Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · How would you handle this?

Buckeye1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How would you handle this?

I agreed to pay for the shipping of an item as a partial trade. I normally handle this by sending a FedEx label to the person involved with such an agreement. Though I did not mention the FedEx label in the PM this time, so that is my fault.

A day later, I got a PM from the person and said the shipping was $377 (the item valued at $2500). I responded as soon as I saw that PM (an hour) and asked him to stop that shipment as I can do it for much less. He did not go back to UPS but asked me to pay for half of the shipping cost. Should I?? I felt that I should have been informed of such a high shipping cost. Please be utmost honest as what you would do, and thanks in advance for your reply.

Cordially,

Edited on Jul 27, 2014 at 02:05 PM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2014 at 08:10 AM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How would you handle this?

At first glance something is fishy; you are too experienced a seller to be caught flat footed like this. Still, there may be a logical explanation.

In any case I'd say it's all on hold pending a detail of shipping prep, charges and insurance.

He did not go to UPS but asked me to pay for half of the shipping cost.

Can you explain? If it means he checked the price on line he can send you his shipping specs (zip, weight, insurance, surcharges etc.) You can double check his math.

Most importantly who is the carrier (if not UPS), what is the shipping method? Overnight, etc?

I'd say the defining standard is "actual third party shipping cost" + ins if agreed. Packing and premium shipping is not a 'seller add-on option' unless we've discussed it in advance and agreed.

Hope this is useful.

Edited on Jul 27, 2014 at 09:31 AM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2014 at 09:28 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How would you handle this?

If it has already been shipped, then pay the half-cost and get on with it. This one got away from you.

If it hasn't yet been shipped, then you should be firm (for at least one exchange) and say that since you offered to pay for the shipping, you should be the one to decide how it gets done. That's by FedEx using your own account. If the seller still insists on UPS, you'd have to wonder why...

Jul 27, 2014 at 09:29 AM
Buckeye1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How would you handle this?

He went to UPS to send the package out on Saturday and then PM me the cost. I immediately responded to him to stop the shipment, which he had time because it did not leave that place for several hours. He did not go, but instead, asked me to pay $185. My mistake was not mentioning the label as I could get that for less than 15% of what he paid.

Jul 27, 2014 at 02:06 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How would you handle this?

As jcolwell has said, "pay half-the cost and get on with it." This one did indeed get away from you IMHO.

Jul 27, 2014 at 02:23 PM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How would you handle this?

The opposite of this issue just played out in another "whens a sale a sale' thread. There the seller cancelled and refunded.

Now the question is you agreed to pay half and it appears the seller may want a huge windfall.

It's not a blank check --- nor is it verbal "I paid" --- it's the spirit of the agreement to pay half the ACTUAL shipping costs.

To a point I'd agree with the others --- BUT I would not pay until I got the actual receipt for shipping I agreed to pay half of and I'd have UPS hold the delivery until I got it.

Jul 27, 2014 at 02:25 PM
Buckeye1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How would you handle this?

I agreed to pay him $125, which stinks because it would only cost me $40 to ship that same package fully insured! I told him that I would only refund once the positive feedback is left for me.

Jul 27, 2014 at 03:07 PM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How would you handle this?

Get the paid receipt.

It sounds like a scammer ---

two options ---

he lied

or

he's in cahoots with a UPS shipper. If that is the case notify UPS and they will take care of the source of the problem.

Next, I'd hope you would consider FB detailing this --- FM needs to know ....

BTW there's still the matter of the actual condition / function / etc of the trade --- good reason to go slow with the money until that is confirmed.

Jul 27, 2014 at 03:14 PM
Buckeye1
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How would you handle this?

He agreed to the $125 after his trade-in is inspected and that he leaves me a feedback for my item. He is to send a copy of the receipt too.

Jul 27, 2014 at 03:58 PM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How would you handle this?

Jul 27, 2014 at 04:08 PM
StanOPhoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How would you handle this?

Buckeye1 wrote:
He agreed to the $125 after his trade-in is inspected and that he leaves me a feedback for my item. He is to send a copy of the receipt too.

So what happened?

Aug 06, 2014 at 09:28 PM
unclechuck
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How would you handle this?

Ben (Buckeye1) is a low key FM Good Guy --- to answer your question see his FB here, then click on his FB for the buyer.

Aug 09, 2014 at 07:28 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.