Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Tips for flash photography??

dysenterygary

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tips for flash photography??

I just got my Yongnuo Flash, and so far I really like it. But I feel like I've come up with a brand new way to screw up photos! Are there any tips that you can give me to help me get through this learning curve as smoothly as possible? So far the one thing I've found is that shutter speed is very limited. It seems like 100-250/sec is the sweet spot. It also seems like the zoom works pretty well for things that are over a few feet away. And anything under f4 is really hit or miss. I was using it with my 5d and a nifty fifty. Thanks!

Jul 26, 2014 at 07:16 PM
Lovesong
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tips for flash photography??

This a succinct list, and one you will want to learn more about from google U, but my advice:

-Always shoot manual on camera, TTL on flash (until you figure it out, and take your flash off camera).
-Drag the shutter- shoot at 1/15, 1/2 even- it balances the ambient
-rotate the flash head out to 90-120 from the subject when indoors. With direct flash you never want the head to be even close to directly lighting the subject

Rinse repeat.

Good luck

Jul 26, 2014 at 08:24 PM
dysenterygary

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tips for flash photography??

Thanks lovesong, yes one other thing I forgot to mention was the manual mode was the only way I could get decent results more than once.

Jul 26, 2014 at 08:33 PM
Lauchlan Toal
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tips for flash photography??

As mentioned, someetimes you may want to drag the shutter or up iso a bit to include some ambient lighting in the background. Also, if on camera, bouncing is ideal. I tend to zoom the flash to 70mm or so, and face it at whatever wall or ceiling seems closest or is whitest. I've had luck bouncing off corrugated aluminum ceilings, grey stone walls, wooden gym walls, and even concrete floors though, so don't be afraid to experiment. Just keep in mind the surface you're bouncing from so you can adjust flash output as needed. It really becomes second nature after a few hours. Personally though, I tend to dislike the look of bounced flash. It beats direct flash, but it still creates a distinct look. Whenever possible, I like to get the flash off-camera and into a modifier like an umbrella.
With shutter speeds, be careful not to excede the sync speed. I know with the 5d3 that's 1/160s, but the classic might be better. Speeds faster than the max sync will leave a black bar in the bottom of your photo.

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tips for flash photography??

You could always try asking on the more appropriate forum:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/44

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:42 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tips for flash photography??

dysenterygary wrote:
I just got my Yongnuo Flash, and so far I really like it. But I feel like I've come up with a brand new way to screw up photos! Are there any tips that you can give me to help me get through this learning curve as smoothly as possible? So far the one thing I've found is that shutter speed is very limited. It seems like 100-250/sec is the sweet spot. It also seems like the zoom works pretty well for things that are over a few feet away. And anything under f4 is really hit or miss. I
...Show more

http://bit.ly/1utn6kb/

Jul 26, 2014 at 11:20 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tips for flash photography??

Imagemaster wrote:

The fact is (as you know but choose to ignore) Canon flash is extremely picky about how it's used and the OP will get a much better set of replies here. I certainly have no issues with him posting that question.

He is right, manual mode is best for Canon flash.

One golden rule: exposure compensation and FLASH exposure compensation are NOT linked in any way, learn to use them individually and you will get consistent results, you really will

Also, if you are ging to use an omnibounce (which I often do) or bounce the flash you WILL probably have to use FEC to compensate, you probably shouldn't have to, but you will.

Jul 27, 2014 at 02:17 AM
dysenterygary

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tips for flash photography??

Imagemaster wrote:

Yes, that would probably make more sense.... sorry, I'm new here and didn't scroll past the Canon forum yet!

Jul 27, 2014 at 08:51 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tips for flash photography??

dhphoto wrote:
The fact is (as you know but choose to ignore) Canon flash is extremely picky about how it's used and the OP will get a much better set of replies here. I certainly have no issues with him posting that question.

You have no idea what I know about Canon flash. And it is your opinion (for what that is worth) that the OP will get better replies on this forum.

