug-out timelines, it can be hard to have the makeup or hair "stations" moved, when I'm showing up two hours into the ordeal. In a perfect world, I'd do unlimited time days, but I just can't bring myself too anymore. Too much milling around when there are 8 or 9AM beauty appointments to match a 2pm Catholic ceremony.

Jul 30, 2014 at 03:59 PM
canerino
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wedding PJ- level of involvement (prep)

@jamesmoro...any examples of your technique of nuking the ambient during the getting ready stage?

Jul 31, 2014 at 06:08 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.