FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · The Calm waters of the Gulf

nextelbuddy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Calm waters of the Gulf

2 images from a recent beach trip to Destin Beach. one at sunset and the other during blue house with the July 4th fireworks from the local pier.

DSC_0385 by nextelbuddy, on Flickr

DSC_0394 by nextelbuddy, on Flickr

Jul 27, 2014 at 09:34 AM
killersnowman
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Calm waters of the Gulf

Both of these are really good. Even though they are simple compositions, they are not in any way simple images. I really enjoy the light and peace you have captured in the first and the great shore patterns, fireworks, and negative space in the second

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:08 PM
mingzeli
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Calm waters of the Gulf

love #2.

Jul 27, 2014 at 01:15 PM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Calm waters of the Gulf

thank you! it seems that a lot of people prefer #2 over #1 but I myself really love #1 the most. It just feels more inviting and dynamic than the 2nd one but I suppose the 2nd one is not seen as much as the first one in every day life or pictures so viewers are more drawn to the darker fireworks scene.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Calm waters of the Gulf

I think both of these are pretty nice, however the compositions are a bit empty for me. I think if you ever head back here, you should try shooting from where the waves come up to the beach, and then do some portrait orientation shots pointed directly up the beach. Using the leading lines and reflected light off the wet sand would really set these off, especially #1.

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Calm waters of the Gulf

I like #1 the most here, nice job working the sun in it. I think most people like #2 the most because how often does one see fireworks at the ocean like this? So #2 isn't really better than #1, it's just more different than #1.

Jim

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Calm waters of the Gulf

I like #1 over #2 because the natural aspect, but both are very good.

Until I read Justin's comment and made a visual as to what he said, I thought you nailed it. Would like to see a tad more beach as he suggested on the next visit. You caught that with the waves in the 2nd shot.

Gerard

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:55 AM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Calm waters of the Gulf

Thanks guys, what sets the 2 images apart as far as more beach in the foreground... #1 was shot with a 35mm and #2 was shot with an 85mm so its a little more compressed and composed.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.