And who said I had an issue with him posting his question here? I simply made a suggestion because he MAY get more helpful replies on the other forum.

I beg your pardon for not being a know-it-all like some other people.

Jul 27, 2014 at 10:57 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tips for flash photography??

Imagemaster wrote:
I beg your pardon for not being a know-it-all like some other people.

Glad you admit that, about time

Note the lack of smiley.

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tips for flash photography??

dhphoto wrote:
The fact is (as you know but choose to ignore) Canon flash is extremely picky about how it's used ......

I guess Mr. Know-it-all missed the fact that a Yongnuo Flash is not a Canon flash.

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tips for flash photography??

dysenterygary wrote:
Yes, that would probably make more sense.... sorry, I'm new here and didn't scroll past the Canon forum yet!

No problem. You can post the same question on both forums, and will likely get even more replies.

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:59 AM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tips for flash photography??

http://pricelessimages.net/tips/flash.html

Jul 27, 2014 at 01:55 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tips for flash photography??

Strobist.com. Lighting 101. Nuff said! :-)

Paul

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:54 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tips for flash photography??

Paulthelefty wrote:
Strobist.com. Lighting 101. Nuff said! :-)

Paul

Not sure Strobist gives information on how to use Canon (or Yongnuo which function much the same) flash per se, just how to use creative flash

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Kisutch
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tips for flash photography??

yeah strobist is an incredible resource.

easiest way to get nice looking flash: go outside on a day that is cloudy, or find some shade on a sunny day. Put flash in umbrella (e.g. 43" Westcott), get umbrella as close to subject as possible without getting in the frame, adjust shutter speed to determine how dark the shadows are (ambient fill light). I promise you will like how the light looks.

Jul 29, 2014 at 01:30 PM
gto1970
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tips for flash photography??

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Jul 30, 2014 at 08:18 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tips for flash photography??

Understand Flash photography is always 2 shots in one.

Ambient and the flash, you can control both through normal settings.

Shutter speed only affects ambient
Flash power only affects flash

Jul 30, 2014 at 09:01 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tips for flash photography??

When using manual mode the secret is to underexpose at least a bit so that the automated flash can make a useful contribution without overexposing anything.

Even in broad daylight - or perhaps especially in broad daylight - you can use automatic exposure as usual but with underexposed (say -1.5 to -2 stops) of flash fill to put some light into the very dark shadows without making the image look too dull.

As with normal automated exposures, automated flash can be misled by the colour and brightness of the subject. you will learn that sometimes it pays to use manual everything. This would true for copying documents, for example, or dealing with very bright flowers, etc.

Daylight and most other ambient light tends to be everywhere at much the same strength, whereas your flash is strongest up close and gets progressively weaker at increasing distances. That is why, unless the subject and background are fairly close, you will find that the flash cannot light them both equally as well.

And I hope that very soon you will be using bounce flash and off-camera flash to control the harshness and position of shadows caused by the flash. Doing so will make a huge positive impact on your flash photography.

And last tip - practise the right techniques until you know them inside out and backwards because you will not want to be reading the manual for a refresher when you are supposed to be taking photos that really matter.

- Alan

Jul 31, 2014 at 08:43 AM
jjoejr
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tips for flash photography??

Greetings Gary from the great state of Texas. Priceless images website has very good tips to follow. I'm not a flash expert but like others, bouncing really enhances the results. I use the Mark IV with an obsolete 580. I use the omnibounce snap on diffuser. But dial in about 1 1/2 stops of compensation when bouncing off the ceiling for light loss. No red eye or blown out subjects. Nice soft light. Shoot on manual and flash is set to ETTL on canon. Try it. I think you'll really like the results indoors.
John

http://m0.i.pbase.com/o9/72/899372/1/156823380.ly5TFfLr.rambo.jpg

Aug 01, 2014 at 10:25 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.