FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Auto ISO on 5D3

dhphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Auto ISO on 5D3

form wrote:
As long as you focus with center points only.

All the 5D3 focusing points work extremely well.

Jul 28, 2014 at 01:11 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Auto ISO on 5D3

tonytastic wrote:
AutoISO on the 5D3 doesn't work (at least for me) when a flash is attached.

That being said, if I'm shooting with pure natural light, it is a godsent as it works perfectly fine with a minimum shutter on.

All Canon cameras, I believe, go to ISO 400 if flash is used. There is no way for the camera to really know what ISO should be used once the flash fires, to guarantee the exposure needed. I believe this part of the reason anyways as to why auto-ISO gets locked down with flash.

I use auto ISO in Tv mode when doing sports. The last 2 NBA games I shot at 1/1600th with auto-ISO, and set an EC to +2/3 or so. It did a great job with pushing exposures to the right, and my aperture stayed around f2.8 to f3.5, but the ISO covered almost 2 stops during the game. I only had to worry about watching the action and nailing the shots during play, I never worried about the exposure being wacky or to the left.

ISO 6400

all the way to ISO 20000 (with a couple at 25600 even)

Edited on Jul 28, 2014 at 05:36 PM · View previous versions

Jul 28, 2014 at 05:25 PM
tonytastic
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Auto ISO on 5D3

form: I've read your posts about the 5D3 in the past and it definitely is unfortunately the experience you have been having, I've used my 5D3 quite extensively and recently sold my 6D secondary body to another 5D3.

TeamSpeed: I agree, too many moving variables when you have a flash and autoISO going on at the same time; would be great if they allow you to customize though

Jul 28, 2014 at 05:29 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Auto ISO on 5D3

Oh, and regarding the AF comments, I find my 5D3 as reliable as my 1D4, and only ever use outer AF points when tracking the players as they cross each other, drive up for a dunk, etc. I was worried at the beginning of the season, but once I nailed the AF settings for the conditions I was shooting, it has been pretty nearly flawless.

I use the outer most point during portrait shooting and can track a player and shoot when they go up for the shot, the 5D3 did this quite well.

Jul 28, 2014 at 05:39 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Auto ISO on 5D3

mikeinctown wrote:
... My T3i had auto ISO and yet my far more expensive 5D2 does not have it...

My 5D2 has it. Can't set max ISO or minimum shutter speed like the 3 but it has basic auto ISO.

Jul 28, 2014 at 06:01 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Auto ISO on 5D3

mikeinctown wrote:
That fact that people are having issues with auto ISO on a 5D3 makes me laugh. My T3i had auto ISO and yet my far more expensive 5D2 does not have it. Makes you wonder what the engineers at Canon have bouncing around in their heads.

It's NOT the engineers believe me. It's some marketing fool coming along and ordering the engineers to cripple it.
For some other features for other cameras you can even see they left behind code hooks for stuff that marketing obviously had them remove at the last minute. They forced them to remove MFA from the 40D and so on.

Jul 28, 2014 at 06:03 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Auto ISO on 5D3

form wrote:
Canon auto ISO is NOT good on the 5d3 because:

1. spot/weighted metering does not follow your focus point, throwing your exposures off.

2. Shadows do not recover well on Canon.

These two reasons make the D800/D810 much better for auto ISO: better shadow recovery, and the metering system tracks your focus point.

and they don't allow reasonable choice for min shutter speed in Av mode or EC in M mode (when it decides to overexpose and clip then you are truly done for)

(and no it's nothing to do with advanced, expensive hardware in the 1DX that allows more, it's a 10 cent feature and if you don't believe that look at the alternate Magic Lantern code base where someone has AutoISO in M mode with EC working as well as allowing any shutter speed you wish to be set as the minimum in Av AutoISO mode)

Jul 28, 2014 at 06:04 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Auto ISO on 5D3

skibum5 wrote:
and they don't allow reasonable choice for min shutter speed in Av mode or EC in M mode (when it decides to overexpose and clip then you are truly done for)

(and no it's nothing to do with advanced, expensive hardware in the 1DX that allows more, it's a 10 cent feature and if you don't believe that look at the alternate Magic Lantern code base where someone has AutoISO in M mode with EC working as well as allowing any shutter speed you wish to be set as the minimum in Av AutoISO mode)

Quite a bit of Magic Lantern is custom code to do things that the original firmware doesn't, and isn't always just exposing existing functionality in the factory firmware. Just because Magic Lantern allows something, it doesn't mean the original firmware allowed it.

