New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Newborn Pics

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Newborn Pics

*** WALL OF TEXT WARNING - Scroll to the end for the pics. ***

Well, I mentioned in another posting that I was going to get to be able to take some newborn pics for my brother and sister in law.

My dad and I got our chance last Saturday, and it was definitely a learning experience! The next time I do something like this there will definitely be more planning involved. This was more of an impromptu "come over and we'll see what happens" situation.

We should have talked more about certain poses and should have been more prepared in terms of scene setting. There was a lack of variety and I really hated whenever we had a less than optimal backdrop (planning!!). I will also have an assortment of wraps, hats, blankets, etc. to have enough options available. An overall more prepared approach would just make everything go that much smoother.

Lighting was pretty decent in the room that we shot in, and for most part just required a reflector. I had an off-camera flash at the ready, but we didn't get around to using it. I should have probably busted it out a few times for an extra boost or to at least have a comparison vs. natural light.

The outcome was decent - I don't feel that the shots were on par with the standard newborn albums out there, but they are serviceable and the family likes them (the most important part, right?). Gotta walk before you can crawl.

Anyway - this was more of an "my experience" post. Here is the link to the images.

Please don't feel the need to comment or critique them all (or any if you don't want to!), I just wanted to share the results for the curious.

Thanks for reading!

Jeff

Another link for the scrollers!

Jul 28, 2014 at 09:47 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Newborn Pics

Having just gone through a similar family shot I can feel your problems.

1 and 5 are my favorites, if some of the B&W were in color I might have another.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Newborn Pics

ben egbert wrote:
Having just gone through a similar family shot I can feel your problems.

1 and 5 are my favorites, if some of the B&W were in color I might have another.

Thanks Ben!

I don't know why, but I can't help but default to BW.

I've always dug them.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Almass
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Newborn Pics

Ohhhh, this is so sweet.

This is a perfect example of having sometimes the photos transcend the photographer.

There is lot of love in there. Well done.

I like 9 - 19 - 31

I would crop 12 and 14 to a 1x1 square.

Enjoy your new family and God bless.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:45 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Newborn Pics

Thank you Almass - they are BEAUTIFUL new additions to the family.

Now I can be a kick ass uncle for three kids!

I'll revisit the crops on 12 and 14 - cheers!

Jeff

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Newborn Pics

beavens wrote:
Thanks Ben!

I don't know why, but I can't help but default to BW.

I've always dug them.

Should have said, you have gotten some great moments here, I am B&W phobic so it is hard for me to appreciate them as much as I should.

But I do understand the feeling of satisfaction when an irreplaceable time in your family's life has been captured.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:52 AM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Newborn Pics

Jeff - nice shots, and great moments for sure. The one of the two babies lying on top of each other is really cute!

I feel the same way about photographing for family and friends. Not up to the standards of other photographers I've seen, but if the subjects like them, then I feel like I'm doing well.

Critique wise - #1 and #2 both seem a little too red in the skin to me. Maybe it's really like that though for babies? Skin tones is something I struggle with too, so take that with a few grains of salt.

Jul 28, 2014 at 01:05 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Newborn Pics

Thanks John!

For most of these shots I knocked up the WB slightly as they were clocking in a tad cool SOOC. Maybe I went too far?

Cheers,

Jeff

Jul 28, 2014 at 01:07 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Newborn Pics

beavens wrote:
Thanks John!

For most of these shots I knocked up the WB slightly as they were clocking in a tad cool SOOC. Maybe I went too far?

Cheers,

Jeff

Maybe...
My two tips that I got from AuntiPode for skin tones were
- reduce the magenta in the white balance. My strategy is to find a good neutral point (use all RustyBug's posts for that), then reduce the magenta. I often tend towards warmer, but with still reduced magenta. I normally just use the two WB sliders in LR.

But - I need to try the color balance tools I just learned in PS. Check my last few posts here - https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1303547/0#12441024

- increase the red hue. I normally do 5-20 points in the HSL panel in Lightroom

Also, I now pay attention a lot more to what the real colors are at the time I'm capturing the images. Some people have redder cheeks than others...

Edited on Jul 28, 2014 at 01:24 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2014 at 01:15 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Newborn Pics

Thanks for the tips!

I know that Karen is awesome at portraiture.

.edit I have so much to learn, ha.

Jul 28, 2014 at 01:20 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Newborn Pics

Wonderful set - well done.

Bob

Jul 28, 2014 at 05:48 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Newborn Pics

Bob Jarman wrote:
Wonderful set - well done.

Bob

Thank you, Bob!

Jul 29, 2014 at 06:16 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Newborn Pics

Two tips for photographing newborns, showing mom with baby is often the best. Also have mom hold the the babe with a blanket. That hides the holding and allows you to achieve a much wider range of good posing and you can easily adjust the position relative to the available light sources.

Jul 31, 2014 at 03:31 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Newborn Pics

Thank you, Karen - I'll keep that in mind should I find myself doing this again in the future!

I would have gotten more shots with mom, but she wasn't feeling terribly photogenic that day.

The blanket tip is great!

Cheers,

Jeff

Jul 31, 2014 at 06:23 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.