Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

dysenterygary

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

I did some experiments today with my 5d and my 50d. If I put it in aperture mode, and keep the iso the same, use the same lens, and keep it on auto white balance, the photos come out very different between the two cameras. The 5d keeps the images much warmer and darker, although in the end the IQ was still better. In the little experiment I did today, I used a nifty fifty, and tried to frame the photos the same and the 5d was always much darker.

Another weird thing is that the shutter speed was always much slower on the 5d, yet it was still darker. In the first experiment I did the 50d shot in 1/250 while the 5d shot in 1/125. I thought maybe somehow the crop factor could affect it, so I proceeded to take pictures of the same item (a flower) all over the place from several different distances and I could never get the 5d to match the 1/250 of the 50d.

Once I uploaded the photos into light room the 5d still had better image quality over all, but the photos were always much darker and warmer.

Oh, and yes, the metering was set to the exact center for both cameras.

Is there any way to "cool off" the AWB??

Jul 27, 2014 at 08:44 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

shoot raw and fix it in post

Jul 27, 2014 at 08:46 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

ISO is only an approximation and differs between cameras.

Also the white balance system will be different.. Set both to the same manually.

Jul 27, 2014 at 08:51 PM
dysenterygary

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

Both were shot in RAW.

Jul 27, 2014 at 08:53 PM
wtlloyd
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

Well, the exposure difference is going to affect the perceived white balance - why didn't you shoot in manual mode? Different cameras always meter the scene...differently.

If you are shooting jpeg, are you sure you are using the same picture style in both cameras? Did you change the default camera calibration profile at any time in Lightroom?

Why not shoot raw, manual exposure, and look at both files in Canon DPP? Canon probably will have the most "Catholic" color rendition between cameras.
If there remains a difference, and it's really important to you, you could try tweaking a custom camera profile on one of the cameras.

Jul 27, 2014 at 08:54 PM
wtlloyd
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

Crossposted.

Jul 27, 2014 at 08:54 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

It's not always feasible, but using a grey card or other white balance tool to set a custom white balance before shooting JPEGs should produce a very similar output.

Jul 27, 2014 at 09:16 PM
RyanGphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

There is a white balance shift in the menus if I remember correctly.. Might want to try that. You can use a grey card to set the white balance on each one. Shoot RAW. Then in Camera RAW (LR or PS) see what the values are and then go into the white balance shift and reverse them to set them to be as close as possible to each other

Ryan G

Jul 27, 2014 at 09:54 PM
stanj
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

Shoot a macbeth chart with both cameras along with your subject. Create a custom ACR color profile for both cameras. Then they will match quite well, and you need to do only minor subjective tweaks.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:13 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

dysenterygary wrote:
Both were shot in RAW.

RAW has no white balance, and no color, BTW- RAW is RAW. Everything beyond luminance per pixel is just meta-data.

Jul 28, 2014 at 01:11 AM
wtlloyd
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

Actually, to be pedantic, RAW is raw.

Jul 28, 2014 at 09:10 AM
PeterP1D
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

It is my understanding that the white balance in AWB is calculated from the image. Differences in framing, differences in exposure, perhaps even differences in ISO (through noise?) could easily have an impact in the temp value passed along to your processing software.

Jul 29, 2014 at 11:58 AM
PeterP1D
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

It is my understanding that the white balance in AWB is calculated from the image. Differences in framing, differences in exposure, perhaps even differences in ISO (through noise?) could easily have an impact in the temp value passed along to your processing software. Also of course it is quite possible the algorithms themselves are fundamentally different.

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:03 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

The WB is imprinted in the image file based on what you have set -- it will default to the setting in DPP or LR.

You can also use the Kelvin temperature to establish "identical" color balance. For example: Start with the "sunny" WB setting for daytime outdoor shooting and see how you like the shot, read the color temp in the PP program and shift the number up (warmer) or down (cooler) for image WB compensation. Let's say the camera default for sunny is 5200K and the image looks too warm on your monitor -- try the 5100K to 4800K settings and see if you like those better -- stop on the one you like and copy that WB to the other image files in post. The actual RAW content is never altered.

The only time you might need to be super-critical in the initial capture would be shooting video where you want footage to match. You might then have to send to Canon and pay to have the various bodies matches on color balance. But still imaging shouldn't be a problem.

Most cameras also have settings to globally change the color balance.

Then there is the previously mentioned custom WB.

Sorry if this is all too general and basic and I've misunderstood your technical need on this. Otherwise -- make PP your new best friend.

Lots of ways to skin the WB cat!

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Deborah Kolt
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

Setting Kelvin may get you closer, but not necessarily. I have two 1DXs; I can set the same Kelvin in both, and one will consistently show up in Lightroom 50 Kelvin lower than I set, while the other is 300 Kelvin degrees lower. In the 1Dx, it is possible to adjust the temperature, but thus far I've never tried it. I've just been setting them differently or syncing them separately in Lightroom.

Jul 29, 2014 at 07:44 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · AWB difference between cameras. Any way to fix it??

Don't forget that Tint affects the WB too. And it seems that Lr calculates things differently from the way the cameras calculate it.

Even if you made your own ACR profiles for each camera you would also have to factor in different lenses that may have different colour renditions - and they'd still be wrong if the lighting was different. This is far from being a trivial exercise but the saving grace is that most people can't tell the difference unless you put two different alternatives side by side and marked the bits that are not the right colour. So in the big scheme of things it becomes a relatively minor issue compared with the rest of the post processing effort and even the actual photo capture.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:07 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.