Case in point, I am quite sure Canon firmware doesn't include Arkanoid, but you can play it with Magic Lantern.

Don't make assumptions that because Magic Lantern allows something, that Canon purposely turned off similar functionality. Those of us that program for a living understand this, and I expect there are quite a few here that have downloaded the code distro to look through it.

Jul 28, 2014 at 06:41 PM
RyanGphoto
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Auto ISO on 5D3

I just wonder why they made it so that the ISO is set to 400 and NOT allow the user to set the flash to ETTL or manual and allow the camera to make the ISO selection.. That would make sense to me.

I need to flash some of the jobs, but I will try and see if ALL of them need it.

Maybe I can get away with Ambient alone. I will see.

Ryan G

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:30 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Auto ISO on 5D3

TeamSpeed wrote:
Quite a bit of Magic Lantern is custom code to do things that the original firmware doesn't, and isn't always just exposing existing functionality in the factory firmware. Just because Magic Lantern allows something, it doesn't mean the original firmware allowed it.

Don't make assumptions that because Magic Lantern allows something, that Canon purposely turned off similar functionality. Those of us that program for a living understand this, and I expect there are quite a few here that have downloaded the code distro to look through it.

Yes I know. That wasn't my point. The ML talk was about different features. The 5D3 AutoISO code is new code and wasn't just a hidden routine already there with code that was called, the guy wrote and entered brand new code to add these features. However I do make the point that those features could have been given to the 5D3, the hardware support it and the code is trivial and when it comes to the highest allowed min shutter speed, I mean beyond trivial.

I didn't make assumptions (and as for assumptions don't assume who else here may or may not have done programming for a living ).

But poking around it has been seen that stubs for a few features got pulled here. And don't forget the direct admission by a Canon guy in Europe about the 60D and MFA (who, for whatever reason, admitted that MFA was removed solely so they could add it back in and give the 70D an extra 'new' selling feature over the 60D in the future ).

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:02 AM
mikeinctown
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Auto ISO on 5D3

Jeff Nolten wrote:
My 5D2 has it. Can't set max ISO or minimum shutter speed like the 3 but it has basic auto ISO.

In manual mode there is no auto ISO. If you have figured out where it is then me and I'm sure lots of other people would be greatful. Perhaps in Magic Lantern there is, but I'm not looking to use ML.

Jul 29, 2014 at 08:38 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Auto ISO on 5D3

For those of us - like me - who arrived on the short bus I'm not following this jangled discussion well. I have a 1Dx and have been amazed at how useful Auto ISO has proved to be particularly in rapidly changing light.

I haven't owned the 5DIII as long (and use it for different subjects like portrait, landscape, macro, etc.) It claims to have an Auto ISO function though I've not tried it. So questions:

1) Does the 5DIII have Auto ISO? (I believe it does.)
2) Does using it limit SS to only 1/400?
3) If ISO is set automatically, then assuming it is doing a decent job, why would EC be necessary?
4) I have all sorts of questions on ISO and flash but that's another discussion.

Help me out here.

Thanks,

Robert

Jul 29, 2014 at 09:15 AM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Auto ISO on 5D3

mikeinctown wrote:
In manual mode there is no auto ISO. If you have figured out where it is then me and I'm sure lots of other people would be greatful. Perhaps in Magic Lantern there is, but I'm not looking to use ML.

I'm using Canon firmware 2.1.2 on my 5D2. The ISO setting just below 100 (or L if you have ISO expansion on) is A and is there in M mode. But Edit: You may be right about M mode. When I press the shutter half way, the camera always picks ISO 400. So in M mode its there but doesn't seem to work. Pretty lame, I agree. I've always just used it in Av.

Robert: The 5D3 has Auto ISO and menu settings allow for setting maximum ISO and minimum shutter speed up to 1/250th second. We'd all like more, like your 1/400th. I use it more than with the 5D2 because of these settings. It works in all modes P, Av, Tv, and M where it does adjust the ISO to center the exposure. You lose exposure compensation in M mode, I guess no spare dial. I often under expose 1/3 or 2/3 stop under bright lights to reduce blown highlights. I've not used a flash enough to say how Auto ISO interacts with flash.

Jul 29, 2014 at 09:21 AM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Auto ISO on 5D3

skibum5 wrote:
Yes I know. That wasn't my point. The ML talk was about different features. The 5D3 AutoISO code is new code and wasn't just a hidden routine already there with code that was called, the guy wrote and entered brand new code to add these features. However I do make the point that those features could have been given to the 5D3, the hardware support it and the code is trivial and when it comes to the highest allowed min shutter speed, I mean beyond trivial.

I didn't make assumptions (and as for assumptions don't assume who else here may or
...Show more

Agreed about how features are deliberately removed or simply not added when all they have to do most likely is flip some flags in a makefile or a configuration to build the firmware with the features. That is the #1 way Canon differentiates their models, it is easier and more cost effective to cripple the software than create all kinds of hardware variations. I wish we had more of that design in our transportation software, we have so much hardcoded junk from developers in the past, instead of building a central configuration with all the parameters and flags in one place.

Also, I didn't make any assumptions (certainly didn't intend to anyways) about who programs and who doesn't ("Those of us that program for a living understand this..."), I just made a general remark that developers that have production systems out in the global space would understand both what is going on with Magic Lantern, and how Canon most likely manages their firmware releases.

Jul 29, 2014 at 12:15 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Auto ISO on 5D3

OntheRez wrote:
For those of us - like me - who arrived on the short bus I'm not following this jangled discussion well. I have a 1Dx and have been amazed at how useful Auto ISO has proved to be particularly in rapidly changing light.

I haven't owned the 5DIII as long (and use it for different subjects like portrait, landscape, macro, etc.) It claims to have an Auto ISO function though I've not tried it. So questions:

1) Does the 5DIII have Auto ISO? (I believe it does.)

yes

2) Does using it limit SS to only 1/400?

worse, you can only tell it not go below 1/250

3) If ISO is set automatically, then assuming it is doing a decent job, why would EC be necessary?

Well it wouldn't be if it is doing a decent job, but there are plenty of times the 5D3 can decide to well over or underexpose on most shots and in those cases without EC it's a problem.

Jul 29, 2014 at 01:23 PM
RyanGphoto
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Auto ISO on 5D3

The 1Dx is a different animal and DOES allow for EC in Auto ISO. The 5D3 does not. Why I have no idea.

I would love to be able to set my camera shutter and aperture and have the ISO bounce all the way up to 12,800 if necessary, but it doesn't. Sad.

Ryan G

Jul 29, 2014 at 08:45 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Auto ISO on 5D3

RyanGphoto wrote:
The 1Dx is a different animal and DOES allow for EC in Auto ISO. The 5D3 does not. Why I have no idea.

I would love to be able to set my camera shutter and aperture and have the ISO bounce all the way up to 12,800 if necessary, but it doesn't. Sad.

Ryan G

The 1DX didn't do this at its release, Canon offered a firmware update later to change that, along with some other items. The 5D3 doesn't have it because Canon uses those features to differentiate different classes of bodies.

Jul 29, 2014 at 09:55 PM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Auto ISO on 5D3

TeamSpeed wrote:
The 5D3 doesn't have it because Canon uses those features to differentiate different classes of bodies.

Which is absurd considering that other brands do it right down to Rebel level and seriously if you need such an ultimately trivial 10cent feature to sell your flagship, you don't HAVE a flagship. Even more silly is that they DO have a flagship in the 1DX, but marketing just goes to absurd lengths. How many by a 1DX because it has EC in AutoISO M now or no shutter speed min limit? 3,4, maybe 10 in the world?? So for what do they just do one more thing to annoy the general userbase at large for? Why erode brand loyalty drip by drip over such silly things?

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Auto ISO on 5D3

coz they can

As if their loyal users will never ever jump ship and will always upgrade with every new model.

Things will change in the coming years because too many people are sufficiently happy with improving iPhone cameras and so on. The big boys' market is no longer growing as it used to and will soon shrink.

I wonder how many of us would buy an extra lens or two if they did not feel they had to upgrade a camera instead.

Jul 31, 2014 at 09:59 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.